zeb911

The Football Thread 13/14

Love or hate the beautiful game its upon us again as the season gets going on saturday 3rd for those of us in the cheap seats (below the premiership)

So, if like me you have your football addiction i'd be interested to know what youre expecting (or not!) from the forthcoming season......

me?

Team : Sheffield Wednesday FC. Supported them man&boy for over 40 years now (thats suffering for you!). Been to all the significant matches over the years including beating Man utd in the 91 league cup, both finals 93, play offs cardiff 2005 etc etc

This season? : mid table mediocracy at best but no doubt a season long flirtation with relegation:p

Game youre looking forward to? : Wigan away as i've never been to the DW. As I live in lancashire I mainly do the away matches these days so Blackpool, Burnley,Bolton,Blackburn, Wigan will be the ones for me

Players? : Lots of free transfers and older players dropping down but we need another striker as all we have if some 6'6" serbian with an unpronouncable name and Gary Madine who was fine in league 1 but can't seem to get going in the championship.

I'd love to win the league but 10 clear points and get back in the premiership but I suspect that wont happen.....god loves a trier eh?

over to you:thumbleft:

My team is Bristol City. Having been relegated to league1 after being on the verge the last couple of years, I'm optimistic that we should have at least a fighting chance of a play off place. We were underachievers the last couple of years with the quality we had, although most of the decent players were in the wrong position to stave off relegation. With the majority of decent players now gone to teams still in the Championship, we have added some young yet talented players. Albert Adomah is our star and will be phenomenal in league1 if we keep hold of him, although as his contract is up next summer and Wigan, Palace, and Cardiff all falling short of our estimations on what he is worth, know they have us over a barrel as the price is dwindling week upon week the longer it drags on. Financially we should cash in now.

Financial fair play has also forced our hand a little, but Steve O'Driscoll is a man we trust to turn things around and re-energise the club.

Apart from the federations cup its been a miserable summer for me so I cant wait for it to begin! COYR!

My UK team is Chelsea which is handy, as my brother and his Mrs. have season tickets, first row, Shed End just to the left of the goal.

When the Mrs can't make a home game because of work, i get to go instead. My other team is Real Madrid and we're just on the verge

of prising Gareth Bale from Daniel Levy's sweaty little dannies. The fact that he'll be replaced with zillions of quids is beside the point. Word!

Ah Chelsea....many happy visits there in the 80's :snipersmile::2gunfire: !!!

I'm old enough to remember when the shed end was just that....a shed!

Wednesday & Chelsea got promoted together in 88/89....our fortunes have been slightly different since its safe to say.....:p

Team : Crystal Palace. You'll find me in the lower holmesdale end next season

This season? : Hopefully Premier League survival, but won't be surprised to see us go straight back down!

Game youre looking forward to? : After a long stay in the Championship, I'm looking forward to most games. Will be strange to be against Zaha though!

Players? : Need all the help we can get! But a couple of defenders and another striker would be good

Ah Chelsea....many happy visits there in the 80's :snipersmile::2gunfire: !!!

I'm old enough to remember when the shed end was just that....a shed!

Wednesday & Chelsea got promoted together in 88/89....our fortunes have been slightly different since its safe to say.....:p

That's a bit of an over-statement!! What used to be The Shed was nothing more than a toilet!! :)

Team : Wigan Athletic - Supported the Tic's for about twenty two years. Followed them from Brighton and Stockport on a Tuesday night, up to a certain 2013 FA cup final delight.

This season? : Certainly wouldn't like to put money on the toughest league in the country, but I would like to think that top six is more than achieveable. Would like to stick my neck out and say top two with the signings we've made, but we still only have a small team, and six extra European games to play.

Game youre looking forward to? : Bournemouth away as it's a new ground for me. But the main attention has to be the European group stages. Be it we end up with Valencia or Derry City, I'm tres' excited all the same.

Players? : Grant Holt is a great signing for the championship and Fortune is already showing great form pre-season. Mcmanaman, Boyce and Carson being my other key players.

Just need some more pound notes to pay for it all !

That's a bit of an over-statement!! What used to be The Shed was nothing more than a toilet!! :)

I was being kind.......

James, I think wigan will be in the automatic promotion spot, QPR will choke despite all that money IMHO

I was being kind.......

James, I think wigan will be in the automatic promotion spot, QPR will choke despite all that money IMHO

Awwww.... you''re all heart!! :thumbleft:

the chelsea shed is always full

its full of * , and *

(*delete as appropriate!) ;)

Team : Grimsby Town! Never been much of a football fan (or sports in general) but after a few years working with a good friend of mine who is a lifelong GTFC supporter, I started going to a few games with him and got quite into following them over the last few years.

This season? : Pretty optimistic. Last season we got into the playoffs, and went to Wembley for the FA Trophy final. We just weren't quite good enough and ran out of steam after being on fantastic form mid-season. The managers have quite aggressively been clearing out deadwood, and making some good signings and I really believe they have the the right sort of ideas to get us where we need to be. I can't wait for the first game on the 10th of August!

Game youre looking forward to? : I've not been following town long enough to know the 'favourite' games, and grudges, etc. But the local derby against Lincoln on both boxing day, then New Years Day is always good fun so hope to make it to both of those :)

Players? : Well, we resigned some folks we had on loan who were really good for us, made some great new signings, and our star striker Liam Hearn (who missed most of last season with a bad injury) should be back and fully fit this season.. so really I'm looking forward to seeing what the team as a whole have to offer!

