Cluffstarr

Blue 1993 Corrado VR6 in Yeovil, Somerset

Evening all,

So, I introduced myself here a couple of moths ago:

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?96388-First-Corrado-Finally!-Dark-Blue-VR6

I've wanted one of these for a long time and it's not been plain sailing since buying this one but that's mainly down to not selling other cars and a holiday getting in the way of me actually using it. Once I have sold one of the other motors (it's on EBay at the minute and fingers crossed will go to a genuine bidder), the Corrado will be sent for MOT and (assuming no horror stories) be taxed and back out on the road.

Since getting the car I have back flushed the coolant system which has resolved a hot running issue and changed the rocker cover gasket as it had oil on both sides and was leaking down into the spark plug wells on the rear bank. Since sorting those two issues, I still have an issue with the fans not running on stage 1 or 2 it would seem. Fans kick in very loudly at 110+ degrees (assume stage 3)

Plans for the car are to keep it as stock as possible and tidy it into something I can be proud of and enjoy owning / driving, as well as bring to shows and not be embarrassed against some other quality motors, the likes of which I see quite a lot of on here. Honestly, there are some fantastic rebuild / restoration threads and they give me motivation to get going on mine as soon as practically possible

First up will be tracking down this fan issue. I swapped the relay for a supposedly good one from a Golf Mk3 (same P/N) but same behaviour. Think I'm going to have to ring out the cables.

I then need to give the Rear Spoiler mechanism a good clean as it goes up around 65mph and should be a lot lower than that.

The car needs a service, including oil, air and fuel filters, plus I will swap the plugs. I also need to sort a blow on the exhaust which was an advisory on the last MOT. I will flush the gearbox oil too if it's not too big a job.

Picture of the car attached in its new house.

Also, one of the engine as it stands. I would like to clean up the manifold a bit. I've seen some chap on here did his in crinkle black / dark grey (and some other bits and pieces too). Does anyone know how to go about doing that? Looked very nice. Wont be stock I know - I should probably sand it and get it back to stock silver - Is there a recommended way to do this? I also need to get some loom tape as the original loom insulation has long disappeared in a lot of areas.

Final picture is of the replacement hose clip I put on the tiny fuel regulator pipe (Below the black pipe with the green clip) after the gasket swap - does anyone know if this is acceptable or should I go to TPS to see if I can get an OEM type one (which look very fiddly to fit!)

Oh, final question - is there an easy way to get jpegs/pics into the body of the post rather than just having pictures lumped at the end as attachments??

Look forward to hearing back from you guys and meeting some of you at any South West meets in the nearish future?

Cheers,

Cluffy

Years ago when I worked in a panel shop we used to have an aluminum spray that we used to spray on bare metal prior to or after welding I seem to remember... it was something like 99% pure aluminum or something like that, I sprayed all my inlet manifold and other ali bits on my MK2 GTI with that and it looked fantastic.... I really want to find that again... came in a dark red/burgandy can if anyone remembers? - could be worth looking for something like that if you want the stock look for your manifold?

Edited by Geeba

Years ago when I worked in a panel shop we used to have an aluminum spray that we used to spray on bare metal prior to or after welding I seem to remember... it was something like 99% pure aluminum or something like that, I sprayed all my inlet manifold and other ali bits on my MK2 GTI with that and it look fantastic.... I really want to find that again... came in a dark red/burgandy can if anyone remembers? - could be worth looking for something like that if you want the stock look for your manifold?

Hi Geeba,

Sounds ideal! What have other people done? Is it a case of just handing it over to a power coating company who will blast it and once smooth will give it a painted, even finish?

I'm also on the hunt for wheel refurbisment recommendations. All of the Speedlines need sorting out, including some big kerb damage to the rim of the nearside front....

Hi Cluffy - yeah it really was good stuff... I'll try and find it again, I'm not a big fan of powder coating mainifold etc... like you I'm a bit more of an OEM look, to make it smooth I think you would have to sand it down.

Pristine wheels are apparently very good, I've not used them but probably will when I get to the wheels ;)

http://www.pristinealloywheels.co.uk/

Years ago when I worked in a panel shop we used to have an aluminum spray that we used to spray on bare metal prior to or after welding I seem to remember... it was something like 99% pure aluminum or something like that, I sprayed all my inlet manifold and other ali bits on my MK2 GTI with that and it looked fantastic.... I really want to find that again... came in a dark red/burgandy can if anyone remembers? - could be worth looking for something like that if you want the stock look for your manifold?

