GUS

Roose Hose Kit offer / VR6 coolant non-return valve

There is a non return valve in one of the pipes that goes to the throttle body. You will need to extract that and transfer it into the new pipes!

Top tip!!

thanks Jim

will keep an eye on the thread to see how you get on

i wonder why Vince didnt swap the valves out of our original hoses

OK - successfully installed today at last.

I popped to B&Q this morning and found a little kit that came with the ideal sized jubiliee clips, but only one per packet so had to buy two (about £1.70 each). As it turns out they're the exact same size and manufacturer as the jubilee clips already used to secure the coolant pipe to the throttle body, as supplied by Roose Motorsport.. handy!

I cut the pipe, installed the non-return valve and refitted it all - looks good. Will feed back next time I fire up the car whether it's actually solved the water noises from behind the dash! Took it for a bit of a drive and no issues with it leaking or anything so, job done.

Cheers.

Meant to come back to this and kept forgetting, but this non-return valve has indeed sorted the water 'whooshing' noises behind the dash upon ignition when the car has been sat for a couple of days. So if you've fitted aftermarket coolant pipes to your car and you didn't swap over the little non-return valve, this is a great substitute and does resolve the problem :)

Meant to come back to this and kept forgetting, but this non-return valve has indeed sorted the water 'whooshing' noises behind the dash upon ignition when the car has been sat for a couple of days. So if you've fitted aftermarket coolant pipes to your car and you didn't swap over the little non-return valve, this is a great substitute and does resolve the problem :)

tidy thanks Jim

i will go back a page for the part but would appreciate if you could confirm the size?

did the supplier put the direction arrow on it m8?

you have solved why ive had gurgling behind the dash since the stealth head rebuild :D

Edited by g0ldf1ng3r

tidy

keep an eye on the clip for the inlet on the aux water pump, mine came loose ;)

update on this - it wasnt a suspect jubilee but a failing aux water pump - as it sheared the end off of it & dumped coolant all over my mechanics workshop floor

tidy thanks Jim

i will go back a page for the part but would appreciate if you could confirm the size?

did the supplier put the direction arrow on it m8?

you have solved why ive had gurgling behind the dash since the stealth head rebuild :D

I know this has spilled over a few threads now but I'm sure the size was confirmed in another thread.. will try and find it. Supplier put the direction arrow on but it's pretty easy to determine the direction of the valve yourself - just blow into it!! :)

I know this has spilled over a few threads now but I'm sure the size was confirmed in another thread.. will try and find it. Supplier put the direction arrow on but it's pretty easy to determine the direction of the valve yourself - just blow into it!! :)

thanks Jim

i did you you had written this onpage2 "Alloy mini type - only thing I'm not sure about is the size.. can't remember if it was the 6 or 8mm version. Pretty sure it's 8mm" so wanted to confirm if possible

it will be in your ebay purchase history ;)

Yeah problem is it's not :( I checked and it doesn't actually show the size I ordered.

cool thanks Jim & VAG :)

i will order one today

EDIT - done, yay hopefully no more gurgling once fitted

Edited by g0ldf1ng3r

It still gurgled a little the first couple of times in place, but got less and less each time. Subsequent times it's been fine!

It still gurgled a little the first couple of times in place, but got less and less each time. Subsequent times it's been fine!

tidy

thanks for the feedback Jim & for the item details

Just found this thread, wondered why I was getting the gurgling from behind the dash so this makes sense. Fortunately I still have the old hoses so should be able to get the valve out - does anyone know if it is an issue not having it in the meantime?

14 hours ago, oneohtwo said:

Just found this thread, wondered why I was getting the gurgling from behind the dash so this makes sense. Fortunately I still have the old hoses so should be able to get the valve out - does anyone know if it is an issue not having it in the meantime?

Non on mine no problems, asked Vince and he said tosh

AFAIK the valve is there to to stop the heater matrix rupturing if there is a cooling issue or overheating, a safety/CYA thing as front passengers would get scalded. If the cooling system is up to scratch and maintaining temperatures within tolerances it won't be strictly necessary.

The gurgling sounds like there is still air trapped in the system, so the best way is to make sure that it is bled out when refilling - I tend to refill first, leave the reservoir cap off and start the engine and let it warm up, squeezing the top and bottom rad hoses every once in a while  - when the stat opens it will take a big gulp, so you'll need to top up quickly,  check the hoses again, then put the cap on, go for a drive, let it settle and top up as needed to get the correct level. The coolant is pressurised when hot, so be very careful when opening the cap - let it sit for a while.

• Like 1

A lot of people overfill as well, when the engine  is hot the level should reach the max mark on the reservoir. When the engine is cold the level will go down but not below the min level. Meaning you shouldn’t fill to max when cold on a fully purged of air system 

Yeah, I went through the bleeding procedure pretty thoroughly when I did a coolant flush so there shouldn't be any air in the system. I just stumbled on this thread by chance and the chaps who hadn't installed the valve were getting a gurgling noise which then went away after they did install it so I assume it is that. 

Sounds like it's not a major issue not to have it in anyway so not one of the urgent jobs! Interesting to know though. 

This should have all the info. It was the same for Mk2 Golfs and cars of the era that had the same matrix type fitted. This doc has all the instructions and part numbers.

I don' t think there should be any gurgling without the valve fitted - that was how the cars would have left the factory anyway - I'd say there might still be some air in the system somewhere, or also it could be the auxiliary electric water pump.

recall-matrix.pdf

That's some great info, didn't realise it was an after fit.

Maybe there is still some air in the system, but not sure what more I could have done to bleed it. Left the cap off until basically the last minute when the level was starting to rise and ensured I was getting heat into the heater matrix. I'll try fitting the valve anyway and see if that makes a difference. 

In hindsight I wished I'd changed the aux pump when I was putting the engine back together. From memory I had replaced the original which was leaking all over the shop with what I think was a Meyle one that doesn't fit properly in the mounts. Still seems to work fine though and I didn't get the gurgling before.