Miggs

Smooth engine bays

Would like to see some pics of smooth engine bays so if yours is smooth post away:thumbleft:

It certainly isn't something I've seen much on the forum, I have to say.

You might be better asking the edition 38 forums as it seems much more poplirar there , no offence at all but its pretty daft putting all uour wiring in your chassis legs , when something ****s up i bet its a mare to fix

I know such things aren't popular on here but, I've always quite enjoyed the aesthetics of a nicely executed smoothed bay.....

WOW, some great answers to a perfectly reasonable question, especially yours OSV......

Depends on how far you mean to go, don't see many with new plates made to fully smooth the chassis rails but have seen a few where the holes have been welded up and the water pots/battery removed and wiring tied up, Gareths (rado90 - H747 OVG) now has a cleaned/smoothed bay, but only seen that in the flesh and cant find any pics yet.

Heres the start of mine

IMG_0650_zpse86a730c.jpg

battery moved to boot as will the washer bottle, coolant bottle will be on drivers side.

All wiring will be hidden and done properly with good quality crimp joints (not soldered) and using m-spec cable built with a concentric twist for flexibility and covered in Raychem DR25 with all connectors booted, so should look good where you can see it.

Not at all pointless and its your car, if you like it, do it, then let the haters hate it

WOW, some great answers to a perfectly reasonable question, especially yours OSV......

Depends on how far you mean to go, don't see many with new plates made to fully smooth the chassis rails but have seen a few where the holes have been welded up and the water pots/battery removed and wiring tied up, Gareths (rado90 - H747 OVG) now has a cleaned/smoothed bay, but only seen that in the flesh and cant find any pics yet.

Heres the start of mine

IMG_0650_zpse86a730c.jpg

battery moved to boot as will the washer bottle, coolant bottle will be on drivers side.

All wiring will be hidden and done properly with good quality crimp joints (not soldered) and using m-spec cable built with a concentric twist for flexibility and covered in Raychem DR25 with all connectors booted, so should look good where you can see it.

Not at all pointless and its your car, if you like it, do it, then let the haters hate it

Have to agree with you there are plenty on here who tend to think their way is the way to do it end of story. Sorry no if that's what you want to do do it it's your car matey. There are I'm sure some on here who hate mine because it's got an R32 engine in it but then I don't really care I'm not trying to win people with my car it's only a car at the end of the day. Your's is looking well mate keep up the good work.

I know this is a mk2 but still a great example of a well executed cleaned bay...

SAM_0356_zps4b41284d.jpg

SAM_0355_zps195d238f.jpg

I'm actually quite impressed by some of the examples posted here. I quite like how it looks and I imagine it's very rewarding once complete as it's pretty hands on job. I'll just keep mine clean for now ;) it looks less scary when most of its hidden though!

Pointless. Next

Why bother posting if it isn't something that interests you?

Agree 100% with Mark, Rado20VT and Clumpy - I think a well executed smooth bay can be a real work of art. If I had the cash mine would be as smooth as a baby's bum

i think it looks awesome, you've got to admire the time and effort gone into it even if its not to your liking

where is everything hidden? wings?,behind dash?

Would like to see some pics of smooth engine bays so if yours is smooth post away:thumbleft:

Pointless. Next

Best left to the mk3 show ponies in my opinion. One easy way to devalue an older car.

Was the question 'what is your opinion of smoothed bays?' No. Your opinions are irrelevant.

Keep em coming guys!

If my opinion puts someone off attempting to smooth a corrado bay then its very relevant. Fair enough done properly it can be nice touch, but most are full of filler.

Why? I know of a lot of people that would answer no to owning a corrado yet here we are... A bunch of corrado owners. Smooth bays are an art, you can either make a hash of it, overdo it or do it just right.

I see some bays where it's smoothed so much that they are having engine issues whilst other bays are tidied and look fantastic whilst still functioning 100%, that is my future aim!

most of it is relocated to the boot, couldn't warrant it myself, but looks great at car shows meets. always keeps my hood down if someone close is showing off a smoothed bay!! :bonk:

if my engine went kaput and it needed changing or rebuilding then I would definitely look at smoothing whilst I was there, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do it

As usual the thread is going the wrong way even with some sensible people trying to get it back on track. The initial request was for "PICS" of smooth engine bays not what your personal opinion of them was, if you really want to post about this start a thread maybe called "what does everybody think regarding smooth engine bay's" Yes it is that easy. This is not aimed at anyone in particular so keep the toy's in the pram please.

Why bother posting if it isn't something that interests you?

Agree 100% with Mark, Rado20VT and Clumpy - I think a well executed smooth bay can be a real work of art. If I had the cash mine would be as smooth as a baby's bum

It does interest me, the cost of smoothing properly together with associated work is equal to or greater than the value of the vast majority of Corrados , the vast majority could use the money well spent elsewhere rather than custom smoothing the bay.

Think it's pointless and money straight down the drain. Belongs in "Max Power Magazine" and done by youths (or adults who are still youths) who wear those trousers which are falling down.

Sorry clumpy1, but I couldn't help myself :D