Tonyt123

New here .

On the look out for my first corrado ,I've had golfs t25's and currently have a t5 van and a Audi A3 sport.

I would prefer a valver over a g60 because the supercharger frightens me a bit ,but how much better is the vr6 compared to a 16v obviously sounds better but noticeable performance ? ,I have max £4 k for the right car .Thanks in advance .tone

Howdoo, £4k should get you a decent car. Depends if your more focused on good mechanicals or good bodywork.

They all have there pro's and cons's. 16v is a safer bet over G60 but a well looked after G60 should be good. Depends on your mileage.

Good choice on the T5, got one myself 6 months ago and one of the best things Ive bought.

Welcome Tony. Having owned a 1.8 16v and a VR6, I can tell you that performance is night and day between them. The valver also had a gas flowed head so a little over standard. Your budget should get you a pretty reasonable vr6 too and there are more parts available now. My experience of the 2.0 16v wasn't very good. I only drove one when looking for a short time, but I was pretty disappointed by the performance. Good luck with your search!

welcome tony

i have both a '90 1.8 16v & a '95 VR6

in fact, i have owned the 16v twice now as i did sell it a few years ago & then brought it back in 2014 - mainly as i loved the Kamei skirt kit that was on it.

as sean has mentioned above the difference between them is night & day in terms of performance but also a few differences in aesthetics too

maintenance costs are fairly similar from my experience but do make sure you check if the chains have been done if you go for a VR, if the mileage would warrant such.

FYI i brought my VR on 94K & had the chains done at 155K - but i also had a head refurb & some light breathing in terms of 263 cams, a BMC air filter & a remap (all done by Stealth Racing in Banbury) which put her up to 209bhp.

i thought this would be worthwhile mentioning as the power delivery difference over the standard map is very nice indeed. not that standard is bad, just that the responsiveness & way the power delivers is much better on the remap

oh & the sound! yes i shouldnt forget the sound as who needs a stereo when you have the beautiful growl turning into a full on roar as you go up the revs!!

it is addictive to say the least & even better with the BMC

i also now have a longlife SS exhaust on it which compliments the package very well & produces lovely burbles & pops on low rev gear down changes. there are a couple of videos on my build thread in members gallery if you want to hear ;)

one of the other things i love about the VR is how lazy you can drive it if you desire. it will handle pretty much anything tootling along at 20 or 30 in 5th gear, hills, islands etc but with the KW suspension on it should you desire it will make you grin from ear to ear in both the straights & the twisties :D

the valver can be lazy driven but doesnt cope so well with hills in high gears

i have leather in the VR & love the heated seats in winter but damn it is hot in there in summer. whereas the valver has material seats which are comfortable in both hot & cold

my valver, with it being a fairly early model, also doesnt have the issues with ABS as do many VR's beacause it simply doesnt have it

as for the other flavours of rado - my parents had a 2.0 16v at the same time i first owned the valver & i recall i didnt really like it that much. it felt a bit flatter than the 1.8 & seemed to lack some guts. IIRC im sure i had heard that the 1.8 16v was a better engine than the 2.0 as well

regarding the G60 i too would be fearful of the chargers & the expense to have them serviced/rebuilt properly. my chain work cost a pretty penny but at least i know they should last a very long time, compared to the relatively frequent servicing of the charger - hopefully someone here will know the mileage intervals but i bet they are massively lower than 155K miles lol (with that i have probably opened the usual can of worms that happens when we discuss G60 or VR6 lol)

i also kind of get the impression that chargers can be very hit & miss with reliability & can be prone to pop if you are a bit over exuberant with a downshift

take your time, if you can, to find the right one for you & avoid the forecourts/traders as they are all trying to make some big profits on there offerings

Edited by g0ldf1ng3r

Thank you all .so if budget allows vr6 it is .i used to own a Toyota celiac 2.8 v6 1985 back in the day and loved that prices are mental now though ,I've been looking for 3 months for a corrado but there either miles away or to expensive or need part body/ machanics work .

I will keep searching ,great forum btw thanks

Howdoo, £4k should get you a decent car. Depends if your more focused on good mechanicals or good bodywork.

