Chuggs1

Wish me luck - Coolant

OK just been doing some research on google (sorry work - yes in your time) - Seems like the worse case - head gasket and re-skim would be anything from £500 - £900 - that's going to blimin hurt but not as much as a new engine lol.

If this was the case - what other things should I consider having done at the same time (other than blue cap)?

Still hoping for best case of course!

Thanks - must admit it is a worry - but youre right - I need to wait until tomorrow for a diagnosis!

Fingers and toes crossed

So the problem a head gasket can cause to an engine is this something that can be repaired on that engine - is this a very expensive option?

If it is that - are there any other jobs I should consider at he same time?

Indeed m8, leave the stressing until you actually know what the issue is. I say similar to the gf as she worries about things that are not & have not even happened yet - its futile & a waste of energy, worry about things when they actually happen but try to make buffer plans for if or when they do lol

if the head does have to come off for a new gasket then 'other jobs' will come down to how much money is available.

when I had the chains & tensioners done on the VR I took the 'opportunity' to ask stealth to carry out some preventative maintenance as well as a couple of upgrade mods, those being:

head refurb with new valve stems seals, relapped valves etc etc

dropped some 263 cams in there but kept the old ones to make something with (a shelf or book ends something for the garage lol)

chains & tensioners, both upper & lower.

bear in mind that lower tensioner requires gear box off, IIRC, & thus changed the clutch & clutch arm (prone to bending over time) & thrust bearing etc

as I had the high lift cams I thought only right to put a BMC on & as then have a 'vince special' remap to take advantage of the mods

however, due to the mileage on my VR I then ran into issues chasing round ailing parts that decided to let go or not be working as they should due to everything else working so well.

I would hope that with yours only covering 54K you wouldn't get into the same paths I had to go down but have a look at my thread if you want more info about the experience http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=44751&highlight=g0ldf1ng3r

Its a good time to check the timing chain tensioner top pad, might be worth an upgrade to the MK4 pad and tensioner bolt. I doubt you will need to replace any other timing parts, Clutch should be fine as well. I'd check all the cooling components, especially the plastic parts, although its hard to tell when something might be about to crack.

Almost every coolant leak on mine has been a hose or a plastic part, the head gasket went eventually but was after 194,000miles.

Do you have the correct coolant or any coolant in there, its not uncommon for leaks to start as soon as the cool weather arrives, seen many people just using plain water in the system.

It was last serviced by VW so I hope the coolant I once had in there was correct! Lol - ok will stop stressing for now and will update once I know!

Will defo get all the cooling system looked at and checked.

If its head off then will consider some of these additional things. And she was running so sweet too!

sorry andy, I didn't mean my comment to be harsh on yours. it was definitely still a valid point :)

LOL - It's ok mate I didn't think you were being harsh - but I was stabbing in the dark a bit! :thumbleft:

UPDATE!!

OK Im very lucky - it wasn't the head gasket - it was a stuck thermostat! - didn't get the part number but its the one where 2 hoses go into the block (if that makes sense)

He had a really good look over the car in general and said its a really good one - couple of advisories - tracking needs doing, the 2 back tyres ate about 9 years old so suggested to get them changed even though there is tread on them and a knock from front suspension - possibly a bush!

Oh and he mentioned the MAF may need doing at some point - said something about it being temperamental - but looks like one of those jobs I can actually do myself

So a very happy me

Will get those things looked at once im paid

Thanks for all the advice guys - appreciated

Do you know what the symptoms of the stuck thermostat were - stuck closed, rad never gets hot water, stuck open, rad circulates too soon.

It was stuck closed so water not circulating from radiator. So car was running hot - water temp was getting up to 115-120. Just lucky not been on any really long journeys. It just overheated so much on Thursday that oil temp light came on and then steam pouring form engine bay - luckily I was just pulling up just outside a garage (was having new alarm fitted next door) when it happened so they took it straight in

Great thing was they are real enthusiasts - and love the V6 engine!

excellent new chuggs1! I bet you are relieved & im glad you stopped worrying before the diagnosis ;)

Yes mate and I even slept last night lol! - Very happy me - especially as mechanic was an enthusiast (just by luck) and has given me a great review on my car - I now have my mechanic for future work! - although will be trying to do some stuff myself and learn

Yes mate and I even slept last night lol! - Very happy me - especially as mechanic was an enthusiast (just by luck) and has given me a great review on my car - I now have my mechanic for future work! - although will be trying to do some stuff myself and learn

winner!!!!

Couldn't resist - went on a nice drive this morning (going nowhere) just to check it all out - after an hour - water temp at 80! Now that's better - great way to start the weekend. - Happy Days

Did find out the numbnut Alarm fitter did not wire my boot lock into the central door locking so a trip back there next week!