Bullfinch

Heyday of the Corrado

Interested to get people's thoughts on when was the best era for the Corrado. Was it when it was brand new or is it getting better with age? I really enjoyed driving my first VR6 in the late 90's as it was one of the fastest cars on the road. Today most turbo diesels can keep up or go faster and whilst we all hope it will go on to be a classic for me the jury is still out.

I also think the late 90's were the Corrados heyday. There is no doubting that the Corrado was one of those cars that turned many heads over the years, and still does! But it was given a 'Modern classic' status reasonably early on in it's life and we would all like to think this will help the Corrado hold it's money, but unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case. You need to be a certain type of person to purchase a Corrado these days, money is tight and modern diesels are hard to beat!

Edited by dumptyboy

You need to be a certain type of person to purchase a Corrado these days, money is tight and modern diesels are hard to beat!

I fully agree, we have a Kia C'eed Diesel estate as a works car and for the money I think it's fantastic! It goes well enough, economical and has good kit in it. Don't get me wrong, I can't get over the badge personally and I'm a massive vw fan (we have 3 in the house between 2 of us!) but apart from that it's a great example of how budget diesel motoring has progressed.

We all need our heads examining! Corrados are great fun and a bit of a niche classic but are showing their age against modern basic cars!

I'd say the 90's. The Corrado is in a very strange period right now. It isn't worth much but isn't yet quite old enough to be a true classic. It's not weel known enough to have retro value like a Golf mk1 or 2. Sadly I feel it is in a near terminal decline for another 5 to 10 years (and then prices will bounce considerably). I also feel that by the time it is really old enough to be interesting to the general public there will be so few left that the wonderful community we have here will have evaporated away.

So I'd have to say that the 90's were the heyday.

Actually I think it was the early 00's. In the 90s they were still a very pricey car and so mostly owned by older guys who were not that savvy with the internet, clubs and forums.

I bought my first one (16v) in 1998 and it was 6 years old. Cost me 6k at the time.

It wasn't until 2000 when I joined the yahoo egroup that things really go going with any kind of Corrado scene.

My car is now fair weather toy and the charger makes up for the general advances in performance ;)

I drive a mk7 golf Gt TD as my daily (150 bhp) and it is immense, I still think that around a track it might beat the corrado :(

Edited by Hofmiester

I would probably agree with the late ninties early 2000's when Corrados suffered very little depreciation and fuel costs were not such an isssue. I am not sure where the market will go in the future. It amazes me how strong the money is for MK1 and MK2 Golf GTI's even the standard non GTI spec MK1's are making good money. I was fortunate enough to pick up a one owner low mileage MK2 GTI about four years and it is making more than if I had put the money in the bank. This does not appear to be the same the Corrado though. I cannot complain about my Corrado's depreciation (approx £4-5k in 12 years not taking into account running costs etc), I would expect prices to rise as people return to the fold looking to relive thier past with a weekend toy.

If I had to make the choice between the Golf and Corrado, the Corrado would win every time.

I still think that around a track it might beat the corrado :(

Dude you serious? if that's the case something must me set up wrong!

I also think the late 90's were the Corrados heyday. There is no doubting that the Corrado was one of those cars that turned many heads over the years, and still does! But it was given a 'Modern classic' status reasonably early on in it's life and we would all like to think this will help the Corrado hold it's money, but unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case. You need to be a certain type of person to purchase a Corrado these days, money is tight and modern diesels are hard to beat!

Turning heads...Tesco Guy just delivered shopping and commented (positively) about the C in the driveway. Other Tesco guys have as well. He also mentioned another C which I realised is Elliot's up in Fintry

We all need our heads examining! Corrados are great fun and a bit of a niche classic but are showing their age against modern basic cars!

You need to be a certain type of person to purchase a Corrado these days. We all need our heads examining!

Had a mail yesterday from the previous owner saying if I ever come to sell he wanted first dibs. Reminded me that I was stopped in Tesco's car park by someone who wanted to do a straight swap with his SAAB 93 Conv (probably 05 or 07). I said no. Heart ruling head. I could have done the swap and bought 2 on the proceeds of selling the SAAB. The guy seemed serious as he had parked up beside the C and was waiting for me to return.

(what is it about Tesco)

Hmmmm lots of good points BUT just read the chufties thread on here ;)

I dont know of many cars which cause complete random strangers to approach us & ask if we want to sell but our rado's definitely do!!! lol

Corrado TDI?

The conversion for tight people :D

It's amusing and different for a day, but that chuntering tractor noise and narrow power band would drive me nuts very quickly.

To those not in the know might say: "Oh look, nice Corrado, shame it sounds broken and smells like a bus" :)

Dude you serious? if that's the case something must me set up wrong!

It would you know. Corrados really aren't all that in the handling stakes, especially not against modern machinery with 200% stiffer body shells! The Corrado has easily found limits, but it does handle far better than it's Golf brother, that's for sure!

