redhotpq

is citreon saxo 1.5 diesel a good car? and where to go for insurance.

(I posted in insurance thread but wasnt sure if it belonged there so I posted here aswell)

I am going to be doing long journeys soon and need economical car, my mate has suggested a diesel saxo ,so this is what i'm looking at. first of all are they a good car?

and any ideas on where to go for insurance?

thanks

Id stick with comparison sites for every day cars mate. Bound to be your best bet.... as for is it a good car? Pass

Hello there,

the Citroen Saxo is basically the same as the Peugeot 106 as both these companies share the same parts like VW and Audi do.

The petrol engines they use the TU engine and a similar one for the 1.5 diesel,

the diesel engine can suffer with oil leaks, head gasket, piston liner seals can fail,

and the gearbox can be a problem on high mileage cars.

Production was from 1996 to around 2004

Fuel economy is around 65 to 80 MPG for the diesel.

Things to look out for are:

Stiff heavy clutch pedal = as the clutch is known to wear and can snap clutch cable if left.

Handbrake cables bulge and bend out of shape = causing rear brakes to stick on slightly.

Front outer CV boots are known to split open = if left will wear outer CV joints.

Front suspension lower arm bushes are well know for wearing out = first signs of this is wear on the inner tyre tread.

Radiators can leak on high mileage cars = normally leak down the bottom of the radiator core on left or right side.

Cam belts can snap = should be changed every 56,000 miles, book says 72,000 miles but like I say the belts can snap,

also should replace tensioner and idler.

Water pumps can leak = normally start leaking at around 72,000 miles.

Can suffer with very bad oil leaks = normally valve cover gasket needs replacing or has been done,

but they haven't replaced the retaining bolt bush seals. Rear main oil seals can leak as well. And vacuum pump seals leak as well.

Can suffer with fuel leaks = from fuel filter housing and from old warn injector bleed off hoses,

which can give you bad starting issues.

Front brake discs are easily warped = normally only last for 30,000 to 40,000 miles max.

Ignition barrels wear out easily = ignition key will feel really notchy when switching ignition on / off mainly on high mileage cars.

Door check straps are well known for breaking = normally you'll feel / hear a load clonking noise when opening / closing doors.

Gearbox / selector can fail = mainly on high mileage cars.

Can suffer with bad cold starting = glow plug relays burn out or cheap glow plugs fitted, should only use Bosch or Beru plugs.

Heater hoses can leak = mainly due to the bleed caps being snapped off and just being left.

All in all not a bad cheap car really, but they do and can have there problems as stated above.

Regarding the insurance do as what VAG-hag has said and go on (compare the market.com)

Hope this helps

Si

I'd probably go for something like a petrol 1.6 focus, far better built car, nicer to drive, most have air-con and unlikely to have need of expensive repairs like an old diesel, they'll do well over 40mpg and unless you are doing over 15k miles a year the maths don't add up for a diesel.

An old saxo, I'd rather spend my time sat in a skip TBH.

My old skip does mid 40 to the gallon, hasn't needed any work in 28000 miles and cost 1200 quid.. Nice to have a car where you aren't worried about it at all and when its no longer economical ill scrap it..