P3rks

What car next?

So, I've been into VW's since I was 17 (now 30) and in all honesty it's time for a change, not just VW's but FWD too. I've had Corrado's for around 4 years now and although they are awesome, timeless and special cars that tick most of the boxes, it's time for a change.

My next car will be my daily in all intents and purposes meaning I might pop to the shops in it, do the 20 minute commute in rush hour or travel 300 miles to see family. But I do so little mileage now I might use my car realistically once a week, sometimes less, I just don't rely on my car anymore. So I can justify something naughty and something magical I can get in and just drive somewhere nice for the sake of driving - possibly even do the odd track day.

It needs to be something timeless and special, a modern classic or classic and has to be a drivers car. Something of an investment which ever way you want to decipher that. I'm not interested in practicality but semi-comfort and the odd mod con wouldn't go a miss. I don't want a balls out track car but likewise I'm not really interested in a fast saloon or estate; I will have my time with them when I get a family and for now I can and will have something silly and impractical. I have a 10K budget give or take a few thousand with a contingency for a bit more for the right (read unicorn) car, Ideally around 8-12k so I have a few thousand to play with for upkeep. The car can be an awesome standard car to keep standard or something which can be modified (nothing silly, think more OE+). I play with my cars and will continue to do so, whether that be modifying or restoring/maintenance.

Thoughts so far:

Porsche 944 Turbo

Porsche 968 Sport or CS

BMW Z3M Coupe

BMW 850i / Ci

BMW M635csi

Alpina 3.4s Roadster

Audi UR Quattro

Audi TT Quattro Sport 240

Elise S1 / S2 111s

Not really interested in any Evo, Impreza or Skyline, S4 / RS4, S2000 etc. You get the picture.

So, anything tasty I have missed from the list?

Edited by P3rks

I personally think the Elise is too compromised for daily usage - I'd only want one for a weekend car. I know people joke about me being an old man but I went for a spin in a friends Elise a few years back and I'd had enough after only 5 minutes on Coventry's ruined potholed roads.. it was excruciatingly hard.

I'd also say the UR Quattro is just too old for daily use, and despite it being a 'halo' product for Audi, suffers from the same problem as the Corrado - parts availability is terrible and Audi have zero interest in supporting enthusiasts.

Superb condition BMW E46 M3's would be available in your price range - sure they'd be hard to beat for daily enjoyment! Similarly some fast Audi's (e.g. higher mileage V8 RS4's) would be in your price range?

I personally think the Elise is too compromised for daily usage - I'd only want one for a weekend car. I know people joke about me being an old man but I went for a spin in a friends Elise a few years back and I'd had enough after only 5 minutes on Coventry's ruined potholed roads.. it was excruciatingly hard.

I'd also say the UR Quattro is just too old for daily use, and despite it being a 'halo' product for Audi, suffers from the same problem as the Corrado - parts availability is terrible and Audi have zero interest in supporting enthusiasts.

Superb condition BMW E46 M3's would be available in your price range - sure they'd be hard to beat for daily enjoyment! Similarly some fast Audi's (e.g. higher mileage V8 RS4's) would be in your price range?

That was my initial concern about the Elise, the ride and comfort. Sheffield roads are horrific and I mean embarrassing to the point I've thought about moving cities purely because of the roads. Plus 4 hours down the M1 in an Elise, would that be too unbearable?

The Audi Quattro is one of the all time greats, daily use and old cars don't scare me as it's not a true daily so I don't relay on it and I'd buy a good one or not at all, plus I'd make sure it was as reliable as the day it came out of the factory. Parts are an issue I suppose, but research and finding solutions is my thing - note taken though.

M3's I'm unsure about at the moment. My dad had a E46 from new so I know they tick most of my boxes, but they are at that age where they are too old to be desirable by most but too new to be sought after classics. They are cheap, depreciating fast and getting into unsavoury hands - For me it's the wrong time to buy one. E36 M3's however are just starting to come out of this awkward stage, all the bad ones are dropping like flies and prices and popularity are on the rise again. But in all honestly, I'm not so sure if they are right for me at the moment. RS4's and fast Audi's, other than the TT's don't appeal right now, too sensible and practical; there will come a time where I will need that and can only have that, not for now though, whilst I have the chance to go silly I will.

Of that list, only one stands out for me:-

Go on then... Why?

it would have to be the 8 series for me the styling is so unique and you never seen them anymore plus a comfortable cabin and a 5.0 to listen to all day what more could you wants and they can be had for reasonable money now ow and don't forget pop up lights !!

When I left Corrado's last time, I went 911 964 which I got for 14k and ran that for a few years and when running costs became ridiculous I straight swapped it for a nice S2 Elise 111S. The Porsche was great as a daily apart from the early 20s mpg. It was comfortable, fairly refined, quick and easy to drive.

The Lotus was amazing in most respects and I never found it hard at all. It was loud inside though and hardly insulated from wind noise! I toured around the country in it and careful packing would see 2 adults for a few days in it easily. My brother has a S1 and that is far too hardcore for daily duties! Mine at least had a carpet and radio!

If I had kept the Porsche it would have been worth close to 20k now though, which makes me sad! It's the only car I regret selling, although my wallet thanked me come fuel time!

When I left Corrado's last time, I went 911 964 which I got for 14k and ran that for a few years and when running costs became ridiculous I straight swapped it for a nice S2 Elise 111S. The Porsche was great as a daily apart from the early 20s mpg. It was comfortable, fairly refined, quick and easy to drive.

