db82

Reinstate The 25Year Rolling Road Tax Exemption

At least they are still flat rate and not rated on CO2 emissions ...

Personally, I think we have to take the rough with the smooth. I think it would be right if the stamp duty thresholds went way up because the tax was actually intended to catch the uber wealthy house exchanges only, yet now it has become a general form of taxation. Equally, the modern car will easily last 25 years, unlike those made 50 years ago, so I'm ok with the threshold moving out a bit ..

So, if the government wants to make it 40 years, fine, but they should adjust other tax thresholds that are no longer relevant too..

Just signed and it'd be good if they'll sort it before mine hits 25 (currently at 24) but no doubt the government will continue robbing me of my hard earned.

The system isn't fair in the slightest. Some cars are nil tax due to emissions, yet motorbikes that have been clean for years and cause less wear to roads still cost £81 to tax.

I signed one of these a couple of years ago, made it to parliament for debate and lasted about 30 seconds before it was thrown out. Worth doing again and again but dont hold out much hope of it ever being passed.

At least they are still flat rate and not rated on CO2 emissions ...

This is a good point. Pretty sure, if we used the VR6 as an example, we'd be paying quite a lot more than we currently do. According to some car technical data site I found, the VR6 puts out 228g/km which would plop it into the £490 tax bracket. Honestly I'm happy to keep paying £230/year for the time being based on that!

All the same I have signed the petition as of course I'd love to pay less tax - but I just can't see it happening.

Should put the whole lot on fuel and not have the road tax

Yep then you pay for what you use.

Can't see them going back to 25 years but 40 is a bit mad but better than nothing.

What's weird is that for tax purposes a company classic car is anything over 15 years old - go figure..

Should put the whole lot on fuel and not have the road tax

That's the logical way to do it and I'd have no problem with that.. but can you imagine the uproar from the people that have paid out for a new car that fits into the £0 or £30 tax bracket?

62% of the price of fuel is tax anyway, putting more on top would be criminal and the government know that. This is why they don't scrap the road fund licence even though the money doesn't go back into road or transport, but just goes into a miscellaneous pot.

It's just another stealth tax and they'll never get rid of it. Ever. Even once we're all using electric cars we'll be taxed.

Not suggesting you should (as it's very dull and a little depressing) but if you sit down and look at everything you pay out, work out where you pay taxes (for cars its fuel duty, rfl, insurance tax, VAT) and compare it to your earnings and you'll see that the effective rate of tax in this country is extortionate, even though the headline 20% on your salary is quite low.

Rant over

You should try living in Ireland where annual motor tax on a 2.9 VR is €1440, about GBP £1100.

We also have a wonderful thing called VRT - vehicle registration tax which must be paid at registration for all cards. If I import a corrado from the UK I pay 36% of the 'open market selling price' which is determined by customs & revenue. Count yourselves lucky!

Perhaps that's why Ireland can afford to charge Apple, Amazon, emc and all those other multinationals almost no corporation taxes then..

This is why they don't scrap the road fund licence...

It's just another stealth tax and they'll never get rid of it. Ever. Even once we're all using electric cars we'll be taxed.

It serves a secondary function too as an annual registration system. Is the car in legit use by a registered keeper, is it SORNed or is it owned by a dealer.

Mostly it's a cash cow but this is a useful function too.