Roger Chatfield

HID's

Uprated bulbs and loom and jobs a goodun. All these newer cars having to use full beam on country roads i just roll with dipped main and can see clearly

Kip, what do you mean by 'beam pattern hid'.

That looks very good, I'd be happy with that.

Rog.

Hi Roger, sorry that should have read "Shown below are the beam patterns, HID on the right, and halogen on the left"

Please note standard HID conversions without the projectors are nothing like this, they have a much worse pattern than a standard halogen bulb.

Do projector lights have the same rules as HIDs?

My wifes Beetle has projectors from factory with standard bulbs and there is no leveling or washers so if you put a HID bulb in a projector do the same rules apply?

Thanks! Yes the same rules apply, it's technically not legal because the headlight is e marked with a particular type of bulb. But then that also makes anyone with led indicator bulbs illegal too! Here is what they look like installed8e1353de885e7eec7571efa5336d89dd.jpg

Edited by KipVR

That does look impressive. What is the wiring like? I assume it would also benefit from the relayed headlight loom?

That does look impressive. What is the wiring like? I assume it would also benefit from the relayed headlight loom?

cba to read all the prior comments but i run 3000k hids, they project the yellow light, and as they are yellow no1 thinks they can be hids so ive sailed threw 2 mot's,

i agree the blue light doesnt suit the rado, but the yellow i think suits the era. yer you may blind the odd person as you dont have aspheric lenses to accurately distribute the light but as long as you have them pointed down they arnt too dazzling for other drivers, main advantage is the huge amount of visibility difference! really do light up the road, be careful when buying hids though as there are alot of **** ones kicking about, as long as your spend over £50 your should be fine though!

Edited by EJ Taylor

Thanks Fla, you won't see much benefit in light output from a relay loom like you would with a halogen setup, but you'd still reduce the load going through the switch which is important. You need to use a 5 pin changeover relay anyway though, because the hid setup has only one filament where there are normally 2 in the h4 bulb. You have to use the high beam to activate the shutter and keep the low beam filament on by using the relay. Hope that makes sense!!

Ok makes sense, thanks. Perhaps when you have time you could put together a little summary of what would be needed and a wiring diagram?

Yeah I will do, as soon as I've finished fitting the lights and wired it up properly, I'm just waiting for bits to arrive in the post at the moment...

Thanks! Yes the same rules apply, it's technically not legal because the headlight is e marked with a particular type of bulb. But then that also makes anyone with led indicator bulbs illegal too! Here is what they look like installed8e1353de885e7eec7571efa5336d89dd.jpg

can u upload more picters please ?

This is all I have at the moment. I'm in the middle of changing the bulbs for less blue ones and doing the relay loom so the lights are out again..

3d30e22bcda636dba24ef516063c591a.jpgaf897e2ad197f4db61f7fc385505e1bf.jpg1c45801be6a4f1a6c700199d9aa7aa01.jpg

Came out great !!!

Do you have a picture of the flashlight is not on - and the vehicle filmed from afar? :)

Sorry - I'm just working on something like that - it's very interesting me - I will also upload pictures :)

Getting? :lol:

Nah it's all good. Corrados need modernising. Just not sure about HIDs. Never been a fan of retrofitting them. The car makers get the levelling and light spread right, but maybe Kip's will be different / better!

We'll see, I'm not sure how this will turn out either!! I just want lights that work well for me and don't blind people the other way, but I don't want them to look like they are aftermarket. Retrofitting projectors is the only way you can fit HID's with good results, and it's something I've been wanting to try for a while but the cars going to become my daily so I thought I'd crack on with it. The self levelling is fairly easy really, I can use my existing headlight motors with it, and run the sensor off the rear beam like the brake compensator.

Isn't the back of the projector going to stick out the back of the case? If so how are you going to seal it? Don't forget the reflector inside the casing moves to aim the light. Also, one of the main benefits of projectors is their ability to disperse light evenly and across a very wide arc, by planting it so far back you're limiting the sideways projection to the angle of the reflector.

Still it certainly looks more oem than my attempt!

yes this is the problme for now -the back of the projector is stick to the battery - and its very very hat :(

its looks oem ... but 2 long in the back

And so I ask from you more photos of the car - Taken from afar and lights are off... please