jaybo

Windscreen seal + mouldings

The upper bit on my windscreen is shot and can be pulled out by hand in some places so need to repalce it.

I foudn the below link on ebay. Does this include everything I need to seal it? Or is this jsut the trim?

Am i right in thinking there is a way to fit just a seal and scrap the other crap? Non oem part?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122051138561?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I just neet to find new white clips for the lower deflectors now as mine are all bonded...

I think i may have a few spare, i'll have a rummage later on and see if i can unearth them.

Send me your email and i'll get you photos sent.

Cheers.

The ebay link in first post contains everything. I bought one of them kits and only used the outer rubber seal, as your second link.

The other trims are three plastic parts that fit to the screen before you drop it in. I still have those parts and unlikely to use them. The chap that fitted my screen had all 4 parts but i used my rubber seal as his was just in a plastic bag and had loads of kinks in it.

Hi,

My outside windscreen trim also needs replacing - I assume you can replace it without removing the windscreen?

Can anyone advise how this is fitted - is it just a push fit or do you need to use a glue or sealant to hold it in place?

I've (tried to) attached some pics to demonstrate the need!

Cheers

Phil5782516ca9ec2ab2af0b65339dfce3f8.jpg47519b8e58ed5c022efbe64719121943.jpg

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Mines done that too. Its just a trim piece but best to check if there's any corrosion underneath. You could clean the body and protect against rust and fhen reattach the trim although its just meant to pop into a channel.

Its meant to be push fit. But if the windscreen slips down just a few mm when its renewed the seal does that. I just squirted some sealant under mine and taped it down for a day. Has stuck down well.

My fitter has mentioned when he did mine it was a bit crappy arrangement. Bumped into him a while back and he said he had used a honda civic seal on soneone elses corrado and that it worked well. But i haven't seen it or know much about it other than it was a civic seal.

Hi,

My outside windscreen trim also needs replacing - I assume you can replace it without removing the windscreen?

Can anyone advise how this is fitted - is it just a push fit or do you need to use a glue or sealant to hold it in place?

I've (tried to) attached some pics to demonstrate the need!

Cheers

Phil5782516ca9ec2ab2af0b65339dfce3f8.jpg47519b8e58ed5c022efbe64719121943.jpg

Mines got exactly the same issue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies all.

It's split from the section that pushes into the channel, so I'll see it the one from heritage is any good, as I think I'd need an awful lot of sealant to hold it down!

Cheers

Phil

Fed up with the two corners flapping around so decided to pull off the outer trim. Looks like its been filled with sealant or some filler pieces. 

Is that long piece on the side needed or can it be cut off? Also, the top is really full of sealant. How could tjis ne removed safely without damaging the paint?

There was some rust in the side channel which i scraped off and then painted with some kurust

Ive sliced off some of the base of that filler piece that looks like its covered in rust and almost dissolved away.

20200503_131325.jpg

20200503_131336.jpg

20200503_131802.jpg

20200503_131758.jpg

Edited by fla

The outer surround trim should just fit in without any adhesive- what happens here is when an aftermarket windscreen is fitted it slightly drops down therefore the gap is slighly to large and the surround trim does not house securely- you can just use some gasket seal to house it securely- tiger seal will be too strong and might remove your paint if you ever replace the window. Your biggest issue is that rust mate I'm sorry to say, you have a big job on your hands there to rectify that issue will be pretty bad uderthere chap Im afraid- will need glass out and rotten metal cutting out. .  

Someone has been in there before - as mentioned the windscreen gets bonded to the car and then surround trim is pushed in the gap- should not have that bit hanging out the car mate. I know because mine had the same issue - thankfully no rust undermine but had the flapping corners but sorted with some mild sealer to glue them in. 

If autoglass did the glass replacement they do a lifetime guarantee call them up if that is the case and see what they can do for you. 

From factory they would of had spacers for a perfect fit for the screen - a good fitter would have replicated this with a marker  before he removed the old window. I even purchased a new OE VW surround seal for mine and they still came out on the corners so it is 100 percent the windscreen has dropped a little on fitting. 

Edited by Keyo

4 minutes ago, Grande GTi said:

is there someone that is capable of removing a screen with out damaging and refitting with new seals ?

