jonnyattwood

Obd port help!!

I'm in desperate need of finding the reason why my abs light is on for the MOT, problem is as you may know I have an r32 converted Corrado and it just keeps flashing up no connection on the scanner! We have tried searching through specific ABV engine code (before conversion) and then BUB R32 engine code (what's in now)and also just a general scan but to no avail!

Also the port is turning the scanner on so I would have thought it was plugged in and it's getting some sort of signal but obviously not reading anything from the R32 ecu 😢

Obviously I need this fault sorting for the MOT but I'm really struggling now :( I hope someone could shed some light on this 😃

Thank you in advance

Jonny

What sort of scan are you doing, with my VAGCOM I can select separate modules, I'm sure the abs has its own ecu so you should be able to just scan that.

Rog.

I'd try another laptop / diagnostic first as it maybe a driver / port latency issue... did it ever work / has the ECU been mapped?

Its a snap on on like a couple grands worth :/ solius?? Something like that and it's worked on other cars just not mine :( and yeah it's supposedly been mapped :/

Its an R32 conversion? using exsisting abs ecu?

Bit weird that, the r32 conversion has nothing to do with the abs, it's completely separate in terms of wiring. Just to check the wiring, there is a brown 2 pin plug underneath the dash with a grey/white wire and a yellow wire, the grey is your k-line (diagnostic) is anything connected?

I'll check the wiring later tonight on my laptop

The bub is from the mk5 isn't it, and don't they use CAN for diags where as the old corrado abs will use K=line

They do use canbus but from what I have heard they still send out the non canbus signal. But that is besides the point, the complete corrado abs system is unchanged by the swap, no wiring is touched

I understand what your saying swiftkid and agree.

Can you connect to the abs by obd?

how is the car been wired, are the 2 ecus joined by k line? has a second port been fitted for the engine only, and that is the one you are using?

Silly question but was the car OBD2 before the conversion?

I imagine a lot of conversions don't get wired properly

My 24v is wired up to the diagnostic block behind the dash and I actually still use the old obd1 plugs to connect to.

Look behind the dash, on top of the centre tunnel (from the left hand footwell with lower trim removed) and you will see the block with the diagnostic feeds. The plugs are junior timer type 2 pin plugs. 1 colour is grey and that's the actual diagnostic line and the other cable is yellow with a coloured (can't remember exactly which) tracer and that provides the power for the diagnostics line.

The abs needs both wires fitted but should be fitted to the terminal block as it should remain untouched during a normal conversion. All you need to do is run the diagnostic feed from the 24v ecu to the same bank of pins that the grey line connect to and you should have no problems.

Edited by Sean_Jaymo

If its still using the original Corrado ABS then won't the R32 ABS needs to be coded out of the cluster if the clocks are being used?

I understand what your saying swiftkid and agree.

Can you connect to the abs by obd?

how is the car been wired, are the 2 ecus joined by k line? has a second port been fitted for the engine only, and that is the one you are using?

Silly question but was the car OBD2 before the conversion?

I imagine a lot of conversions don't get wired properly

I'm not to sure mate as I didn't do the conversion and I'm trying to put it all right or at least get it through MOT and take it to someone to fettle the rest. And cheers for the help guys, if I'm honest this has all gone straight over my head but I'll get someone who knows a lot more than me to look at this and then look at the car, I know the rev limiter isn't working because of something to do with a canbus convertor? Also in the tray under the globe box there was an additional what looked like female port, but wasn't connected to anything. Could that be involved??

This is the car, I'm sure its an ex forum members car, converted by PSI?

53F50159-FD82-487B-8EE5-6C8E875F7DFB.jpg

The port underneath the gearstick gator is your diagnostic plug... the original one! Perhaps give that a go?

Do you mean rev counter (tacho) isn't working? If so it is canbus but apparently the ECU does send a signal out. You can either get a canbus converter or stick an extra wire in the ECU, which is what I've done but I have heard it can cause the needle to be a little bouncy.

It does sound like the install is a bit of a bodge, which I have heard some horror stories doen by PSI, one of the original conversions perhaps?

You will probably find the K line isn't connected! The ECU will send a signal via k line and can bus for diagnostics. Regarding rev limiter and not reaching it, the clutch pedal switch will more than likely not be fitted and theses need the or it will hold back. The ECU won't be seeing a speed signal as they probably didn't connect that either! I rewired my mates 24v done by them and the wiring was shocking! The loom was melted and about went on fire!! If your is like his there will be no fuses fitted for the engine harness and half the stuff needed left disconnected. Bare minimum done to get it in and running!

Edited by doodles
spelling

Yeah I've tyres the original diagnostic plug that's the one that's causing me a ball ache because it seems to be getting nothing :( and to be honest I don't think it was a psi install I think it was a kind of home brew :( so the guy reckons anyway!

If it was done by psi, I've had nothing but struggles and would seriously not trust anyone, that do my car, to touch another car again!!

When doing the install there is no need to touch the diag port in the car. It unplugs from the small block connectors at the fuse box. They may have unplugged it!

EF738702-1CD3-4897-A43F-659C6F74B5A0.jpg

75E73540-C08E-4611-B521-3BF199EADD64.jpg

This is what I have found looking at it today, but I don't know how it should look?? So could you tell me if this is right please and if it's not tell me what's wrong :)

Thanks jonny