Roger Chatfield

HID's

Has anyone fitted HID's to there Corrado??

Saw a mate of mine who has aftermarket hids fitted to his Astra, really bright.

I'm not a fan of the blue-ish light but you can get them in a warmer colour, maybe a solution to the woe full lights on the Rado.

Rog.

I started to try and make a set from some standard lights and some of those angel eye halo type, but i didn't get very far. Just have a pile of lights i took apart :lol:

The trouble is you need a clear lense on the headlight, which the angel eyes have, i planned to use a normal corrado light, mount an HID unit in it, and then fit the clear lense, i also thought i could maybe mark out a circle on the lense and then blast or etch the rest of it so it looked bit more standard.

Im sure there are some out the Rog

i thought there were new laws about after market HID's & MOT's though?

i think most people would go with the loom upgrade & then better bulbs route as this vastly improves the light output

personally i would avoid those 'blue' tint bulbs as IIRC they are meant to be less effective in most driving conditions

personally, i have fitted a KUR2Y uprated loom with ring xenon ultima bulbs in both the gf's & my VR's & i plan to upgrade the valver to the same in the near future

FYI light output with the said bulbs is fantastic on normal dipped beam & then 'whoa i can see for miles' on high beam :D

i thought there were new laws about after market HID's & MOT's though?

Factory fitted systems need levelling sensors / motors and washers, but aftermarket ones don't seem to, judging by how many people seem to get away with it.

Aftermarket ones really are a bit pikey though. Have a search for Mystic Rado's (iirc) posts on the subject. He went to great lengths and concluded they're schit. Stick to uprated looms and bulbs.

:) What we need is someone like Hella to remanufacture the Corrado headlights properly, with the levelling system and correct lenses etc. MK4 HID levelling is easy to retrofit and the 'ECU' for the xenon levelling is built into the headlight. Piece O cake.

But Hella will just say, get lost ya pikeys, we've seen how many Corrados were on the scrappage list, we're not wasting our time on this.

Or you could of course just buy a car that his Xenons already fitted as standard :D

I'm not sure what exactly she has on her car but Wendy has a HID headlight kit that Stealth retrofitted into the existing headlights. Had no reliability issues with them yet, and they've been on the car for years - and up until recently it's always been her daily driver.

On my friends astra the hids simply replaced the existing lamps, no modification to the light units required.

Obviously with Corrado light units the wiring is internal so there will be some wiring issues but nothing major.

Anyway, I'm half way through making my own upgrated loom so I'll see how much it is with that and night breakers before I consider the hid option.

Rog.

Its the glass that cocks up HIDs, if you have all the reflector lines like the standard corrado lamps it mucks up the beam pattern of the HIDs, you need clear glass.

Would like to see what Wendy has.

i think there may be abit if confusion going on over hid bulbs ie the replacement lamp type and projector beam units.all abit old hat now the new kids on the block are the cob led projectors

i think there may be abit if confusion going on over hid bulbs ie the replacement lamp type and projector beam units.all abit old hat now the new kids on the block are the cob led projectors

Drop-in Cree LED bulbs are not legal. If OEMs can't even produce an adequate LED headlamp yet, do you think 50 quid ebay LEDs are going to work properly in Corrado lamps?

I'm not normally a fan of pikey aftermarket HIDs but the ones in my C are awesome. Look great, light up the road great and from what I've been told they look factory to the car in front. Not great pics but kind of gives you the idea...

E32416FC-8A82-449B-A42A-6243C84593F7.jpg

0B41AA66-FF5A-4151-9BF5-E75CD05761FB.jpg (this bottom pic was around 5:00am when we were setting off to Worthersee so not pitch dark but not as bright as it looks in the picture)

Mine came with HIDs of the pikey variety. 6k eBay specials and the previous owner cut holes in the headlight back covers with what looks like a blunt spoon. :rolleyes: I took them out straight away due to as Kev says, MOT regs stating they must be self levelling and have a wash function.

bain of my life them lights, i don't know what type they are other than they aren't standard, give off a hellish blue or yellow haze to oncoming drivers, nightmare on country roads throughout the shire!

suppose being low doesn't help my cause

I had a set of 6k HIDs, and it did make driving visibility alot better but they had that blue tint to them

Wasnt keen on the colour so sold them.

I was told that if you get a set of 4.3k HIDs they are vertually the same tint as standard, just brighter

The fluting on the glass is vertical so it doesn't mess things up that much, and it's still a much better cut off than a reflector housing can offer. I've been experimenting on an old set of headlights, I'm trying to make an oem looking pair of projector headlights like the Rallye had. I'm amazed at the quality of the Projectors for the amount of money they cost, you can get them for £28 on eBay now!

Chinese hid projector in Corrado housing

cf98510b1643f6b2e7f9f77474594532.jpg

Projector pattern on wall in messy garage

a30dc853dc08766a8e32cfe238436f87.jpg

With fluted glass in front

15b56525c2a05d52746c2af250a85edf.jpg

The fluting on the glass is vertical so it doesn't mess things up that much, and it's still a much better cut off than a reflector housing can offer. I've been experimenting on an old set of headlights, I'm trying to make an oem looking pair of projector headlights like the Rallye had. I'm amazed at the quality of the Projectors for the amount of money they cost, you can get them for £28 on eBay now!

Chinese hid projector in Corrado housing

cf98510b1643f6b2e7f9f77474594532.jpg

Projector pattern on wall in messy garage

a30dc853dc08766a8e32cfe238436f87.jpg

With fluted glass in front

15b56525c2a05d52746c2af250a85edf.jpg

Looks great! Do you have any details of how you did this?

I don't even drive my C at night the lights are that bad. Have a prominent blue tinge but not sure on the type of bulbs but can barely see 15 feet in front of me. So much i've had to do to it they've kind of been overlooked. Plan to upgrade the loom but keeping an eye on this thread. Had aftermarket HID's on previous cars but wouldn't consider them on and older car like the Corrado.

Well I'm still getting there, I'll do a write up if the results are good enough, the initial tests seem promising, and the projectors are not that noticeable in the headlight. Shown below is the beam pattern hid on the right and the halogen on the left. The projected HID light is still way better (for cut off and spread) than the reflected halogen, even through the flutes. Need to get 4300 bulbs instead of the 5k in there!8212e0077e60adc63d6cf980d95bc9b8.jpg

Edited by KipVR

I got a hid in a Corrado, not a mine choice, they were in a car when I bought it and I'd have to say they are brilliant. I can see at night :)

As for the MOT, hmmm the car just passed it last week with hids fitted, and before u ask, MOT guy wasn't my friend.