Jim Bowen

Springy type hose clamps?

I want to get rid of my jubilee clips and go back to the springy type clamps (for water hoses etc)

Is there anywhere to buy them online? And does anyone know how many and what sizes are needed. I spent quite a bit on stainless jubilees but have had problems with leaks and damaged hoses.

If you do a search on e-bay for 'spring band hose clamps' you will find loads of them up to 20mm but not a lot above that size.

Check out the link below for a full range of sizes available in whatever quantity you want. Not too pretty but they are available in different colours and the standard ones aren't a work of art either.

I can't really help with numbers or sizes. There seems to be a fair bit of leeway in these clamps so it could just be a case of counting and measuring .......... your stainless jubilee clips will have the size stamped on them.

http://www.hcl-clamping.co.uk/Rotor-Spring-Band-Hose-Clamp-Constant-Tension-P9

Edited by leon263

If you do a search on e-bay for 'spring band hose clamps' you will find loads of them up to 20mm but not a lot above that size.

Check out the link below for a full range of sizes available in whatever quantity you want. Not too pretty but they are available in different colours and the standard ones aren't a work of art either.

I can't really help with numbers or sizes. There seems to be a fair bit of leeway in these clamps so it could just be a case of counting and measuring .......... your stainless jubilee clips will have the size stamped on them.

http://www.hcl-clamping.co.uk/Rotor-Spring-Band-Hose-Clamp-Constant-Tension-P9

That'll do me, thanks, don't really fancy going to the dealer anymore.

Is there a tool to make getting them on and off a bit easier. I used mole grips in the past

There is a tool for removing the spring clamps but I am not sure where you can buy one though. In the past I have used a friends one who works for a dealership.

They're a bitch to get in and onto the clips in the tight spaces though! The tool isn't cheap either that's the problem.

The top one is the one I've seen most VW techs use and it works a treat. http://www.hcl-clamping.co.uk/Spring-Clamp-Tool-Pack-P41

You want a tool with ends that turn, so that the clamp doesn't fly off in your face when you're moving the tool around on the hose. That is what happens when you use mole grips, especially on later cars that use 80+mm ones for MAF hoses etc.

For some reason web links aren't working on my phone so I can't see what the other guys are recommending but probably similar to my teng one, I had a cheap version years ago but it fell to bits, this one has been abused for 7+ years and still works!

04BA6E07-0E02-4DB9-8D4A-253BDDA6F6D0.jpg

You can also get a remote one on a wire that's handy for hard to reach places but the one I've seen was limited to small-medium size clips.

Thanks for replies, ordered loads of clips from that HCL Clamping website and ordered the tool on the extension lead type affair from eurocarparts (40% off at the moment)

Saw that whilst in there the other day returning my Q-Drive PAS pump (no quibble, and £100 back in the bank.. bonus) - very appealing little gadget though some reviews say the cable snaps quite easily.. be interested to hear how you get on with it.

Am still weighing up whether to buy a PAS pump from VW. Does the steering feel any different with a new pump? I know yours was noisy and that was the main reason for changing.

Let us know which size clamps go where and how many are required for a full set Jim, and how you get on with the tool. It's something I'm sure a lot of us have thought about to freshen things up!

Am still weighing up whether to buy a PAS pump from VW. Does the steering feel any different with a new pump? I know yours was noisy and that was the main reason for changing.

I got another second hand one (thanks VAG-hag!) which did the job - couldn't face the cost of a brand new VAG one at the time. Avoid the Q-Drive ones - utter ****e. Brand new in the box and groaning like a 30 year old PAS pump and heavy steering.. utter crap!

Let us know which size clamps go where and how many are required for a full set Jim, and how you get on with the tool. It's something I'm sure a lot of us have thought about to freshen things up!

I did a search on here and found a list i made before when buying the jubilee clips :lol: Will make a better list when i fit the new ones, showing what goes where etc.

This is the list from before, not sure how correct it is, seem to recall not having enough or having too many.

13mm (2x required)

15mm (1x required)

23mm (1x required)

27mm (8x required)

30mm (2x required)

39mm (2x required)

46mm (2x required)

I ordered this one yesterday - http://www.amazon.co.uk/TRIDENT-ROUND-CLAMP-PLIER-T371201/dp/B00J5MA4M8/ref=sr_1_89?ie=UTF8&qid=1408526576&sr=8-89&keywords=hose+clamp+plier

It's the one I've seen Stealth use and it's excellent. I wanted something middle of the road as some of the other ones on there seem too cheap. I like the ratcheting ones too, which leave the clamp open whilst you faff around pulling the hose off with both hands. Neat.

Adjustable water pump pliers are my weapon of choice, hence why I now have a black thumb nail...lol

For info, from experience the VW spring clips are a lot stronger than Honda ones, just something to maybe bear in mind when buying aftermarket clips.

Rog.

Yeah the ratchet bit comes in handy, one handed operation if you use it with your thumb ;)

The only problem I've ever had is when I released the big maf clip and it wouldn't quite open up enough to go back on, I had to squeeze the clamp with my hands whilst the wife put the tool back on, that was an experience lol

I'm happy to use jubilees on things like the maf and some of the smaller hoses.

Something i do remember doing in the past was placing a jubilee clips over the prongs of the spring clip and tightening that until it squeezed the clip, Did work but pings off quite easily.

Nothing wrong with WAGs handling one's tool :)

Jubilees are just crap and shouldn't be used anywhere on the engine, imo. The spring clamps are fit and forget and keep a constant tension on the joint, which is exactly what you want.

Cheap jubilees rust and you can't get them off again. Better jubilees are still rubbish because people either over tighten them and cut the hose, or too loose and hoses come off. Remember the cooling system operates at around 15-18psi pressure. Not only that, the tension on a jubilee clamped joint relaxes because there's no spring tension to compensate, so you have to periodically check them.

They're junk, don't use them guys :)