fla

OBD2 throttle to OBD1 manifold adapter

I will (hopefully) be swopping over to OBD2 over the winter (seem to remember saying that last year too!) I'd like to keep the OBD1 manifold though, so could anyone knock up an adapter for me plus an indication of price, or have a drawing they could send for me to get manufactured?

thanks

I'd be interested in this too as I have a OBD1 euro fanimold I'd like to use..... Forum member "Science" set up a thread where he'd had one made and did talk of replicating it but seemed to go quiet after that. Don't seem to hear as much from him on here anymore which is a shame as he was a London lad so could have been quite convenient. He may share a drawing with you if you PM'd him.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=78649

M.

fancy selling it to me, assuming you're not going to stick with the old ABV, that is? In fact if you do, I could look into getting some more made for others.

To be honest it looks like I'll be sticking with the good ol' 12v so I'll be sticking it on mine when it's up and running. But don't despair, if it proves worthwhile I'll most likely have some made up.

I never got around to test fitting the adaptor as I've been rather ill. It's next on the list though, hopefully within a couple of months.

For those still interested in this, I've got the 2.9 OBD1 manifold on but I've had to fabricate another throttle cable mounting bracket as it's not right for the rotation of the throttle body. Just need to bolt it on, re-assemble and test drive.

I'll update later with photo's as there are some things that aren't right with this conversion.

For those still interested in this, I've got the 2.9 OBD1 manifold on but I've had to fabricate another throttle cable mounting bracket as it's not right for the rotation of the throttle body. Just need to bolt it on, re-assemble and test drive.

I'll update later with photo's as there are some things that aren't right with this conversion.

Cheers Dave, that would be good, I'm attempting this next month. Are you using the obd1 or obd2 throttle cable mounting bracket?

sorry Neil - you did give me the drawing for the adapter. I've got one fab'd up just need to check fitment when i put all of my stuff together and i'll then get some made up for the forum.

sorry Neil - you did give me the drawing for the adapter. I've got one fab'd up just need to check fitment when i put all of my stuff together and i'll then get some made up for the forum.

Hey, no problem, these things take time.

Got around to fitting this set-up, been out for a test run and if I'm honest it didn't inspire me with confidence. Firstly it sound different which I suppose there was a chance of, there was also a strange ticking noise going on which didn't sound too healthy. It also didn't drive as well as before with the OBD2 manifold, seem to have lost some low down grunt and there wasn't any noticeable difference at the top end either. As far as I know I'd fitted everything correctly, blanked off any unused vac ports in the OBD1 manifold and made sure the adapter plate was fitted correctly with gaskets. I can't help thinking there was a reason VW changed the manifold when going to OBD2. Maybe there was something not quite right with my set-up and others who have attempted this have had more success.

I'm quite happy to continue to use the OBD2 manifold as I don't think there is a big enough improvement if any using the OBD1 manifold and there are some issues that need addressing before I feel really confident with the new set-up. Anyway I'll talk about those below the photos.

Overview of the set-up.

Adapterfitted_zps1dcf2534.jpg

There are 2 orientations of fitting the throttle body due to the differences in the throttle body mounting holes in both manifolds. You can see the this in the photos with the throttle body mounted both ways. In both cases the cable doesn't align with the guide on the side of the throttle body and rubs quite a lot when the pedal is pushed.

CableClockwise_zps1f6fd35b.jpg

Cableanti-clockwise_zps886de2b4.jpg

There are disadvantages in both orientations in that one way it's very close to the bonnet - see here.

ThrottleBodyclockwise1_zps6de00482.jpg

And the other way the throttle body is very close to the exhaust manifold heat shield and in my opinion too close, about 5mm away - can't see it too well in this photo.

ThrottleBodyanti-clockwise1_zpsd6bc1286.jpg

I had to cut and weld the throttle cable bracket and tilt it down to maintain correct cable alignment with the throttle body cable guide - see here.

ModifiedBracket1_zpsb63a67d2.jpg

ModifiedBracket2_zpsf12b6730.jpg

I ran the car with the throttle body orientated with the water pipes pointing upwards. I think the ideal set-up is to cut and weld the OBD2 throttle mounting to the OBD1 manifold, that way the orientation of the throttle body is not upset and no need for an adapter. For me I'll be sticking with the standard OBD2 manifold.

Cheers Dave, that's some good info. Did you make a twist adapter like the one in the link;

http://store.034motorsport.com/products/engine-components/vw-vr6/throttle-body-adapter-obd1-vr6-to-obd2-vr6-tb.html

[ATTACH]78499[/ATTACH]

I was trying to make an adaptor without the twist. Haven't got around to fitting yet should be a couple of weeks till I know.

Do you have any other engine mods, cams ect?

Edited by science

Yep I made one pretty much the same as that one.

I've got 263 cams, cone filter outside of the bay and a 2.5" exhaust.

Hello all. Am on the brink of doing my OBD2 conversion. Dont really want to lose my ABV inlet manifold. Did anybody manage to find/make an adaptor which didn't tilt the TB?

There seem to be three options:

1. The Schimmel solution: Intake Elbow - VR6 - Volkswagen (vr6parts.com)

2. The 034 solution: Throttle Body Adapter, OBD1 VR6 to OBD2 VR6 TB - 034-112-1002 - 034Motorsport - which involves tilting the throttle body.

3. Two versions of what look like welded adaptors. First is Nubworks: NubWorks-Nubworks Fabrication ShopIntake Manifold VR6 ABA ANubWorksVolkswagen. Second is from Performance MRP Volkswagen MK3 & MK4 VR6 12V Throttle Body Flange Adapter | Performance MRP

Anybody know anybody who would be able to cut and weld such an adaptor without costing lots?

Anybody tried and found a way to make this work? 

you could just use the AAA manifold - low end torque is improved somewhat with a small sacrifice at the top end.  That's how i ran mine until i fitted the schrick