It would you know. Corrados really aren't all that in the handling stakes, especially not against modern machinery with 200% stiffer body shells! The Corrado has easily found limits, but it does handle far better than it's Golf brother, that's for sure!

Disagree. A standard C maybe, but one set up properly with half decent coilovers, decent tryes and a charger should poooooon a standard 150 GT TDI on a track. I have seen reviews saying "the corrado is one of the best handling front wheels drive cars made" and about how it out handles most of its rear wheel drive competitors. I think saying "they are not all that" is a bit steep regardless Mr. Bacon.

Especially since your repping a mk4! (handles like a drunk donkey on a polished floor with microfibre shoes)

...... I have seen reviews saying "the corrado is one of the best handling front wheels drive cars made" and about how it out handles most of its rear wheel drive competitors......)

But when were those reviews written - in 1989/90. I doubt whether the review says it will be one of the best handling cars for the next 15 years :)

Cheers

Jeff

Disagree. A standard C maybe, but one set up properly with half decent coilovers, decent tryes and a charger should poooooon a standard 150 GT TDI on a track. I have seen reviews saying "the corrado is one of the best handling front wheels drive cars made" and about how it out handles most of its rear wheel drive competitors. I think saying "they are not all that" is a bit steep regardless Mr. Bacon.

Especially since your repping a mk4! (handles like a drunk donkey on a polished floor with microfibre shoes)

Shoulds, ifs, buts, maybes.

Come back when you've got more experience and can put across a more balanced argument.

Agree with Kev :)

I've had 24 cars since 1996 when I past my test. Including M series BMWs and fully "balls to the wall" race prepped modified cars like my 340bhp octavia VRS that was built by Jabba and cost about £20K to build on top of the base car price. The corrado's bodyshell is just not up to modern cars.

The MK7 is an excellent car. The MK7 GT is supposed to be better than the MK6 GTI (for handling) and so the MK7 GTI must be imense although I've not driven one yet.

Dont get me wrong, it has no soul and doesnt make me grin like a Corrado.......but it is quick due to massive torque, handles great due to the new MK7 suspension and does it all with no fuss what so ever!

Edited by Hofmiester

Also you just have to look at the age. 20 years has passed and while the Corrado is a fine car, thinking about what it must have seemed like back in 1990 compared to a performance car from 1970 which was 20 years older back then.

The Corrado would have outgunned Porsches, Ferraris and all sorts from 1970....just like a modern hot hatch would be better than the Corrado now.

That's what most seem to forget. Yeah it had its hayday in the late 90s, and those above are very accurate. It WAS one of the best handling fwd cars at the time, but not any more. There is no way anyone could expect it to be on par with modern sport coupes or even hatches. As said, look at the mk1 GTI and its handling and performance were raved about the world over for a hatchback, yet its pretty poor in comparison to sporty hatches now. Times change, but the timeless look of the Corrado is what drove me to buy one as I think it really does turn heads with a few light mods. Handling and Power are still reasonable in comparison to today, but refinement is not. Its a niche car adored by small few so will never be a true classic, but those of a certain "vintage" appreciate WHAT a car it really is.

I don't mean to sound harsh about the Corrado, I am just realistic about it's limits. I had one for 9 years and loved it to death, they're brilliant cars! But unfortunately their 80s technology really does show now, and pretty average cars can not only out handle it, but out pace it as well. And it's just the whole crashiness over bumps thing, rust starting to set in, parts being made obsolete....it can eventually wear you down.

Same can be said of other hero cars. Cosworths, Clio Williams, RS Turbos, R5 GT Turbos, etc etc. They would all be murdered by a MK7 GT TDI 150 now :lol:

The world has moved on. Cars are faster, pace of life is faster and these 80s icons are pure enthusiasts cars who love them for what they are, not what they could be faster than :D

Dont get me wrong, it has no soul and doesnt make me grin like a Corrado.......but it is quick due to massive torque, handles great due to the new MK7 suspension and does it all with no fuss what so ever!

Exactly that. I don't look back at my microfiber footed MK4 when I park it up. I looked back at the Corrado EVERY day for 9 years. It was a passionate love affair and the attraction never wore off :D

I suppose the R32 is like an efficient German secretary who occasionally throws you into the stationary cupboard :D

It's about balance and feel too though isn't it? why an mx5 that's not particularly fast can be a hoot to drive.

I like driving an 'easy' modern car if I'm just driving from A to B, but getting back into a Corrado makes me feel like I'm involved in the driving, I can feel the road through my seat and the wheel and it's a fun thing to do.

One of the reasons I love 80's and 90's VW's (but not the mk4 golf and beyond) is that they had a good balance of power and handling, even driving a 1L polo was fun with 45bhp on 145 tyres.

But an MX5 isn't crashy and harsh on Britain's shyte roads though. A car can quickly lose it's appeal if you cringe at the state of the road ahead of you.