Jim Bowen

What clutch for VR6?

Had a new vw one fitted at about 160,000miles. Starting having problems at 220,000miles.

Had a rattle type noise that came and went at low speeds around town etc. I had noticed a slight knocking noise when cold started and left idling. Noise would go if I pressed clutch down. Also was getting notchy to go into gear and would have to push pedal down quite hard.

So swapped clutch,bearing, and put a different gearbox on. All were used. Clutch was luk branded.

Was ok for a while. Although juddered when pulling away. But now the rattle noise is back along with all the other symptoms. So thinking it wasn't gearbox.

About to get a new clutch and going to get new slave cylinder as well. That's done the full 220,000miles now.

Just looking on ebay and is lots of clutches and think the vw one was over £200. Are vw itmes a sachs clutch? Also notice a lot of uprated ones on there. Also black diamond clutches. Have heard that name before but can't remember if it was good or bad.

I do seem to mistreat my clutch and wondered if something more heavy duty is worth while.

Lots advertised as vr6 with g60 flywheel or gti turbo bits? Are they all vr6 compatible?

I had an issue with both of the 1st two clutches stealth fitted after my head rebuild - they were both valeo boxed products but it was determined not all the parts contained were valeo manufactured parts

the release bearings in the first 2 clutches fitted both chirped like crazy & were audible even with windows closed. the 2st clutch did produce a slight judder but it was only minimal.

vince tested both my master & slave clutch cylinders, which were ok, & also made something custom so he could adjust the clutch pedal travel & reduced it by about 10mm

the pedal travel fix was attempted as it was found that the chirping stopped once the pedal had been depressed by 10-15mm - this reduced the issue somewhat but only for a week or so after which it came back.

long story short vince ended up getting a valeo rep in & it resulted in an apology from the rep as the release bearing was not valeo but one of their subsidiaries

the rep organised a 'revised' valeo release bearing & once that was fitted i havent had any issues :)

I too had thought about uprating the clutch or looking at another brand but when i discussed it with vince he assured me that from all his experience of fitting many many clutches to VR's valeo had proven to be the best for standard-ish n/a VR's

I've got a luk item from GSF. Works well but the release bearing is quite rattley. I would take it apart, complain and go from there but removing a gearbox is quite a pain! Unless it gets worse or fails, ill be just putting up with it.

Agree with Goldfinger. Vince also told me recently that the Valeos seem best at the moment.

I went through 3 clutches back in the day, trying to sort juddering problems. Tried a GSF supplied Sachs, then a GSF supplied LUK and finally a dealer one. During the many months that this went on, Vince again noticed manufacturing defects in the pattern parts. Needless to say the dealer one was the best of the 3, but they ALL juddered after a month or so. A few years ago there was a batch of release bearings that had no grease in them at all!

I don't know what it is with VWs. As soon as you replace the original clutch, it bloody judders or makes a noise!

Mine was replaced by whichever I got from TPS, I'm guessing genuine part, also got the clutch fork replaced at the time(as it had snapped,reason for change) and it has been perfect ever since. No idea if the fork would/could have any effect but worth a mention?

I might ask Vince to supply me one, or i'll go to the dealer again. The dealer supplied one was really good for ages, felt great when i 1st got it.

I'm hoping it was/is release bearing related. Not sure what to do with gearbox. Not too easy to change, seen reconned ones on ebay for £495

The original one out of mine was a OE VW SACHS one, stamped with VW part number and SACHS as the manufacturer. Never gave me any issues and it wasn't even bloody worn when I took it out! That was at 79k miles.

The new one I've put in as I'd already bought the complete KIT when doing the chains was a SACHS one. No issues at all with it.

Agree with Goldfinger. Vince also told me recently that the Valeos seem best at the moment.

I went through 3 clutches back in the day, trying to sort juddering problems. Tried a GSF supplied Sachs, then a GSF supplied LUK and finally a dealer one. During the many months that this went on, Vince again noticed manufacturing defects in the pattern parts. Needless to say the dealer one was the best of the 3, but they ALL juddered after a month or so. A few years ago there was a batch of release bearings that had no grease in them at all!

I don't know what it is with VWs. As soon as you replace the original clutch, it bloody judders or makes a noise!

Thanks Kev.

I am happy to report that after approx 4 months & 3000 ish miles the final 'revised' release bearing vince fitted is still giving zero issues

i have no juddering & more importantly no annoying bl00dy chirping :D

Jim - vince has a wealth of knowledge & vast experience of VR clutches not being right over the many years & im sure he wouldnt mind you chatting to him about it

My clutch debacle was about 7 or 8 years ago but it seems things have improved recently then, cool!

I forgot to mention I replaced the flywheel as well to get absolutely perfect mating surfaces, but that was only £70 exchange from VW.

The juddering was never horrendous by the way. Just at low rpms pulling away which made traffic a real chore.

I didn't change my clutch when I removed the engine, as it had been changed 4 years and 20k previously, and it looked in very good order. I did replace the release bearing though with a gsf LUK one and it's been Fine. No clunking or whining at all........... Although the wife more than makes up for it! :lol:

I noticed easypops mention of the broken clutch fork, I had the same issue last year and was assuming shift cables or syncros until it let go at work leaving me to have to remember how to drive a car with no clutch.

There's a place 'volkswagenspares.com' that quoted me approx. £500 inc for a rebuild service for the gearbox. I know stealth racing is well regarded, but they quoted me on a syncro by syncro basis, and seemed a little vague as to what bearings they would replace. At the end of it, for a rebuild of the box i was looking at £750 odd.

With regard to clutch judder, I have some too, but also lash when the clutch is up, most noticeably at low speeds in traffic, despite a vibratechnics on the front and two new standards on the sides. What I wonder is, perhaps lash in the drivetrain magnifies how bad the actual friction plate to flywheel judder is?

I have had no issues with my Sachs kit, and they only cost £60 roughly on car parts 4 less. I don't think you need uprated ones till a VR is charged in some way.