MDMTechnik

VR6 Storm full restoration

Even the finish on the underside is astounding. Must have been an epic job getting rid of that wax!

Amazing job, I really enjoy these sort of detailed threads with all the pics in. Gives me motivation to see what I can achieve.......... although doubtful I'd be anywhere close to this! :thumbleft:

Even the finish on the underside is astounding. Must have been an epic job getting rid of that wax!

Amazing job, I really enjoy these sort of detailed threads with all the pics in. Gives me motivation to see what I can achieve.......... although doubtful I'd be anywhere close to this! :thumbleft:

Cheers. Yeah the wax was a nightmare. It was one of those jobs which you think wouldn't be that bad but after 8 hours and only 1/4 of the underside done, I was seriously regretting it.

I've gone too far into it really, everything now has to be 100%. I couldn't leave the underside how it was with all the work I've put into the bodywork, suspension, subframes and engine, it would of wound me up and looked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Future show winner.

It could probably win a show as is! Essentially better than new.

Certainly does look like it's going to be one of the best in the country, no doubt. It's stunning so far. I almost feel like you're doing a service to us Corrado enthusiasts to take one and so comprehensively restore it and put it back on the road :)

Wow, thank you all for your great support. I can't wait to get it on the road and take it to a show. I will let you know which show I go to and anyone is more then welcome to jump in for a passenger ride if they want.

Going to be quite a tough ride with all the poly mounts. I just ditched my powerflex rear axle bushes, wouldn't recommend them.

Going to be quite a tough ride with all the poly mounts. I just ditched my powerflex rear axle bushes, wouldn't recommend them.

What shocks and springs combo was you using?

I'd be scared to get in the passenger seat ! .

Oh I forgot to mention no shoes, only cotton socks with no holes, I will provide you with a fleece onesie, face mask and cotton gloves.

Wow, thank you all for your great support. I can't wait to get it on the road and take it to a show. I will let you know which show I go to and anyone is more then welcome to jump in for a passenger ride if they want.

Yer let us know which ones so we dont waste our money entering the show and shine. haha

Awesome work, and i second what Jim said, doing the Corrado and enthusiasts proud!!!

Yer let us know which ones so we dont waste our money entering the show and shine. haha

Awesome work, and i second what Jim said, doing the Corrado and enthusiasts proud!!!

What shocks and springs combo was you using?

I've had about 6 different sets, KW V1's, Weitec Shocks and springs, now have H&R and Koni shocks.

I also found the powerflex rear bushes have 3 slits in them and water gets in there.

I've had about 6 different sets, KW V1's, Weitec Shocks and springs, now have H&R and Koni shocks.

I also found the powerflex rear bushes have 3 slits in them and water gets in there.

I don't honestly find them that bad but it's not going to be used as a daily and I have fitted Bilstein B16 suspension so I can just adjust it to suit what I'm using it for. I run the Powerflex black bushes and competition suspension on a Ibiza and that's just about OK on the road.

I have a friend who had weitec coilovers with Powerflex bushes and that was nasty to drive. He then changed them for H&R coilovers and it's still poor but a lot better then the weitec.

All new rear brakes fitted today along with new bearings, stub axle, ABS sensors and heat shields.

73fa8b141cebf1171ed2af34b26e4650.jpg

36af2f6eaf2ac8583781dbccff6336c5.jpg

abd1ab5accba3b098335d2aae9ad161f.jpg

81d430a28876ff7c36625c0f41c609d3.jpg

Looks perfect.

If they aren't genuine discs, I would recommend spraying the discs (except the friction area) with a matt finish galvanised spray. It gives the discs the OE finish and stops them rusting. If you are going to put the solitudes back on it would be worth it.

I used some on my front discs

IMG_0089_zpsoefddcab.jpg

Edited by ChrisL

Wow respect to you Sir, you are truly showing some love to a well deserved icon.

It's a joy to see the a mount of effort and time your putting into this car, as this is something I would love to do, as I'm sure most owners with the bug would love to do if only... :cool:

Bloody Corrado wiring. Decided to convert to OBD2 and possibly tuck the wiring, had enough of the mess in the engine bay, can't believe they make it loop around the strut and then all the way across to the other side. 5d3747aa0608f31e7132bc591a97c51b.jpg

So got this done tonight. Engine and gearbox in.

f7868c1115bb8b486eb60595aded2612.jpg

1db79cec9396d0545c16c465bed9a519.jpg

Now comes the wiring.

Firstly convert to OBD2. Started some this evening, actually very easy so far but for some reason my OBD2 loom has 3 knock sensor wires but only 2 are wired up. It's all being chopped apart so could easily go completely wrong as wont be able to test until it's all tucked.

Plan is to run wiring through chassis legs from inside the car. Never done it before so it's all new to me. Made plenty of wiring looms and converted plenty of cars but never run it through the chassis legs. Going to put multi pin connectors on the wiring where it comes out of the legs except anything which is near the chassis legs e.g. Headlights.

Let the pain and nightmares begin.