tonedef

Rear wiper delete or not???

The C goes into the body shop on Tuesday for a full glass and interior out paint job. There are already a few bits need repairing, wings, A pillars, tailgate, fuel cap.....all the usual culprits in other words. I'm also having an American style centre brake light fitted, not everyone's taste but I'm hoping it will be possible to "sink it in" a little so it doesn't stand so proud.

Question is, do I or don't I delete the rear wiper? We have a MkII TT which doesn't have one so why does the Corrado need one......I'm just not sure that I won't regret having the hole welded up once it's gone!!!

What does everyone think about rear wipers, stay true to the original design and suffer an ugly rear appendage or clean it up and be damned?

Definitely. Mines deleted with a rubber bung and looks a thousand times better. You could opt for a bung if your unsure however if it's in the body shop it would make sense to do it properly

Definitely. Mines deleted with a rubber bung and looks a thousand times better. You could opt for a bung if your unsure however if it's in the body shop it would make sense to do it properly

Properly :thumbleft: Like mine

It's going isn't it, I just need the confidence to do it!

I didn't notice until I had the wiper, spoiler and everything removed that there is a raised area around the wiper.....so if it goes then it's for good as we'll be reshaping the area to match the rest of the tailgate, no rubber bungs, it stays or it goes, no turning back!!!

I had mine deleted last year in exactly the same circumstances as you (full windows out respray). I debated it for ages but I haven't regretted it - mine is a relatively fair weather car but the arse doesn't get hugely filthy anyway, don't think I used the rear wiper much when I ran the TDi as a daily either! Get it removed :-)

Drop it. Mine has been done along with badge and tow eye delete and the back end looks so much tidier.

Cover the rear screen in rain x or similar and you wont have a problem.

If you want your car to remain OEM then keep it. If it's not stating the bleedin' obvious in winter when you come back to the car and there's condensation all over its great to clear the rear window using the wiper. Rain-X related clearance will only happen once you're up and running

I think thats fairly unanimous..

Should you ever decide you want it back (i doubt it) then just buy another tailgate, they are dirt cheap, have it painted and away you go..

I think thats fairly unanimous..

Should you ever decide you want it back (i doubt it) then just buy another tailgate, they are dirt cheap, have it painted and away you go..

I like your thinking Michael, I can always get another tailgate can't I.

Looking forward to getting it back on the road now, lost the love for a while and it sat on stands in the garage for a few years......bit of a luxury being able to shut it away! Don't think it will ever be in the same league as yours but I'll keep chipping away at it, new paint starts Tuesday, seats and door cards are ready to go to MJ once I have an idea when the paint will be complete. Got a long shopping list developing for stuff from VW Heritage.

But for today it's time we got the bike out and headed of to Stanford Hall, seek some inspiration!

I'm voting keep it both for functionality and originality, or to put a bung in it if you really want it gone.

If / when you come to sell it will be a ballache to.put it back again if you have to source a new tailgate for painting. You wouldn't bother and would then sell it to people who may avoid the car with such modifications.

So I vote for a bung.

I'm voting keep it both for functionality and originality, or to put a bung in it if you really want it gone.

If / when you come to sell it will be a ballache to.put it back again if you have to source a new tailgate for painting. You wouldn't bother and would then sell it to people who may avoid the car with such modifications.

So I vote for a bung.

We bought this Corrado in September 2000 to replace the valver we'd had for five years, no plans to ever sell it, in fact our oldest daughter refers to it as her inheritance!

The bung is a good compromise.. I had one on my old Green one and it wasn't really noticeable and never offended me..

I don't know how well it would work for those with light cars...

This threads got me thinking, I don't think I've ever used the rear wiper...

Get rid the wiper just look's like an after thought [ATTACH]78489[/ATTACH]

I would keep it for originality & functionality..My view is if ts good enough for a 911 then its good enough for a Corrado!..but the general consensus seems to be remove. They obviously look tidier with it removed

Got to agree with the functionality especially if the car is a daily with our weather...

However if it's a car you are only using in the fair weather there really is no need for one..

Each to their own that's one of the good thing's about the Corrado so many different look's possible.

Looked at a few at Stanford Hall today, mainly with wipers still in evidence, a few with bungs and one with a full delete, welded up and smoothed..........that's the way I'm going.

My wife's daily driver is a Mk2 TT and that doesn't have a rear wiper, my own daily "driver" is a bike for most of the year and a Freelander when the roads are white so the Corrado is not going to get used in the rain all that often. Plenty of rainex and it'll be fine!

Bin it. The rake of the rear screen doesn't need a wiper as the rear vortex doesn't flick dirt onto the glass like it does on the slab ended Golf.

The tailgate lifts up a bit nicer without the extra weight too.

Wouldn't be hard to re-drill a hole for the wiper in the future with a decent quality step drill.

The tailgate lifts up a bit nicer without the extra weight too.

I've got the wiper and spoiler mechanisms plus lights, interior trim, plinth etc stripped from the tailgate at the moment.........it almost takes your nose off when you push the button!