carrots

small compressor

I've been looking at small compressor s on eBay.I want to spray under the bonnet on the corrado.has anyone bought one .

You need to buy a compressor to suit the air needs of the gun being used, the gun will be rated used at a certain pressure (PSI) and cubic foot per minute (CFM) and you'll need some capacity in reserve otherwise you'll be waiting for the pressure to build up all the time. Most new guns will be the HVLP type - High Volume Low Pressure needing a high CFM from the compressor.

My advice is to ask sellers for their advice.

I have a 150 psi, 9 CFM, with a 150L tank (its 30 years old) and that can struggle using tools with a high CFM rating, you basically have to down tools until the pump cuts out and you have full capacity before you can go again.

Edited by Dox

The one I was looking at on eBay is 50ltr v twin 14cfm 116psi ,I thought it should be ok for the back of bonnet and slam panel

The one I was looking at on eBay is 50ltr v twin 14cfm 116psi ,I thought it should be ok for the back of bonnet and slam panel

Whats the gun rated at?

What other air tools would you like to use with it in the future?

Choose carefully with any future purchases in mind

I think the only tools would be a spray gun and maybe a da sander if it would run it

Do you already have a spray gun, if not I have one + spares collecting dust on top of my wardrobe. It is a DeVilbiss one, used for one afternoons training session only.

Ian.

that's pretty good TBH, 14cfm should power most things, you wont get a lot higher on single phase electric anyway, small respray job wont need completely continuous full air as you'll do small strokes and stop the full air use each one (trigger right in and spraying paint), my 100L 14cfm runs a large HVLP gun fine, 100L just means you have a little more buffer before the pump switches on, it's the cfm that's more important for running continuous tools like guns and sanders etc

With spray guns do you need a filter setup as well to remove moisture? I got a compressor from work, but have no idea about it, must find some instructions for it as it says it needs oil

I would Jim. Moisture is paints worst enemy when spraying, and water traps cost literally a couple of quid.