The Lotus was amazing in most respects and I never found it hard at all. It was loud inside though and hardly insulated from wind noise! I toured around the country in it and careful packing would see 2 adults for a few days in it easily. My brother has a S1 and that is far too hardcore for daily duties! Mine at least had a carpet and radio!

If I had kept the Porsche it would have been worth close to 20k now though, which makes me sad! It's the only car I regret selling, although my wallet thanked me come fuel time!

Ah - maybe my mates Elise was an S1 then, as I don't recall the seats being especially padded, nor do I remember any carpets. Would explain why it was like a prison cell in there!

...But I do so little mileage now I might use my car realistically once a week, sometimes less, I just don't rely on my car anymore. So I can justify something naughty and something magical I can get in and just drive somewhere nice for the sake of driving - possibly even do the odd track day.

It needs to be something timeless and special, a modern classic or classic and has to be a drivers car. Something of an investment which ever way you want to decipher that. I'm not interested in practicality but semi-comfort and the odd mod con wouldn't go a miss. I don't want a balls out track car but likewise I'm not really interested in a fast saloon or estate; I will have my time with them when I get a family and for now I can and will have something silly and impractical. I have a 10K budget give or take a few thousand with a contingency for a bit more for the right (read unicorn) car, Ideally around 8-12k so I have a few thousand to play with for upkeep. The car can be an awesome standard car to keep standard or something which can be modified (nothing silly, think more OE+). I play with my cars and will continue to do so, whether that be modifying or restoring/maintenance.

Thought about a TVR Cerbera? :norty: I don't think they will depreciate much more and would certainly be something special

I would love a 964 but they are 20k minimum now with prises steadily rising. So a Elise is gonna have to be an S2 and even then it's pushing it a bit. you just confirmed my concerns.

What about a Vauxhall VX220

Basically a comfortable Elise without 'Lotus' tax.

Rog.

Yeah, I've had a look, I know they are basically the same, but i'm a snob and it's still a Vauxhall. :smug:

Thought about a TVR Cerbera? :norty: I don't think they will depreciate much more and would certainly be something special

Yeah, I had a think about these and I'd kill myself. So I'm out. :bonk:

Something a bit more left field - how about a Ford Mustang? :)

Something a bit more left field - how about a Ford Mustang? :)

Don't fancy any left hookers :(

Some form of Merc 500sl? Or is that too conservative for you?

TBh i'd go for the BMW Z3 or Z4 Coupe

Thought about Mercs and also Masarati's - Just seem a bit mid life crisis / grandpa cruisers to me.

Always loved the Z4's since new, I really wanted one.

Go on then... Why?

Two reasons:

1) Re read your third paragraph in the OP. The Z3M fits that perfectly. It's semi practical (no back seats, but huge boot), not a balls out track car but would feel at home on one, it's in the price bracket, it's rare, it was built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts, BMW take an interest in their motorsport heritage (unlike VAG) and keep parts available for their older cars (unlike VAG), it's fast, it's reliable, it has a mod con or two and is comfortable.

2) The other cars on the list are either too mainstream and therefore nowhere near unicorn, have too much hype but won't live up to expectations, or are wallet crushers.

Two reasons:

1) Re read your third paragraph in the OP. The Z3M fits that perfectly. It's semi practical (no back seats, but huge boot), not a balls out track car but would feel at home on one, it's in the price bracket, it's rare, it was built by enthusiasts for enthusiasts, BMW take an interest in their motorsport heritage (unlike VAG) and keep parts available for their older cars (unlike VAG), it's fast, it's reliable, it has a mod con or two and is comfortable.

2) The other cars on the list are either too mainstream and therefore nowhere near unicorn, have too much hype but won't live up to expectations, or are wallet crushers.

That Sir, is a great argument.

Bit of a double edged sword for me this !

After a big break from anything Vag, I now find myself with a Mk5 Golf (daily) and a VR Raddo (3rd)

I did play with some RWD stuff and a few other unmentionables !!

And yet I never managed to shake off what the Corrado subliminally embedded ;) (that's a big word for a Salford lad)

Anyway hope that Unicorn canters up ?

But I know my raddo is staying for the foreseeable

Dave ;)

It always interests me to read comments like that. On the verge of a large bill with my Corrado and debating if it's the right way to go, or whether it's time to move on. But seem to read more comments from folks who regret it, or come back eventually. Be interested to hear how P3rks gets on over 12/24 months.

Ok, how about a Honda S2000, RWD 220 bhp out the box, loads of tuning options.

Or a DC5 Integra, Honda reliability, bit unusual, big spoiler.

Rog.

My thoughts:

Porsche 944 Turbo - I'd love one of these so would certainly consider it.

Porsche 968 Sport or CS -Too expensive to own and run for me.

BMW Z3M Coupe - Yes. Like this idea. hate the Z3 roadster but love the coupe.

BMW 850i / Ci - Interesting but doesn't float my boat for some reason.

BMW M635csi - Yes like this but prefer a smaller car.

Alpina 3.4s Roadster - Maybe. Doesn't float my boat again for some reason..

Audi UR Quattro - Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.... but quite old now so probably no.

Audi TT Quattro Sport 240 - Very much like this as a car to collect for the future.

Elise S1/S2 - A car I wish I'd bought in the past (I nearly did) but not practical as a long term only car.

Or how about...

e36 M3 or similar (as mentioned earlier) - bound to rise in value now.

TT mk1 V6

EDIT: Corrado's can be a bit of a millstone around your neck. Not because of them breaking down but because they seem very hard emotionally to part with. I'd love to try another car but I don't want to sell this and I can't sell the family car.

Edited by Portent