Jim Bowen

Recommend a Vacuum Cleaner

Had enough of the one i use, its just a cheap electrolux one, i find the nozzles too large, the pipe gets in the way, the power button is broken so you have to keep a foot on it.

Been looking for something else, but can't see anything i had in mind. Just wonder what other people use.

It'll only be used for the car, not sure about some of the little handheld dustbuster types, can imagine them running out of power etc

you need something with a lot of suck for car carpets I reckon, I use the house dyson (old but fairly powerful DC07), we did buy a vax gator handheld which sucks very well for a handheld, but it's still not a patch on the mains fed 1200 watt motor of the dyson and doesn't last long at all, like you thought.

I'd look for a second hand dyson DC07 or above rather than a cheap new vac, they're well made and even if the worst happens and the motor gives up you can buy a new pattern replacement for £25 quid.

Edited by davidwort

Cant beat a George! A fair bit of money if its just for the car at £200 but they are excellent.

I hope George is more powerful than the Henry I had.

People obviously buy into them because of the cute eyes on the front and human names, but underneath they are very average vacuums.

The Henry I have has the secondary switch for more suction , if it pulls clients carpets up when I'm finishing a job it's powerful enough alright .

A Dyson. I use the full size wheelie type with attachments, but my bro has just bought the handheld rechargeable jobbie, it's very good indeed.

The Henry I have has the secondary switch for more suction , if it pulls clients carpets up when I'm finishing a job it's powerful enough alright .

Mine must have been an old one as it only had one switch. Apart from said switch losing it's latch (had to tape it down and use the wall socket switch instead), it was reliable enough, but vacuums less than half it's price easily out sucked it!

I hope George is more powerful than the Henry I had.

People obviously buy into them because of the cute eyes on the front and human names, but underneath they are very average vacuums.

Its very good actually Kev. Very powerful motor and suction is the best I've had personally. (Beats the Dyson hands down for sure). Its our main hoover in the home and it was bought as I we've used Henrys on Ships for years, and they are indestructable! I didn't realise the Henry on general sale has a plastic casing though, the ones we use have metal casings. The George is Heavy plastic but still very robust. :o

My Henry was plastic too. Maybe I'll give George a look. Can he suck up wet things too? lol

I did like the way Henry coiled the cable up in his head actually.

Henry is the best vacuum cleaner for this type of job or infact any kind of job.

Mine is soley used for Building renovations, car etc etc, being downgraded from the house. Have a Sebo for the house now as this is an Upright.

Miele make the absolute best Vacuums, but up until recently they only manufactured cylinder vacuums, but recommended Sebo for Uprights.

Henry is about as good as you will get for the price, being close to half of the Miele.

You also do not need to use bags in Henry, I never have and it is easily 20 years old.

Kev - you must have had the one in a million that was faulty, not up to the mark.

Numerous times they are used in Commercial situations due to their suction, durability etc etc.

Yep, Toad should be here anytime soon.............. !!!

Henry is the best vacuum cleaner for this type of job or infact any kind of job.

Mine is soley used for Building renovations, car etc etc, being downgraded from the house. Have a Sebo for the house now as this is an Upright.

Miele make the absolute best Vacuums, but up until recently they only manufactured cylinder vacuums, but recommended Sebo for Uprights.

Henry is about as good as you will get for the price, being close to half of the Miele.

You also do not need to use bags in Henry, I never have and it is easily 20 years old.

Kev - you must have had the one in a million that was faulty, not up to the mark.

Numerous times they are used in Commercial situations due to their suction, durability etc etc.

Yep, Toad should be here anytime soon.............. !!!

A little more insight into my vaccum life.....

My biggest complaint of my old Henry was it's lack of suction. It was especially noticeable in the house with the carpet / lino head. It seemed to just move the dirt around rather than sucking it up, just like a Dyson :D Using the tube in the car, it was merely adequate but it certainly wouldn't suck up pea shingle like cheapo hoovers do with ease. I think I'll just it put it down to be old and worn out perhaps! It was solidly made for sure, but it's performance wasn't inline with it's price.

I also have a Miele upright for the house because you just cannot beat a heavy vaccum's weight pushing a rotary brush into carpet imo, and they are much less effort than pushing a carpet head around with a Henry style hoover. The suction from the accessory hose is waaaaaaay stronger than Henry, but it's a very heavy hoover and lugging it out to the car can be a pain. The Miele is so far the only upright I've owned that has resisted the power of long female hair jamming the brush!

I did recently buy a stainless steel Henry style hoover from Machine Mart for the car and sucking ash out of the fire place, but I think the ash has wrecked it as it's suction has gone right down, even after a thorough clean up.

I've also managed to break the Miele a few times too. I think I should take up a career in product testing because I always seem to get 'a bad one' or break things easily. You name it, washing machines, irons, dishwashers, hoovers, Fridges, they don't last 5 minutes in my house!

So maybe a George in my life might give me the suction I need :D

Do you remember the Kirby Hoovers salesman rocking up to your door with their £800 hoovers? They look like they were from the 60s with it's light on ther front, but those things were crazy powerful and came with some mental accessories, like sanders, hair clippers etc

Here is the Kirby in all it's 'retro' splendor.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75623[/ATTACH]

ha ha , yeah my parents have one, has a carpet shampooing attachment that spreads foam but you then need to leave to dry before sucking up??, the vac weighs a ton and a real pain if you need to take it up and down stairs, but doesn't actually pick up pet hair very well despite practically pulling the carpet up off the grippers. I think it's best left for hotel corridors :lol:

Henry's are great, a lot of valet bays use them.. i reckon kev had a duff one.

I'd like a george and recently missed out on a £129 at argos deal..

I've just picked up a karcher wetvac for car use from their outlet site, its well reviewed on DW and for the price was worth a punt. Not used it yet though!

http://www.karcheroutlet.co.uk/products/product.asp?id=4923