borachris

My final attempt to make a working car! 3.2 24v Rado

Tasty updates!

Yeah those oil less turbos aren't cheap are they! Reading between the lines, their ceramic bearing system can be put into any turbo but the only thing that put me off was you have to periodically regrease the bearings. I'm a fit and forget man and not sure if I could be bothered with the faff!

Yeah you can get at the lower left intake bolt with a long ball ender mate.

It's coming along nicely mate!

I wouldn't mind having to grease them up every now and again, the car only did about 1200 miles between MOT's and was only off the road for a couple of months, so I don't think they'd need doing that often. Although I dare say i'll drive it a bit more once the 24v is done lol

Got the manifold all bolted up but forgot about the rear bolt that is fixed to a bracket on the heatshield, which now won't line up, I was tempted to leave it but obviously its there for a reason so i'm probably going to have to unbolt it again!

Pretty excited for Saturday, i'm on nights so i'll be finishing work at 7am getting a couple of hours sleep and then heading off to my mates to get the last few bits sorted.

Need to connect up the fuel lines, fit the ECU and connect all of the fusebox back up. Once all that mess is out of the way I can see where the pedal is going to fit, which reminds me I forgot to order the pedal fixings from the dealer, I think they are getting sick of the sight of me now!

Is yours running now mate? Not seen any updates for a while!

It's not running quite yet but it is back on all four of it's wheels! I need to get an exhaust fitted, fit new front solid brake lines, sort out the air intake and then the legalities of getting her roadworthy. After that then it's body work!

I've driven a VR6 with the new upgraded shift, it's refreshing!

It's not running quite yet but it is back on all four of it's wheels! I need to get an exhaust fitted, fit new front solid brake lines, sort out the air intake and then the legalities of getting her roadworthy. After that then it's body work!

I've driven a VR6 with the new upgraded shift, it's refreshing!

I've just totally forgot about everything else on purpose, I need to drive it before I get bored or it'll never get finished! Once it's on the road I can start replacing bits and bobs without loosing interest in a project that's going nowhere fast(literally lol)

Good to hear the shifter is worth it, the gearchange on mine was shocking!

Fingers crossed for the first startup today, just finished a nightshift so off to bed for a couple of hours before heading over to do a bit!

Cheers but no joy :(

At the moment we can't get the fuel pump going, the wiring behind the fusebox is an absolute mess I don't know how anything ever worked lol

Going to unplug everything and try again tomorrow!

AFAIK there is power supply from VR6 ecu for fuel pump relay. But Im not sure how is it done with complete r32 wiring loom. Im using extra relay for this with my dta ecu.

Thanks David, I'll look into that and see if that's part of the problem :)

We did find a yellow and black wire in the loom going to the ECU that isn't connected inside the car, need to see if we can find out where it goes, will probably pull the fusebox out again to get a better look

Doubt it would be but I have a few spare CE2 fuseboxes kicking about at home if you needed a replacement one for free! Coming on well, can't wait to see it running :smug:

Doubt it would be but I have a few spare CE2 fuseboxes kicking about at home if you needed a replacement one for free! Coming on well, can't wait to see it running :smug:

Thanks for the offer Pat :)

Currently I don't have 12v at pin 3 on the big ECU plug, need to find out why, when I get time to look at it again :(

Well still can't get her started, a little further on than we were previously but still no joy :(

So I bought a turbo to try and lighten my mood lol

0E2E041F-5CB5-46D0-A0EB-61C14DF2E983-207-0000000EB716E4D5_zpscc361f0e.jpg

B341CCB5-B73A-40C6-BF59-2DA9DD5AE80D-207-0000000EB04A302F_zps8cc37008.jpg

It's off a Scania truck, I believe AiResearch is an old subdivision of Garrett so quality should be a lot better than the cheapo GT35's I was looking at, and this was only a little bit more than an eBay Chinese special!

Not too sure on sizing tbh but I guess we'll see when it arrives!

Also bought a 44mm Tial external gate and a Forge DV from the classifieds on here.

Nice blower!

If memory serves, the fuel pump trigger wire in the 12v harness is a thin yellow one with blue tracer. Drop the fusebox down and look at the back of relay 167 and you'll see it. The trigger wire from the R32 harness joins onto that wire. On MK4s/5s the main prime is triggered by the door open signal and then the pump only runs during cranking and / or there's a crank sensor signal. If you turn the ignition to stage 2, you just get a quick pulse from the pump and then stops. I think it's a quick "Are you there Mr relay?" "Yes I am ECU sir" kind of check.

The lack of door switch priming wasn't an issue for me, it always fired on the button :D

Edited by Kevin Bacon

Found a possible cause for the issues, better explanation in the 24v conversion thread, but basically the ECU has a checksum error which could stop it starting the engine.

Cheers Kev I will have a look at the trigger wires at the weekend!

Will get some more turbo pics when it arrives, just hope it's not too big, hard to tell from the pics! Not sure if the exhaust housing has 1.32 AR on it lol

Aye I've got my priorities right as usual Fuzz, buy bits to make it fast before it even manages to move anywhere under its own steam haha

Gotta be an update by now? Need my fix!

Tell me about it. Going by pass adventures this could well be sold by now ha..ha...

Come on Chris

Well guys bad news, new owner is picking the car up tomorrow :(

Tbh I've just lost interest in it all, with all of the delays and carry on it was inevitable!

Or I could be lying and I might have a good update at the weekend......

Well guys bad news, new owner is picking the car up tomorrow :(

Tbh I've just lost interest in it all, with all of the delays and carry on it was inevitable!

Did you just cut n paste that quote in there Chris? Ha..ha.. Looking forward to next update mate