GrizzlyBear

GrizzlyBear's G60 Jet restoration!

So last week I picked up my first G60 and second Corrado. An ad came up on the Corrado FB page for this car and as soon as I saw it I had to have it! I adore the Jet models, especially in Purple (my favourite colour) which this one is and even has the interior to match!

I drove with a friend for a 5 hour round trip to pick her up. She had been owned by a fellow member for some time but as you can see she is in a bit of a sorry state as the member who I bought it off just didn't have time to restore her back to her former glory.

I believe the last owner before the guy I bought it off had posted about it on here back in 2002, as that's all I could dig up on it so far but it did come with a huge folder of history.

So begins one of the biggest feats I think I'll ever take out on a car! I plan to bring it back to its former glory and have it so it look show quality and all original. It's going to be a massive job but I'm more than willing to restore this awesome piece of Corrado history and to love and care for it.

The original engine is gone and was replaced with a 20vt which is not present in the car so I have an empty engine bay!

It's also a left hooker, so I will have to search for European parts to try to build this car back up. The owner kindly gave me lots of spares (thank you again mate if you are reading this ;)) and to my surprise it even has air con and no sun roof thank goodness!

So that's about it for the moment. She's at home now waiting for me and my funds to try to restore her. I thought I'd show you guys as fellow Corrado enthusiasts and take you through the restoration and build up a nice thread for you all to enjoy. It will be slow for the moment but I plan to get into proper action next year.

Cheers for reading and hope to update this soon!

92e28aab2f7a603cb172ed35396d3233.jpg

6b4c369ef6eb728fb61d3c6f0fa7d8d4.jpg

d720f3c54898beb359203dfe7f83a258.jpg

bdccec3f78d08a5514d95b1300f8c93e.jpg

331f9ccb499872a80b26e62cf9dc4a95.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look forward to watching this one, always liked these. Fairly sure it was Corrado Sunderland that owned this, or he did own a Jet that was 20v'd and then he just fell out with it I think? Might not be this one

Wonder if this was NigelB's old Jet? Either way, great to see another one being saved!

Hi, fantastic!!! Would love one of these, don't see them for sale in Germany! All the best for restoration

Great save!

Good luck with getting her back together, keep the pictures coming ;)

Thanks mate, will do!

Look forward to watching this one, always liked these. Fairly sure it was Corrado Sunderland that owned this, or he did own a Jet that was 20v'd and then he just fell out with it I think? Might not be this one

Some of the receipts I have with the car do have Sunderland on them so it is possible!

Hi, fantastic!!! Would love one of these, don't see them for sale in Germany! All the best for restoration

Thanks mate :)

Wonder if this was NigelB's old Jet? Either way, great to see another one being saved!

Thanks Jim!

That is one hell of a project. Good luck. This will make Good reading

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Oooo I remember himmmm... he was rather rude most of the time :)

think your right

Oooo I remember himmmm... he was rather rude most of the time :)

think your right

I too agree, thanks easy for finding this for me :) I can confirm that it is the same car as the names on the service history match.

Oooo I remember himmmm... he was rather rude most of the time

Understatement Del! :lol:

Good luck with the resto. Good to see rare cars popping back into the scene... warms my soul...

Understatement Del! :lol:

Good luck with the resto. Good to see rare cars popping back into the scene... warms my soul...

Okay I was being polite.

Edited by delfinis38

Thanks all. I will be getting this car close to original as possible. I already have a set of estoril to go on so just need to get parts. I can guarantee this car will be brought back to its glory days and no engine swapping/modding involved! Just pure OEM ;)

Great purchase. I wanted this car, when Sunderland was selling it. He was going to put a 1.8T in it . Most people said no !, you will destroy a rare car. I was saving for my repaint at the time . I seriously thought about buying it and selling the VR . Good luck with it .

Great purchase. I wanted this car, when Sunderland was selling it. He was going to put a 1.8T in it . Most people said no !, you will destroy a rare car. I was saving for my repaint at the time . I seriously thought about buying it and selling the VR . Good luck with it .

Thanks Rob, don't worry I will make you lot proud!

Good man . I don't know how many of these are left ?, but it can't be many .

No idea mate. Apparently this is the only one in the UK but someone else must have one?

I tried to do some research but Volkswagen couldn't confirm the number made apparently.

Well the forum is huge . I believe you are the only one on here with a jet . Not that's to say , no one else has one in England , there may be one tucked away in a garage, but I doubt it .

Well the forum is huge . I believe you are the only one on here with a jet . Not that's to say , no one else has one in England , there may be one tucked away in a garage, but I doubt it .

I do hope so, just makes me want to sort it more and keep it going for many years :)

Fist bit of 'work' to this car ;) can't seem to leave it alone! I took these gauges and cleaned them up. They seem very good quality so I'll be keeping them :)

45fa0f9568313e1c6841f4410e5667c9.jpg

just one question though guys, this is an original gauge holder from VW, and some time ago it's had a hole cut in it for this thing, the black wire coming from the top of two gauges. Have any of you guys got an idea what it is?

a775a69656b6d50cb5cb1b125c60e3b3.jpgc001e3cab9cb03842bed2965aecf7b42.jpg

It's the old button for the ejector seat :lol:

Or more likely an old alarm/immobiliser fob/light