robrado974

Before I drop the sump , for the wishbone bolt .....

I take it there is no other way of getting the bolt out ? Other than moving the engine up slightly which is even more than a faff. Any secret way I don't know about ?.

Thanks

Rob

Bad advice removed

Sorry

:(

Edited by Dox

Can you cut the head off the bolt and pull it out thread first? Refit the new bolt the other way around?

I may do that , not sure if I can get to it to cut it , where it needs cutting though .

I usually take the sump off (gives a chance to clean it)

I only did the oil less than 250 miles back , I had a leak from the gasket , so I removed it then . I was glad to see the sump was very clean.

I was wondering the same thing, then I found a set of stainless steel bolts for the sump I bought years ago, so it'll be coming off :)

I don't think you want to be cutting the head off as I'm not sure you get to see the other end?

I don't think you want to be cutting the head off as I'm not sure you get to see the other end?

I think you're right, I'm thinking of another car entirely.....

Sorry

I may do that , not sure if I can get to it to cut it , where it needs cutting though .

Don't do it, the subframe itself is threaded (so no nut on the bolt).

If you don't want to disturb the sump its lift the engine or drop the subframe

Ok chaps . Thankyou all for getting back to me , I've dropped the sump . I don't have enough jacks n bits to hold the engine up . It's a bit worrying doing stuff like that on your own . I've already had an accident , bleedin spanner slipped and smacked me straight between the eyes !

Damn that's uncomfortable Rob hope you're ok. Did something similar when changing the big end shells on my car so I literally feel your pain!

I've ordered one of these,

7DD95C1C-CDE5-4B69-9376-D58F77ED44AA.jpg

just so I can drop the subframe, wishbones/hubs all in one go.......sounds easy when you say it fast :lol:

And I've lost my breaker bar :(

It's a bit worrying doing stuff like that on your own . I've already had an accident , bleedin spanner slipped and smacked me straight between the eyes !

Ouch! Mate, hope you're OK. Nothing worse than having to carry on as the cars in bits and you've got a sore hand (or head in this case)

I'm fine Mic , thank you . I'm stuck now , very frustrating . Nuts n bolts may as well be welded on ! I've plus gassed them so many times . I'm waiting for a mate to come back , he got called into work . You cannot hold a ratchet and a spanner at the same time and undo the nut , that's how I split my forehead lol .

If the rust has completely filled the void between the threads then plus gas can't get into it to work its magic. Heat from a blow torch before another dousing of plus gas is your best bet

I will have to do this I think . If I had the money to replace the shocks as well I could just cut the lot off and be done with it .

I'm fine Mic , thank you . I'm stuck now , very frustrating . Nuts n bolts may as well be welded on ! I've plus gassed them so many times . I'm waiting for a mate to come back , he got called into work . You cannot hold a ratchet and a spanner at the same time and undo the nut , that's how I split my forehead lol .

As I've lost/misplaced my breaker bar, I've been using a 4ft pipe on the end of my ratchet, and the advantage it gives you is amazing. Still to try the subframe bolts but my only worry is that I snap one