daniboy1_2_3

Door problems

Hi there, im wanting to sort a few problems with my drivers door. I managed to damage the original drivers door with some dodgy reversing and a lamppost a while back. I rushed into the first bodyshop that said they could fix it as everytime I looked at the car I was reminded of what an idiot I had been.

To say I was let down by them is a big understatement. I provided them with a good second hand door which they attempted to rebuild. They ruined two scraper seals along with not fitting anything else properly. There was excessive wind noise and even the paint job wasn't that great. I took it back a few times but gave up on them ever being able to sort it out and ive been living with these issues for a while now. Even the glass rattles in the door when the door is closes and the handle is pulling away from its mounting point now. Ive decided enough is enough, its time to strip it all and start again.

If anyone has a good diagram of how everything is supposed to go id really appreciate a look.

I remember fromn stripping the old door there was a small white plastic clip attached to the glass. I think this may have been fitted incorrectly or not put back at all. Ive bought a new door handle which I managed to find second hand and ive ordered a new outer scraper seal from VW heritage as they have started to reproduce them fortunately. If anyone has any tips or advice for successfully putting everything back how it should be that would be great.

Is anyone familiar with a white plastic clip that should go somewhere in the door that might account for the glass rattling when I close the door?.

Has anyone any experience of the outer scraper seals that are being reproduced by VW heritage?

If anyone has a good workshop exploded diagram of a door they could share with me that would be a big help, thanks.

Put up a pic of how far you have got and of the plastic part . People will be able to help you from there . I have to do the same job on mine in the winter .

Edited by robrado974

There is supposed to be a white plastic clip on the door handle, to keep it from coming out from the door.

Looks like so:

357837242-nezokep1-300x300.jpg

Im offshore working at the moment, I don't have any pictures of this white plastic piece unfortunately, i was hopeing someone who has rebuilt a door might know what im talking about and have a useful workshop drawing I could refer to.

Door diagrams from VagCat at the links below.

Part 7 in the second diagram is a white plastic clip which is part of the door lock mechanism. The metal rod onto which the lock button is screwed clips into it and it operates the lock when you press the button down. I don't remember any white plastic clips joined onto the actual glass.

If the handle is loose in the door then simply tighten up the screw on the back edge of the door. You will find it just above the door lock mechanism. The one on the drivers door has a left hand thread (anti clockwise to tighten). The passenger side one is normal thread. Shown as part 16 in the second diagram.

http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/vw/COR/1992/76/56/848543/

http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/vw/COR/1992/76/56/848348/

Edited by leon263

Thats the clip, that would explain why the handle was pulling out of the door then! thanks. Those VAGcat drawings will be helpful in the rebuild so once again thanks. What have people done to replace the plastic weatherproof sheet and to reattach it?

I used heavy duty polyethylene plastic sheets and strong waterproof tape, then a round with the heat gun to shrink it tight and snug to the door. The black gummy stuff that is there is a better choice than tape, but I couldn't get my hands on some. I think VW might have a PN for it actually.

You can get butyl tape from ebay. Its the black atuff that vw use. About £10 for 5m or so iirc.

Check out the photos below. If the door handle is loose in the door, tighten the black cross head screw which is just above and to the right of the door latch. If you need to remove the door handle, completely remove the screw, pull the back end of the handle away from the door and slide it back and out. The white clip slides onto the lever on the back of the door latch (the one nearest the camera in the photo). You will need to remove the latch from the door to refit it. Disconnect the long bar that runs forward to the inner door opening handle at the handle end, remove the two countersunk screw that go through the latch and lift it out. The little short bar that runs up to the door lock button clips into the other end of the white clip. It's odds on that the clip will be damaged where the bar clips in but they are available from Greece of all places at great expense for what they are. Just do an e-bay search for Corrado door lock levers, right or left as they are sided. You could try VW Heritage if you need one, you might be lucky.

P8010002.jpg

P8010001.jpg

Edited by leon263

Thanks the pictures are a big help. Ive already tightened the screw in an attempt to stop the handle pulling away but eventually it works its way loose again and never fully pulls back into the door so i suspect the white clip or something else is causing me problems. Ill have a word with my local vw spares guy and see if they can still get hold of the weather membranes and putty to stick it on with failing that its going to be a rummage around ebay i guess. Has anyone fitted one of VW heritages outer scraper seals? Whats the trick to getting them in without causing any damage? Cheers.

Door diagrams from VagCat at the links below.

Part 7 in the second diagram is a white plastic clip which is part of the door lock mechanism. The metal rod onto which the lock button is screwed clips into it and it operates the lock when you press the button down. I don't remember any white plastic clips joined onto the actual glass.

If the handle is loose in the door then simply tighten up the screw on the back edge of the door. You will find it just above the door lock mechanism. The one on the drivers door has a left hand thread (anti clockwise to tighten). The passenger side one is normal thread. Shown as part 16 in the second diagram.

http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/vw/COR/1992/76/56/848543/

http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/vw/COR/1992/76/56/848348/

The pics aren't here any more (well I cant see them on my phone). By description, is part 7 still available? How do you get to it? My drivers door lock pin connecting rod has disconnected somehow.

Unless it just needs to be reattached? Don't know if clip 7 is broken. Thanks

I can't see the pics either . Are you talking about the plastic part that attaches to the door rods Hasan ?

Mine is broken too but I have a replacement. If you remove the lock mechanism you should be able to see it, as it slots into that. Unfortunately one of the bolts for my lock mech has siezed and I'm in the middle of drilling it out.

Rob - yes. I thinks its like a plastic 'arm' that the rod pops into. Sean like you say ill take the lock off and have a look. Just the hex head bolts to remove?

These are available from TPS, few a couple of quid . They are sided though , one is black the other white . You may as well do both sides .

I was refitting the window regulator so i thought i'd also refit the lock pin rod into the lock today (its been out for about 8 years!) Fitted a new door pin cover and in doing so the rod popped out of the plastic arm again. I assumed that it just slots in and you turn it 90 degrees to lock it in place? Or is there some other method to stop it coming out again? Dont really want to take the door card off again - i hope it can be done by just removing the lock?

Don't suppose anyone has a picture of this white plastic clip that goes onto the door handle in situ do they?. My corrado is off the road now with an ever growing list of jobs that need tackling. The door rebuild still being one of them.