Sign in to follow this  
greegs

22B subaru

:D On my way home earlier from work and this bright blue thing appears out of knowhere in my rearview mirror, as it got closer I recognised that it was a subaru impreza turbo but as it got even more closer realised it was a 22B (pink subaru badge and wide arches kind of gave it away) . So for a laugh I put my foot down on the next straight piece of road. F**k me how fast are 22B's ! I was upto about 110 mph and this guy was barely 3 feet off my back bumper and was obviously having to back off all the time cos all I could hear was his loud as f**k dump valve !

What sort of power do these things put out ?

This is one of the cars that I would actually shop the C for.

Think they are awesome, albeit they are still a common-as-muck Subaru ;)

You can never tell what those things have had done to them!

If it's got a 2.5 Legacy block with bi-turbo heads you'll stand no chance in hell in your VR, supercharged or not!

I never bother racing Subarus, they're just in a different league point-to-point. You might be able to keep up with a normal WRX on the motorway but point-to-point, with equal drivers, the Jap machine will win.

K

Ive been very luck to drive a P1 on numerous occasions, words cannot describe how quick they are and how right they feel!, it feels absolutley awesome, you get punched back into your seat in every gear! The handling is sublime aswell. I think its the best looking impreza too, but only with the grey oz wheels instead of the pimpin' gold ones 8)

Would defo chop any C in for a P1, Maybe not a nice campaign though :wink:

If you think the P1 is fast, the 22B is even more insane. Both in appearance and power. I think they only made 500 of them, all in blue with 2 doors and an insane spec. Rather nice though :)

But they still look like an advert for a bodykit company, rather than a CAR!

I just don't like Jap sports cars cos of the OTT styling (all very functional I'm SURE)...

My 2p.. :)

yeah the 22B is a bit too mad looking for me, I prefer stealth.

In fairness it's proably one of the few cars where it is functional rather than just bling :)

The guy who lives across the road from me had one 2-3 years ago. Subaru said it had 300bhp but in reality it was nearer 350bhp.

He swapped it for a TVR less than a year later, as the ride was really too harsh for UK roads, and it was a complete handfull in the wet. Looked fantastic though - really low & wide, unlike the "tractor boy" suspensions that most Subarus have.

John

If you ever go on Scoobynet BBS then you may not be so in awe of them - I realise that the VR6 does have some 'reliability' issues, but there isnt too many people who can say that they have blown their VR motor up! There are issues with several of the scooby models engines, 22B and P1's to name but two

Inevitable with extremely highly tuned turbo engines, I suspect. Ask the 1.8T boys how long those engines can sustain 300+ bhp and it'll be a similar story we suspect.

I do know, however, that they've had trouble with MAFs which has resulted in under-fuelling and consequential engine blow-ups from time to time... !!

22B uses the normal Impreza turbo engine, but it's bored out to 2.2 (hence the 22 bit) I read, that in japan all the motor companies have a gentlemans agreement with the government that max power of a car is no more than 280bhp. But these things are said to be more near 320 :shock:

Awesome pieces of kit!

And you can't beat the sound of that flat 4!

the 22b uses a closed deck 2.2 l block which is from a legacy. the legacy was a non intercooled turbo model. the block is made from better alloy and so is less prone to breaking.

the heads are EJ20.

it uses a slightly smaller turbo than a STi. tyhink its 1 VF size down. power isn't massive at 280hp but itss still see off any corrado unless seriously tuned as will most imprezas . after all a pipe and a fiter take a UK to 250-260hp.

they dont make 320 hp from the factory. problem with thge 22b is the suspension setup is a tad hard for the penine runs. its bounces aropund all over the place.

the closed deck is the key to the power potential as the standard engines suffer from crank and cylinder ovaling issues when pushed very hard. gearbox is by far the weakest part of the scooby setup though

I stand corrected.

Gazza, sounds like you've done your homework on scoobys.

You're right bout the smaller turbo, my mate has a WRX and the lag on that is scary! Those 22b's spool up well quick!

Someone once told me that the normal impreza engine is a nightmare after 60k miles due to the crank, like you said, being the weak point.

my mates own Jap-innovations in oldham.

the sad thing about them, STi included is that the are prone to det and being mapped for jap fuel anything over 5k produces det unless octane boosted.

the number of Sti and WRX (classic shape) ive seen habing the engine replaced is shocking. the way they are driven doesnt help. nothing is forged in there, no piston squirters nothing.

And the air goes over the top of the scoop at 120+! Oil changes are a pain too. You have prefill the oil filter, disconnect the crank sensor, turn it over to build up pressure and then reconnect the crank sensor. Failure to do this could lead to a bent rod.

And then of course the turbo sits above cylinder 3 and causes over-heating issues in that cylinder, kind of like the famous "1 and 6" bore wear on the beloved VR.

I too have seen numerous 2.0 blocks with holes in them and pistons resmembling molten scrap metal. Mostly caused by kids fitting bleed valves and other assorted crap methods of boosting power. They also love forge motorsport dump valves which I've seen cause a 17bhp *drop* in power on a WRX. Subaru use recirc valves for a reason.

If you build the engine to take the boost, preferably with a US spec 2.5 block, then you're onto a winner with good power and longevity.

They are just as troublesome as VR6s, if not more so and a *lot* more fragile.

K

The P1 and 22B arfe both the same motors and speed (p1 maybe faster slightly) the 22b has a wide arch kit as opposed to the P1 which looks like a standard 2 door

Did anyone read the article on tuned Impreza's in last month's EVO? The Roger Clark Motorsport car was running 437bhp reliably!

Downside = £15k price tag :(

From that site, "Apparently, even the Porsche 911 Turbo (993 model) can't catch the 22B!! " PMSL..... absolute bollards. The 993 Turbo will P all over it.

K

The 22B and the P1 are not technically the same motor. The 22B had a bespoke body which was seem welded for rigidity, not just a "body kit". That, and the 2.2l engine made it the most extreme Scooby ever, and only 14 of them were officially brought to the UK (1 at least of which was written off). The P1 was IM's (Subaru UK) answer to all the people importing STi6's from Japan because the UK spec cars weren't anywhere near as good, and is an STi6 tuned and enhanced by Prodrive. Although some of the Prodrive mods make it a little better than a 6, it ain't no 22B. The only car near either of these now is the independantly imported and tuned Type 25 from Litchfield Imports. 350bhp, 350ft/lb, 0-62 4.2, 2.5l with bespoke suspension by Powerstation for £34k :shock: Expensive, but awsome.