Sean_Jaymo

Rare aircraft in the air today

Luckily (or not depending on who you are) I work in the back end of nowhere on an airbase where the BBMF are based. This has allowed me to see both of the only remaining airworthy Lancasters flying together on a regular basis and I feel very privileged to be in this situation.

Today I was again luckily enough to be at said airbase to watch the 2 Lancasters and Vulcan take to the air together for possibly the first and last time ever.

Cue some very dodgy footage from my phone. The wind was gusting so ruined the sound but turn it up and you will hear the glorious howl of the Vulcan followed up by the best noise ever invented by mankind, 8 Merlin engines on song! Enjoy it for the noise, not the picture quality!

Wish I'd gone to see them - amazing sight!

Thought I'd share this video I found earlier of the two Lancasters (along with the Spitfire and Hurricane) at Eastbourne earlier in the week.. thought it was quite nicely shot, from a good location, and if you have good speakers or headphones really captures the rumble of the engines that most videos don't. Brings a tear to you eye - such a sight!

Wish I'd gone to see them - amazing sight!

Thought I'd share this video I found earlier of the two Lancasters (along with the Spitfire and Hurricane) at Eastbourne earlier in the week.. thought it was quite nicely shot, from a good location, and if you have good speakers or headphones really captures the rumble of the engines that most videos don't. Brings a tear to you eye - such a sight!

Th legislation surrounding advertising and charges for flights in historic aircraft is about to change, so private owners are able to charge more to recoup some of the phenomenally large amounts they have to spend to keep them airworthy. This can only be a good thing in th long run so fingers crossed, more will become viable to put back in the air in the not too distant future.

Brilliant heard it was happening today but over the otherside of the country no chance of seeing it.

Very cool, Ive stood in that very position once watching a sqaudron take off when on an RAF intro course. Never joined.

I had hoped to see these but i don't think it will happen.. There is some great footage on their Facebook page for those who use the site..

Is a shame as i love Military history in all forms and 2 Lancaster Bombers on the move, must be a fabulous sight (and sound)...

I was at the Farnborough air show in the seventies with my parent's was only around 6 year's old but remember seeing a Vulcan go over and break the sound barrier still with me now Totally Amazing :suprised:

I was at Farnborough the other week for the airshow repairing a Red Arrow that met an kamikazee Pigeon. Airliners should not fly like that!

My wife happens to do a lot of the Facebook stuff for BBMF.

Edited by Sean_Jaymo

At Coningsby?

Me? Is Coningsby near Farnborough all I know it was an awesome day and still remember that along with the red arrow's and some crazy Russian planes. Man nearly 40 years ago :shocked!: Time fly's

I posted that as a reply to an earlier statement but 5 or 6 posts had been made between posting and it being published.

Hence I've now edited it to make sense.

Coningsby is no where near Farnborough either :)

I posted that as a reply to an earlier statement but 5 or 6 posts had been made between posting and it being published.

Hence I've now edited it to make sense.

Coningsby is no where near Farnborough either :)

My geography is not good sean thought you were asking Coullstar but was a little confusing ;)

I seem to have quite a bit of Vulcan "stuff" about, Its since we donated some money (as a forum) to the Vulcan trust in memory of Chris Gaskell.

Am sat at work drinking from my Vulcan mug, checking the Vulcan calander, selling raffle tickets :lol:

That's not a bad shout actually - sort of forgot about the Chris Gaskell / Vulcan link!

Very cool. I used to be stationed at RAF Scampton, the Vulcann left shortly after. The red arrows were also there. Loved it.

Ahh Yeah sleepy Scampton. I'm in and out of there regularly. Actually I'm in and out of most stations all the time!

Thanks for posting , am I right in saying that's a stealth aircraft used in the Cold War ? .

Me Rob?

The Vulcan was a very heavy, very long range bomber. Have a Google about the bombing raids on the Falklands.

Tactical nuclear bomber, long range and could operate at extremely low altitudes. Fantastic piece of engineering, shame that this may be the last year it will fly unless the £200,000 winter service schedule costs are raised. After the 2015 season it will become a non flying exhibit, displaying only engine thrust runs and taxi'ing shows, this is due to major components of the aircraft being unavailable and far too expensive to start manufacturing again.

See the website for more info and how to support the project with a donation: http://www.vulcantothesky.org/