Chuggs1

Wish me luck - Coolant

Hi over the last few weeks I have noticed that my coolant is going down ever so slightly in the resevoir. Its dropping by about and inch (maybe less) each week. Now obviously this should not be happening.

I cant see any obvious leaks. I do have some white smoke from exhaust first thing in the morning but this quickly goes, Engine runs smoothly, no leaking into car form possible matrix problem. although did have the very odd slight whiff of coolant every now and then.

Hopefully this is just a small leak from a pipe somewhere?

worse case it could be Head gasket!!!!!

Have booked into local garage to diagnose next Monday - wish me luck its something small!

Any thoughts or comments are welcome

Thanks

If you're smelling coolant in the car, there's a good chance is could be the dreaded heater matrix. Remove the trim under the glovebox of the passenger side footwell and reach in to put your hand round the bottom / back of the heater box and see if you find any coolant..

Thanks will give this a go. The smell is not there all the time in fact its only been a couple of times I have got a whiff of it. Not sure what's the worse - heater matrix or head gasket - i'm guessing matrix is the better of the two evils!

Car does seem to run quite warm gauge reads 115 after an hour of driving - not sure if this is Ok or indicates anything!

a common place for small coolant seepage is from the auxiliary electric water pump - they tend to keep working but produce a pink smear around where the seals are in the middle

just in case http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-Made-in-German-Zusatzwasse

Thanks - I will pass these bits of advice onto the garage but will have a look myself to see if I can see anything at the weekend

Thanks will give this a go. The smell is not there all the time in fact its only been a couple of times I have got a whiff of it. Not sure what's the worse - heater matrix or head gasket - i'm guessing matrix is the better of the two evils!

Car does seem to run quite warm gauge reads 115 after an hour of driving - not sure if this is Ok or indicates anything!

is that your oil temp readout? FYI quite often the dash readout for oil temp is above what is at the sensor - stealth measure mine & the dash was always 6 degrees higher than said sensor. IIRC this was measured using a laser temp reader tool of some form

rather than your water temp?

also, another thing that comes to mind...

do you have a black or a blue expansion chamber cap?

if it is black, get yourself a blue one from VW as the early black ones are known to allow seepage. normally identified by the aforementioned pink tinge crust around the middle of the chamber

Is that the water or oil temperature?

And yeah, heater matrix is better that having to do the head gasket no doubt about it!

Is that the water or oil temperature?

And yeah, heater matrix is better that having to do the head gasket no doubt about it!

Jim - Don't think I have an oil temp gauge do I?? Its water I believe?! its the gauge on the left of fuel?!

also, another thing that comes to mind...

do you have a black or a blue expansion chamber cap?

if it is black, get yourself a blue one from VW as the early black ones are known to allow seepage. normally identified by the aforementioned pink tinge crust around the middle of the chamber

Its Black - will check for any pink crust - is this on the inside of the chamber?

Jim - Don't think I have an oil temp gauge do I?? Its water I believe?! its the gauge on the left of fuel?!

oil temps are viewable using the MFA & clicking until you see the oil sign ;)

hmmmm 115 water temps definitely doesn't sound right. however, it could be a sensor or stat or gauge issue rather than running too hot

when my VR was at stealth I recall vince saying a general rule of thumb for oil/water temps is that oil would normally be about 10 degrees higher than water.

thus I would check what your dash readout for oil temps are when the water is reading high. if you find your reported oil temp is lower than your water it would probably point to a sensor etc

Edited by g0ldf1ng3r

Its Black - will check for any pink crust - is this on the inside of the chamber?

no m8, the crust will be on the outside of the chamber.

the black caps are known to allow seepage when the system is pressurised, this then dribbles down the outside of the expansion chamber & forms the mentioned crust

get yourself a blue cap from VW

Thanks..... will go for a drive later and check temps on both oil and water and let you know - will also check for the crud on the outside

I do love this site!!!! And the advice you guys can give

Cheers

Thanks..... will go for a drive later and check temps on both oil and water and let you know - will also check for the crud on the outside

I do love this site!!!! And the advice you guys can give

Cheers

happy to share experiences & help out fellow forum members - its what makes this place & the community we have rather special :D

oil temps are viewable using the MFA & clicking until you see the oil sign ;)

hmmmm 115 water temps definitely doesn't sound right. however, it could be a sensor or stat or gauge issue rather than running too hot

when my VR was at stealth I recall vince saying a general rule of thumb for oil/water temps is that oil would normally be about 10 degrees higher than water.

thus I would check what your dash readout for oil temps are when the water is reading high. if you find your reported oil temp is lower than your water it would probably point to a sensor etc

OK just been for a drive - drove for 25 mins

Water temp 112 and oil 102

Stopped at a mates for 20 mins and then drove home another 15 mins

Water temp 117 (ish) and oil 112 - parked up and at for 5 mins oil temp started to drop and water temp stayed about the same - I could here fan running - when turned off ignition I think one fan stopped and another kept going - how does all that sound

And is this the correct part - is it the same price / more / less direct from VAG?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Corrado-Coolant-Expansion-Bottle-Tank-Cap-/331093750676?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d16b9b394

Thanks very much

And is this the correct part - is it the same price / more / less direct from VAG?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Corrado-Coolant-Expansion-Bottle-Tank-Cap-/331093750676?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d16b9b394

Thanks very much

Yes thats the part -

Or try http://www.gsfcarparts.com/parts/cooling-heating/cooling-system/radiator-cap

They are all the same across the Vw range up until recent models. (maybe even new models?) so don't be worried about finding one specific for the Corrado. Dealer is probably cheaper than that one in the link but not by much if you include postage from Greece! Probably get one from a local breakers yard for £2.

Ok there are quite a few on eBay for about half that price for other vw cars... But they do look identical ... Thought they may be different size or fitting. Seems like there is a premium on the ones marked Corrado!!

How old is the aux belt driven waterpump? I've seen them where the fins have completely corroded away

No idea. Bought the car in December. There is a big file with it but no mention of that being replaced. So I guess it could still have the original one.

OK just been for a drive - drove for 25 mins

Water temp 112 and oil 102

Stopped at a mates for 20 mins and then drove home another 15 mins

Water temp 117 (ish) and oil 112 - parked up and at for 5 mins oil temp started to drop and water temp stayed about the same - I could here fan running - when turned off ignition I think one fan stopped and another kept going - how does all that sound

Thanks very much

Am sure thats quite hot for the coolant temp, should sit around 90, do the coolant pipes feel hard after a drive? The fans would be on at 117, thats for sure. Am they both joined by a belt so probably just changing speed when you turned ignition off.

The cooling guide thread on here by Dinkus is really worth a read, explains the whole lot.

Cheers Jim - not checked the pipes will do - should they be bard after driving - take it they should be

Will take a look at the guide - cheers

Goldfinger mentions earlier in this thread that oil temp should be higher - but it is lower - se perhaps his suggestion of a sensor not working is possible?

I'd be looking for where the water is going, that should be the 1st thing to worry about. Oil temp should be higher really, if you think that's inside the engine and the coolant is trying to cool the engine and oil, the coolant wouldn't be doing much if its hotter. You can check the sensors if you have access to vagcom.

If the pipes feel really hard and looks a little bloated near the clamps its a sign of the coolant system over pressurising, it will usually blow the pressure out the header tank and you should notice some water marks around the middle of it, or underneath it.

Are all of the hoses getting warm after a drive? Could be the thermostat stuck closed causing the overheating.

Looks like I will be busy this weekend. All but the vagcom as don't have access ... But will see what h can find before I take her into the garage on Monday ... Cheers