cmalyan

Faulty immobiliser

Ah ok, yes the lights come on the dash, can hear fuel relay and I can hear a 'metallic clunk' come from the starter motor but it doesn't turn the engine at all....

bearing in mind you can tow start it & then drive it for 25 miles with no issue, your battery health indicator showing green as ok, & the above i would say it is likely the starter motor is jamming.

as i previously mentioned mine did as you describe above & once i had bump started it i drove to stealth ok, which is a good 35 miles.

giving the SM a knock only worked a couple of times & then it just clunked & did nothing

for a reason i cant recall Vince from stealth put a golf V5 SM on my VR

I was looking at the V5 starter motor the other day, as mine occasionally clunks so think it's on its way out. The V5 one is a direct replacement and the only difference I can see, it the VR starter is rated at 1.7 kilowatts whereas the V5 is rated 2 kW output. I've heard they're like little turbines starting it and much better than standard, so it's the way I'll be going.

I was looking at the V5 starter motor the other day, as mine occasionally clunks so think it's on its way out. The V5 one is a direct replacement and the only difference I can see, it the VR starter is rated at 1.7 kilowatts whereas the V5 is rated 2 kW output. I've heard they're like little turbines starting it and much better than standard, so it's the way I'll be going.

I think Glosterox has one fitted to his car, I'm kicking myself as I've thrown 2 away........

that sounds about right sean

I think Vince said he fitted it due to being a more powerful SM

ECP list both v5 and vr6 at 1.8KW, 1.9 TDi (AHU 02A gearbox and G60 type flywheel so should fit VR6s?) at 1.9KW

Just jumping in here as I had a starting issue with immobilizer issue - think its actually fuse 15 or thereabouts - same fuse as for the spoiler. The issue with mine appear to be the spoiler mechanism needing a refurb as it was blowing the fuse - activating the immobiliser - just worth double checking that fuse - that too is a 15a

Just jumping in here as I had a starting issue with immobilizer issue - think its actually fuse 15 or thereabouts - same fuse as for the spoiler. The issue with mine appear to be the spoiler mechanism needing a refurb as it was blowing the fuse - activating the immobiliser - just worth double checking that fuse - that too is a 15a

you're right it does share the same fuse as the rear spoiler - however, I couldn't see the rear spoiler listed on the google image results when I looked

you're right it does share the same fuse as the rear spoiler - however, I couldn't see the rear spoiler listed on the google image results when I looked

Pretty sure its either fuse 15 or 16 from left to right but cant be sure. Its definitely nearer towards the right that the left and is 15a - although some of the oter symptoms don't add up to a fuse - but always worth checking.

It starts with a push or tow, so that pretty much rules out factory or aftermarket immob.

The click will be the starter solenoid

Thanks all for the advice and suggestions - I've not had anytime to investigate further but I have just been out and checked the spoiler (manually) and it works as expected.

Interesting comments about V5 starter motor, certainly something I will investigate if it turns out to be that.

So I'm going to attempt to change the starter motor and just been searching online for a V5 replacement as per recommendations - would anyone know if this one from Euro car parts is suitable:

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volkswagen_Golf_2.3_2002/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/electrical/starter-motor/?402441362&1&d245dde80753f0ba7cc9e4de886a736d66864de9&000308

The plus is, they have it in stock, so I can do it this weekend!

*Update*

I've got the C booked in this week for a new starter motor - thought I'd try and start it this morning and it started first time!

Tried it numerous times since and no issues at all?! Think I'm going to still get the starter motor replaced on Friday, just in case but it's all very odd....!!

Starter motor replaced today and working great.....just like the old has been since Monday :scratch:

So I'm none the wiser, was the problem the starer motor and it just started working again, or was it something else?! It tied in with the first bit of frost we've had this year, could it be that? I've read that car oil thickens in cold weather, could it be that?!

I feel like this won't be the end of it.....