They all have there pro's and cons's. 16v is a safer bet over G60 but a well looked after G60 should be good. Depends on your mileage.

Good choice on the T5, got one myself 6 months ago and one of the best things Ive bought.

Cheers mileage should be under1000 miles as a summer car really ,I would rather a bit of rust than dodgy engine trouble ..

regarding the G60 i too would be fearful of the chargers & the expense to have them serviced/rebuilt properly. my chain work cost a pretty penny but at least i know they should last a very long time, compared to the relatively frequent servicing of the charger - hopefully someone here will know the mileage intervals but i bet they are massively lower than 155K miles lol (with that i have probably opened the usual can of worms that happens when we discuss G60 or VR6 lol)

i also kind of get the impression that chargers can be very hit & miss with reliability & can be prone to pop if you are a bit over exuberant with a downshift

The frequency of G60 maintenance is really dependent on use and pulley size.

Going down from the std 78mm pulley runs the charger faster at all engine speeds from idle to the redline.

65mm takes the charger it to the limit at the engine redline so you have to be careful that you don't over rev on a regular basis. Most owners I know that run 65mm chargers tend to short shift taking full advantage of the torque.

Bar the charger the G60 is ostensibly a 8V GTI lump so is failry bullet proof and a doddle to work on.

I've owned a number of G60's and strangely the only charger that has failed on me was my bone stock VW charger with 25K miles on it.

G60 vs VR6 is always going to be a touchy topic around here and I guess you can tell i'm firmly in the G60 /16v camp as I feel these engines suit the car.

The sound of a G60 is also an aural delight. I'd try to get a drive in each to give you a better feel for which engine is best for you.

VR all the way for myself why bother with anything else? :) unless for same weird reason you don't like the sound track! :)

VR is a good strong engine and will last for years if you give it the love it deserves, but I guess that's the same for anything!

Welcome to the forum!

I started life in a 1.8 16v, completely rebuilt the engine and it really shifted! It sounded well with a full exhaust and swiss cheesed airbox, it felt faster than my VR6 but watching the speedo there is just no comparison. The VR6 is quite a lazy engine but when it gets going it really does go well, the noise is amazing and fuel economy is surprisingly good. I've put an R32 in mine but I do miss the VR6

The problem you get with valvers, is that if someone doesn't look after it properly you are in for a world of headaches as the k-jet is an absolute gremlin nightmare. If you were to go for a valver, I'd look for a 2.0 16v (late spec), can't comment on G60 as I've never had one or even been in one but would highly recommend a VR6

Because the VR is a boat anchor? :-)

ha ha ha you couldnt resist could you eh marks2 ;) lol

i thought you were going to avoid the G60/VR6 touchy topic

****bites tongue to stop myself****

Thanks again ,to be honest I'm not massively in to speed to much so I'm looking for anyone of them as long as it's in ok condition. A v6 is always going to get better votes I think .

i thought you were going to avoid the G60/VR6 touchy topic

I think we all agree they are great cars even with a boat anchor under the bonnet ;-)

The G60 does appear to have a bad rep which I think is a little un-fair even after experiencing supercharge failure myself.

I think we all agree they are great cars even with a boat anchor under the bonnet ;-)

The G60 does appear to have a bad rep which I think is a little un-fair even after experiencing supercharge failure myself.

ha ha yes i believe we do :)

personally i am not against the G60 & if i am honest i would rather like one so as to complete the set ;) lol

i was trying to be unbiased (a little), hence why i also mentioned the chains on the VR.

my own concern about the G60 would be more about the charger service intervals rather than fear of one exploding its casing lol

You'll need to be prepared to travel to find one tbh. The fact is that the vr6 sold so well, so there are also generally more to choose from. Where are you located?

Be happy in getting one that doesn't have the expensive problematic issues of

Sunroof not sliding back

Broken expensive late fog lights

Rust around windscreen areas

Rust at front wing at the A post

Broken bonnet cable

Headlight adjusters seized

Headlight fixings impossibly rusted

ABS light on

ABS light off as the light is broken

Ooo the list could go on. ... or was this just mine 🙃

But it's still a great car