delfinis38

Talk to me about Wrist watches

okay I know some of you love your watches as much as you corrado.....

Im looking for a new watch and no suggestions please from the argos catalogue.... I know its a personal thing but dunno really whats good and whats a bit of a gimmick.

looked at a tag yesterday that was reduced to £700 and quite like the look of an Oakley that I saw in Covent garden....

I'm not really a watch wearer but want to replace a watch that is 19 years old that I had on my 21st birthday. I expect the new watch to last until im 60 :)

so where do I look and at what brands.

Get yourself an old Omega, something like a 60's or 70's speed master, it'll last for ever and go up in value.

Doing the maths it appears that your 40th is approaching, I think it would be quite cool to have a watch the same age as yourself.

I always planned to get myself a 1969 speedmaster (first watch on the moon and the choice of the Apollo astronauts) but alas I didnt have that sort of money.

Seamaster is good choice as well (what James Bond wears)

Rog.

Edited by Roger Chatfield

Really depends what your budget is, if you don't mind me asking. Will sort of govern what I'd recommend :)

Really depends what your budget is, if you don't mind me asking. Will sort of govern what I'd recommend :)

Was thinking initally about 750 - 1250 but would stretch a bit for something special that floated my boat. Or on the other hand if there was something about 400 - 500 mark that tickled my fancy that would be fine.

Edited by delfinis38

For that kind of money you can get a very nice watch. I'd personally avoid Tag Heuer unless you can afford their really high end stuff - really don't rate their midrange stuff personally. Will also depend on the style of watch you like - something more dressy, more utilitarian, divers watch, etc?

You could always go for a classic Omega such as a Seamaster or (my personal all time favourite) the Speedmaster which is available in a variety of styles and movements to suit numerous budgets. You could get the classic moon watch pre-owned for about £1500.

Other great stuff in your price range might include some of the following:

Longines Legend Diver (~£1,100 new)

longines-legend-diver.jpg

Sinn U1 (~£1200)

1984920.jpg

Junghans Max Bill (~£700-£800)

Junghans-Max-Bill-Chronoscope-Copy.jpg

Again it really depends on the style of watch you like!

I bought a Tag Heuer when I was 22 and that lasted 18 years as my main watch. I got an Omega Seamaster for my 40th back in 2011. Tag is still going strong and is used on Sundays:)

I've got a cracker that I've had for about 12 years now. Its taken an utter battering and still going strong, and only needed the battery changing once in that time. Well with your budget too!

What is it I hear you cry!?

Well its a Casio F91W of coarse!

:twisted:

I've got a cracker that I've had for about 12 years now. Its taken an utter battering and still going strong, and only needed the battery changing once in that time. Well with your budget too!

What is it I hear you cry!?

Well its a Casio F91W of coarse!

:twisted:

Haha same here - I've got a Suunto Vector that's been smashed all over the place but still going strong. You lot spend more on watches than I do on cars :lol:

I just see it as a hobby, just as the car is a hobby for some people. And some folks plough plenty of money into their cars! You don't have to spend a lot of money to get some interesting or unique old time pieces. You can pick up lovely old vintage Omega's for a couple of hundred quid, and old Seiko's and so forth for

I know what you mean Jim - different strokes and all that? May sound strange as I do like a nice looking watch but I'd never want to own an expensive one. Then again most of my friends thought Id had a knock on the head when I bought my VSR

I bought a cheap watch off ebay to take on my holiday with the lads £5.50 ish it looked the part as well.didn't want the omega to get lost

haha im still 12 with my animal watches, practical, functional, plus id look a right numpty with a dress watch

I do have two animal watches, sas (surfers against sewage) limited editions :nuts::nuts::nuts::nuts:

they have gone up in value from £40-60 when they first came out to about £180 max on ebay now.......watch connoisseur.....not ;-)

Edited by loepan

My rather sad collection...

Animal tide watch...this thing must be 20 odd years old...sits in my bedside drawer gathering dust...lol

IMG_4592_zpsbcb0ab2f.jpg

Citizen GN-4-S, bought this for peanuts whilst on a Caribbean trip many moons ago... My eldest son now wears it as his daily.

IMG_4591_zpsb6b9dce4.jpg

My daily, a Casio G-7700 G-shock, I love this watch, had for over 10 years and wear it 24/7, I wear it at work and it takes a real battering, I just wash it off with the nail brush in the shower... it's on its second battery and third strap (the straps go brittle, I think the oils and greases at work degrade the rubber). I cant recommend a G-Shock enough.. true work horses.

IMG_4593_zps30e639a1.jpg

And last but not least... my bestie... a Edifice EQS-500... Basically a posh Casio.... I got this when l left the Navy (3 years ago) really wanted to spoil myself with a Speedmaster but couldn't justify the expense so ended up with this... over the moon with it, nice and comfy to wear, looks good and has all the bells and whistles... I only wish I could wear it more but most days I'm either working or have something in bits so it'll get trashed.

IMG_4594_zps2e949c9e.jpg

And the dream watch, the one I wanted but couldn't afford.

Omega Mk 40 Speedmaster.

Omega_MK40_3520.53.jpg

Rog.

Rog.

Is this now a watch thread? :)

Bad pic, but here's my Avenger II Seawolf

WP_20140604_003_zps58b94384.jpg

We could turn this into the Multi-coloured Swap Shop. Board no.1 Swapping chopper, wants roller skates, Board no.2 Swapping Breitling, wants Corrado VR6.

I have a 1916 Longines trench watch , am I a bit out of date ? .

Now that I would like to see!