Jamie

VDO gauge panel - pic request

Does anyone have a picture of the VDO OEM voltmeter and oil pressure gauge panel fitted in their car? I've done a search and found loads of pictures of them loose but none fitted.

I've just bought a set that have been modded for an early dash and I need to re mod them to fit them into my car, but I've just discovered the back of the centre console where the ashtray screws in has been broken and bodged so the ashtray is on the **** (never noticed it until today) and I'm having trouble lining up how it and the gauge panel should sit...

If anyone has a picture of theirs fitted it would really help me out :)

Brilliant cheers Mic. In the pic, the right hand side looks inline with the edge top to bottom - do you remember it being flush or did it sit slightly further back towards the top, below the lighter?

Slightly further back at the top.

It basically lined up just underneath the lighter/ashtray. I don't have any other pics I'm afraid by the car is now owned by Billcor so you could always PM him.

Nice one cheers again Mic :)

I think I'm pretty much there now after looking at your pic and description thanks mate but if anyone else fancies chipping in with any pics or suggestions, please feel free...

I trial fitted mine today (not wired in yet), so I've snapped a couple of different angles which might help.

9460745558_4a4200e9b3_o.jpg

9457964843_008856c170_o.jpg

9460741838_49a53e206a_o.jpg

It only took me about 5 mins to fit as I just wanted to see what they look like, so I might be able to make them line up a little better, but thought it might give you a better idea.

That's awesome thanks Fay. I've got a little bit of fettling to do but should be able to make it fit I reckon. I think I've got a spare connector kicking about somewhere and should have enough cable left over to make a loom - if you need it just give us a shout :)

Thanks very much Jamie. I'll be sending my car to JMR for a few bits and pieces just as soon as my Jetta is back on the road, so I was planning on asking them if they would mind getting all the extra parts I need, including the pressure switch, but perhaps it would be better if I supplied what I can? Good to hear you're getting on well with the re-modding!

Hi Fay, Hope you don't mind me asking where you got your gauges from? they look excellent! :thumbleft:

Jochen.

Hi Jochen, no, of course I don't mind! I bought mine from Classic Parts (via another member) but I think the last few were sold. I always thought how good they look too, but I only bought a set when I thought there weren't many left... I didn't want to miss out! Can't wait to get the wiring sorted out!

Interesting, I didn't know they were still available. In fact, I thought I'd got one of the last 2 or 3 units! Glad that there are though, since there is obviously still demand for them! From what I remember, those look to be a reasonable price too.

thought it was gonna be a diy job. Its here if you get stuck though :)

thank you, but no chance I'll be doing it. I'm hopeless enough with anything mechanical, but electrical stuff really is a dark art!

Edited by scarlet_vr6

I love these guages. I don't have a shot at night but I can tell you they look superb when illuminated

On a similar note, does any one have pics of gauges fitted in place of the ashtray/lighter? I wanted mount 3 in there but am having trouble finding a facia/surround any tips/advice welcome :)

Is that not for LHD ?

No the LHD part number is 535, this is 536.

Murdo - PM Henny - he had a set for sale a while back that he had done himself so should be able to offer some good advice.

have a set brand new, never used with original box and fitting instructions and receipt. will post pics later today.

No the LHD part number is 535, this is 536.

Murdo - PM Henny - he had a set for sale a while back that he had done himself so should be able to offer some good advice.

When you do find out, share the love here please! :-)

Hahaha yep I saw those - absolutely insane. I'm thinking of ordering every single set classic parts has in stock cos lets face it, if a used one is worth £385 a brand new ones gotta be worth a grand easily :lol:

Just bought one of these on ebay for £100 (arrived in the post today) been after one for years. As per the advert, the c it was in had been layed up for a year and the unit has been tarnished on the surface with moisture, dose anyone know if there's a way of removing this? I think it was still a bargain after seeing that one sell for £385 last year, but didn't realise til 2 days ago that you can still buy these new :-(

Cheers for that :-) I'm not sure, but I think the tarnish might be on the inside, can't tell, doesn't look that bad tho as it goes, I'll defo be looking to get all the neccessaries needed to wiring it in over the next couple of weeks

Don't use T-Cut!!! Try Meg's Plastic-X or toothpaste but try it in a small inconspicuous area first to make sure it doesn't marr the plastic