No point fitting new seals to a rusty edge - there are good window fitters outhere I now an Italian in Stoke On Trent who is the bees knees been in the game 40 years. Its the sort of job you want to get done in a body shop undercover so when the glass is out you can make any necessary repairs if required. Joys of classic car ownership. All the seals for windscreen are still available so you wouldn't dream of reusing the old seals. 

Edited by Keyo

9 minutes ago, Keyo said:

No point fitting new seals to a rusty edge - there are good window fitters outhere I now an Italian in Stoke On Trent who is the bees knees been in the game 40 years. Its the sort of job you want to get done in a body shop undercover so when the glass is out you can make any necessary repairs if required. Joys of classic car ownership. All the seals for windscreen are still available so you wouldn't dream of reusing the old seals. 

Very True, I am quite sure theres no rust but can be sure I guess, I keep getting a mystirious puddle of water in the passenger side foot wells, which needs to be sorted asap.

i just hate putting cars in to bodyshops as everything just seems to take forever 😞

That will most lightly be  

Scuttle airbox gasket or build up of debris in the scuttle area especially on the corner drain channel or debris under the three plastic lower windscreen trims. 

Internal Door card membrane. 

Or if losing coolant heater matrix leak. 

2 hours ago, Grande GTi said:

is there someone that is capable of removing a screen with out damaging and refitting with new seals ?

I had mine removed this week. £30 , out in 40 mins.And it broke on the very last corner....  there was no signs of any rust around the edges of mine,even with the trim and seals removed.  But with the windscreen out there was minor rust under there, possibly caused by the previous fitter about 7 years ago. I was glad it was out and that I could clean and treat it all. Good luck with finding someone capable.. who doesn't use the old disclaimer 'it's old so may break'

2 hours ago, fla said:

Fed up with the two corners flapping around so decided to pull off the outer trim. Looks like its been filled with sealant or some filler pieces. 

Is that long piece on the side needed or can it be cut off? Also, the top is really full of sealant. How could tjis ne removed safely without damaging the paint?

There was some rust in the side channel which i scraped off and then painted with some kurust

Ive sliced off some of the base of that filler piece that looks like its covered in rust and almost dissolved away.

20200503_131325.jpg

20200503_131336.jpg

20200503_131802.jpg

20200503_131758.jpg

I'm in agreement with Keyo. Fla you need to get that out and sorted before it has gone toooo far.

Or stick a new trim in for now and sort it at the end of the year. .. but definitely sort it

Thanks guys. I'll cut off that loose bit in the meantime and fit the trim back. After the lockdown I'll get it into the bodyshop

It may even be letting water in now mate, look what I found under my old hatch when I pulled the glass bonding up, it was horrendous under there just came away when I popped the glass. 6470FCD2-F8B2-401E-9BF6-252471FF75D6.thumb.jpeg.2026163d17685b25ebff8ed038641297.jpeg

9 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

It may even be letting water in now mate, look what I found under my old hatch when I pulled the glass bonding up, it was horrendous under there just came away when I popped the glass. 6470FCD2-F8B2-401E-9BF6-252471FF75D6.thumb.jpeg.2026163d17685b25ebff8ed038641297.jpeg

Wow that was bad Shaun- I know someone who corrado was that bad he had to cut off the whole front part of a donor car roof and get it welded onto his car. Its that wire the window fitters use to cut out the glass it scratches all the paint and then the rust shows its evil face in secret below the seal.  

The above is because a body shop was lazy. The prior owner has a rear wiper delete and glass out respray of the hatch, then refitted. 12 years later this is what you find. Painters are notorious for not wanting to bother getting all the old rubber off and prepping it properly. Like windscreen fitters, they figure by the time the rust comes through it won’t be your car anymore

Wow that looks bad! Hope mines not going to turn out like that...

Are all the trims still available? Ideally i would want to replace them all with the new windscreen.

I had a look in Bentley and the profile should be just a bead of seal under the windscreen allowing a lip to be present so the outer trim can 'clip' under it with an interference fit around the frame. Mine seems to be full of black silicone. 

Must have been replaced prior to 2004 when i bought my car so either its completely rusted senseless or its hopefully ok for a few months