Jim Bowen

VR6 Front wheel bearings Obsolete

Just been told that VW now say the front wheel bearings are obsolete.

Had car booked into a garage to do a front wheel bearing and they have had to order a SRN or SNR one instead.

Anyone else encountered this?

They are made by SKF im sure they would be available elsewhere

that's what I thought.... but when I changed mine they were SNR. I've had the car since day one and know they were the original.

that's what I thought.... but when I changed mine they were SNR. I've had the car since day one and know they were the original.

They tend to change brands throughout a product life cycle. What ever is cheapest and meets the minimum requirements is what ends up in the parts warehouses. I've seen 3 different brands of serpentine belt for the VR6 in 9 years of ownership. Gates, Continental and some Japanese make I can't remember. All OEM from the stealer.

Car manufacturers have several suppliers at anyone time, A, to keep prices down, B, to prevent supply issues (industrial disputes, catastrophic failures in production, distribution, etc) The next time you see a car transporter loaded with similar spec cars just notice how many have tyres from different manufacturers, apart from Citroen who only fit Michelin tyres because to two companies share R & D info

Manufacturers would also dictate the quality of components used in the items construction more often than not to a higher spec than the norm, where the same manufacturer would use a more generic component for their own branded products sold through aftermarket suppliers. Don't believe the hype from the likes of ECP where they state same item in a different box BS, its a similar item manufactured by the same OE supplier hence why you find aftermarket parts don't last like a OE components