Roger Chatfield

New big ends fitted, can't turn engine over...

Ok, I've just replaced all my big end bearing shells, I've used oe items from VW, also used plenty of oil but I can't turn the engine over, I've got the plugs out and an using a 2ft breaker bar but can get it to move.

If I undo all the caps it turns over but once torqued up it's solid.

What have I done wrong??

Rog.

Did you compare thickness of the old and new bearing shells? Wondering if you've somehow ended up with oversized ones?

Are the right caps on the right rods?

Yes, I did them one at a time to make sure there wasn't a mix up.

Rog.

Edited by Roger Chatfield

I've changed all of them, they all look the same, are there different items for each rod??

Rog.

Aren't they numbered?

The cap and rod are bolted together before machining the hole round, so they're unique to each other

Cheers fella's, I've deffo got the right cap on the right rod however I may have the caps the wrong way round, I assumed the little locating tabs on the shells go opposite each other but on looking at one there are 'witness' marks on the cap that suggest they go on the same side.

I'm currently swapping them around, also I'm removing each shell and making sure there is no oil on the back side.

Rog.

The tangs not being aligned correctly was my first thought. From memory, there are also 2 thrust bearings that lock into one of the main bearing caps, did these get disturbed at all?

Update, all sorted, I've refitted the caps the right way round and it turns nice and free now.

Cheers for the help fella's, gotta love this forum.

Rog.

Filled with oil and turned over on the starter with plugs out and fuel relay out.

Made 3 bar oil pressure so I think things are looking up.

Just the inlet to fit (tomorrow after work) and I should be good to go.

Here's a question for you all, I've changed all the big ends but only 2, 4 and 6 were damaged, any reason why those would go first??

Rog.