Jim Bowen

Springy type hose clamps?

If anyone is considering those remote ones, I bought one, first time using it out of the packet to remove the rad hose and it snapped. The remote has a tab that just snapped off so I'll be investing in one of those different type, spent years using molegrips though, unfortunately they do make the clips look a bit second hand!

TBH I've not encountered any spring clamps on a VR6 / R32 engine that couldn't be accessed with a normal plier tool. The heat exchanger ones are awkward to get at with mole grips etc, but the proper pliers make them a doddle.

I've had a few very awkward experiences of have to use a flathead screwdriver to spin them round to gain access with molegrips but never had a big problem removing them. I've come to 'that' age where tools that make life easier make working on cars much more fun.

Nothing wrong with WAGs handling one's tool :)

Jubilees are just crap and shouldn't be used anywhere on the engine, imo. The spring clamps are fit and forget and keep a constant tension on the joint, which is exactly what you want.

Cheap jubilees rust and you can't get them off again. Better jubilees are still rubbish because people either over tighten them and cut the hose, or too loose and hoses come off. Remember the cooling system operates at around 15-18psi pressure. Not only that, the tension on a jubilee clamped joint relaxes because there's no spring tension to compensate, so you have to periodically check them.

They're junk, don't use them guys :)

I did buy my jubilees from a boat/marine place so good stainless steels.

But must admit, i've had them either pop off or cut the hoses.

i brought the specific clip set sold by roose motorsport for their hose kit, which wasnt cheap & 'meant' to be fit for purpose

all seems ok so far but i kinda wish i had asked stealth to re-use the VW tension clips :(

One of the spring clip removal pliers mentioned above really makes taking the clamps on or off easy - I have one and it was a worthwhile investment.

I ordered this one yesterday - http://www.amazon.co.uk/TRIDENT-ROUND-CLAMP-PLIER-T371201/dp/B00J5MA4M8/ref=sr_1_89?ie=UTF8&qid=1408526576&sr=8-89&keywords=hose+clamp+plier

It's the one I've seen Stealth use and it's excellent. I wanted something middle of the road as some of the other ones on there seem too cheap. I like the ratcheting ones too, which leave the clamp open whilst you faff around pulling the hose off with both hands. Neat.

Good find Kev, just ordered one after trashing my fingers and thumbs using my 'water pump pliers' method ... Lol

Rog.

20140822_172845.jpg

Got the clips from hcl today. Am sure I haven't got the order quite right. Think I should of got more of larger ones.

Quality seems good. Not got the tool yet though. I will work out the best combination of sizes.

Will no doubt need to order some more.

Got the remote action hose clip pliers yesterday. Wouldn't recommend them.

A) They don't open wide enough to fit the larger clips (so rad hoses, thermostat hoses etc, They only really fit the ones about 1 inch diameter

B) Not much strength to them, can't generate enough force to open the thicker clips.

Going to buy the other ones now :lol:

Got the remote action hose clip pliers yesterday. Wouldn't recommend them.

A) They don't open wide enough to fit the larger clips (so rad hoses, thermostat hoses etc, They only really fit the ones about 1 inch diameter

B) Not much strength to them, can't generate enough force to open the thicker clips.

Going to buy the other ones now :lol:

good feedback even if a disappointment, thank jim

its not great loss i can use the other one to pick up small beetles or sugar cubes from a distance

Are they suitable for ants? The wee bu**ers are back again.

No, i think you would struggle with ants due to the size of them. I would try to lure them onto a sugar cube and then remotely pick that up.

No, i think you would struggle with ants due to the size of them. I would try to lure them onto a sugar cube and then remotely pick that up.

ahhh i do love the way 'we' veer of subject on this forum, it very often brings a smile & laughter to my day :)

Ah well, I'll stick to drinking red wine while squirting them with bleach. May try the sugar cube route as a method of localising them.