Team : West Ham Utd. Supported them for 33 years. Initial interest started when they managed to reach the FA Cup Final from the old 2nd division. Watched them beat Arsenal in the final with a Sir Trev header and have been hooked ever since.

This season? : Pretty optimistic. Despite the naysayers, Big Sam has done a fantastic job in bringing stability to a club in a complete shambles. We have played some great football at times. It's a complete myth that Sam's teams are purely long ball. We should be aiming for top 10, with an outside chance of Europe or a cup.

Game youre looking forward to? : The Spuds and Chelski games are a real buzz. It was nice to actual compete with Man Ure last season as well. Hopefully we can beat them this year!

Players? : We actually have a player other teams properly fear now in Carroll. My concern is his fitness. We've also signed Rat who is Romania's captain and we should be signing a right sided attacker very soon too. Kevin Nolan is a fantastic captain and will always score goals. Got high hopes for Matt Jarvis, who really found form in the latter stages of last season. We all know what a fully fit Joe Cole is capable of and with Diame, Diarra and Noble we have a very strong midfield. Keep an eye out for Ravel Morrison- seems like he's sorted himself out at last and has been absolutely electric in pre-season...

Edited by CazzaVR

Team : Arsenal, ever since i first saw the legend that is Tony Adams dominate the field!

This season? : Top 3 but being a realist unless we get 2 more world class singings we will struggle!

Game youre looking forward to? : Arsenal v Spurs of course! Always a cracking match!

Players? : Jack wilshere and Santi cazorla in the same team! what a prospect!

Team : Glasgow Celtic - umpteenth generation despite living down south. I try to fly/drive up as often as possible but it's getting more and more expensive these days...

This season? : League win wrapped up by April, at least one domestic Cup, getting to the group stages of the CL would do it for me. Getting to the last 16 is a possibility although I still think we fluked it last season...maybe even last 8? Going to be tricky having lost arguably our best player, and top striker, in the transfer window.

Game youre looking forward to? : Any and all European ties if we make the CL. If we don't get to the group stages then somebody may as well unplug the lights for a year because there's not much else to look forward to in the SPL

Players? : Lost Gary Hooper to Nahrwich and big Vic Wanyama to So'ton, as well as the likes of Thomas Rogne and Paddy McCourt. Have brought in a young Dutch centre half who's already injured, a Portuguese striker called Amido Balde who has - frankly - looked pish so far, and some winger called Derk from Ajax who talks a good game but has only played about 40 games in 3 seasons. I'm not optimistic. We desperately need another striker to replace Hooper, and a couple more midfielders (one enforcer, one more creative) wouldn't go amiss either. Some of the youngsters coming through look quite exciting, and players like Adam Matthews and James Forrest I expect will have big seasons.

Team : Crystal Palace. You'll find me in the lower holmesdale end next season

This season? : Hopefully Premier League survival, but won't be surprised to see us go straight back down!

Game youre looking forward to? : After a long stay in the Championship, I'm looking forward to most games. Will be strange to be against Zaha though!

Players? : Need all the help we can get! But a couple of defenders and another striker would be good

That ruddy song of yours still haunts me from 'that' last match of the season a few years back.....:bonk:

Mind you youve done pretty well since I see !!

Aha.....characteristic good start from the mighty Wednesday :roll:

Wigan off to a flyer though, everybody(apart from me) happy with the first day?

New players showing excellent early form and Wigan top of the league ( okay it is only the first day ). Just needed notlob to get stuffed, but I guess I shouldn't be so greedy.

Be nice to see Wigan early on the football league show for a change, rather than last on MOTD.

Edited by James.

Led twice against the not so "mighty Bradford" and still couldn't manage a win...........

Early days, but Jay Emmanuel-Thomas looked fantastic from what I've heard. Seven new first team players will always need time to bed in, but the usual defensive mistakes cost us again with two very soft goals conceded.

Hopefully it'll get better in time, and tbf I'd never have thought we would be dominating so early on in the season. Onwards and Upwards though hopefully! COYR!

Well, I am with Zeb911 on this one.

Supported Wednesday all my life. Used to live 2 minutes from the ground, but now live in Wakefield and don't get to many matches any more.

Have to say that we may struggle again this season, but am hopeful for a mid table finish.

Well, I am with Zeb911 on this one.

Supported Wednesday all my life. Used to live 2 minutes from the ground, but now live in Wakefield and don't get to many matches any more.

Have to say that we may struggle again this season, but am hopeful for a mid table finish.

well damn and blast there's 2 of us !!!

whereabouts were you steve? I was a few miles up the road in oughtibridge (now in lancashire doing missionary work :smug:)

Zeb911. I used to live in Hillsborough, near to Malin bridge.

My parents still live down in Sheffield, in Bradfield, and my grandparents lived in Oughtibridge.

Early exit for Wednesday in the Capital One cup at Rotherham.

Dave Jones is not a happy man at the moment.

At least we can concentrate on the league now. ( seem to say this every season )

Rotherham for gods sake!

Natives could be restless if we dont get a result against Burnley on saturday

Not a good weekend. Losing at home to ruddy burnley I ask you.....could be a long old season at this rate....

At least you didn't score 4 on the road, and still lose! Mind you, I suppose you could say Coventry were on the road too! Same story different season for us again!