In my industry (oil and gas) we use what's called TSA - thermally sprayed aluminium. I wonder if its the same thing as you used?

Vapour blasting is supposed to seal over the pores of the alloy so finger marks etc wipe off, dry blasting does the opposite.

I think Kip has had his mani vapour blasted?

In my industry (oil and gas) we use what's called TSA - thermally sprayed aluminium. I wonder if its the same thing as you used?

Thermal Spray is something completely different Hasan.

Ian.

Hi Hasan... I seem to remember it was used after welding for corrosion protection, I'm going to try and find it if its still available... it was great stuff and made the manifolds look like new castings and not painted.

With my engine out day fast approaching I'm going to need some ;)

I've got a vapour blasted upper inlet manifold in the garage to fit at some point. Twas an eBay bargain at £30!

I've got a vapour blasted upper inlet manifold in the garage to fit at some point. Twas an eBay bargain at £30!

A 2.9? A good buy if it was.

Someone on FB said they were getting scarce now lol, not sure why as they don't wear out do they?

Yeah its a 2.9 one. Certainly something to watch out for that you don't get the restrictive plenum when searching.

The Golf 2.8 boys like em for that reason though, which is why they may be becoming scarce.

I tried to fit it a while back but I over-tightened one of the securing bolts when putting the original back on so it needs drilling out now. :rolleyes:

My original had been sanded back and polished when I got it, but I wasn't really a fan. In my effort to go back to as close to OEM as possible I painted it when I did the engine refurb a few years ago. I got this one about a year ago in order to get it properly original though.

Mine will be for sale when I finally get it all together, but may be a while yet!

[quote=seanl82;I got this one about a year ago in order to get it properly original though.

QUOTE]

What is properly original, then??

BTW, I'm working through your build / refurbishment thread as it's one of the ones that is inspiring me to do the work mine needs even though decent weather makes mne just want to drive it!

Oh, and in your thread - how do you get the pics into the body of the post???!

Thanks bud, appreciate it!

The manifold should have a rough texture to it from factory. It does make cleaning difficult though unless kept on top of.

I use photobucket as image hosting, then copy and paste the URL link into the body of text on here.

I used an aerosol product called alumablast on a lot of my engine alloy parts

Gives a very natural finish , would recommend it

Available from Frosts

I used an aerosol product called alumablast on a lot of my engine alloy parts

Gives a very natural finish , would recommend it

Available from Frosts

Having seen it I can say it does look very good indeed, and very close to the actual aluminium colour as I've seen in paint. :thumbleft:

Evening All,

So, I've sold two cars in the last month so now feel I can splash a bit of cash on the Corrado over the coming couple of months as well as getting out and enjoying the car.

First stop - MOT booked for tomorrow! FIngers crossed and then the decisions about what to spend on first (assuming I don't get a huge bill - think it will need some work to the exhaust..!)

Waiting to be driven down tomorrow am:

100_5408_zpszxcjqt4l.jpg

All the best to all - wish me luck !

Cluffy

Evening All,

So, I've sold two cars in the last month so now feel I can splash a bit of cash on the Corrado over the coming couple of months as well as getting out and enjoying the car.

First stop - MOT booked for tomorrow! FIngers crossed and then the decisions about what to spend on first (assuming I don't get a huge bill - think it will need some work to the exhaust..!)

Waiting to be driven down tomorrow am:

100_5408_zpszxcjqt4l.jpg

All the best to all - wish me luck !

Cluffy

Looks lovely. You must be very pleased with it.

Thanks guys.

The Car's not without its faults and the paint isn't great close up but having a good hunt around there's very little rust I can see. I'm hoping that I have no issue bar a leaky exhaust that they may weld up. Should know in the next couple of hours...

Thanks guys.

The Car's not without its faults and the paint isn't great close up but having a good hunt around there's very little rust I can see. I'm hoping that I have no issue bar a leaky exhaust that they may weld up. Should know in the next couple of hours...

Mine doesn't stand up to really close scrutiny...... but i'd wager that's probably the case with most Corrado's that's left. Hope to MOT goes OK.

Well it failed on the CO2. He's going to try some additive that may temporarily get me a pass, but it looks as though I am looking for both a cat back exhaust system and a catalytic converter in the very near future. Can anyone recommend a company for a new catalytic converter as I have checked with TPS and they are no longer available OEM...

Cluffy

Well it failed on the CO2. He's going to try some additive that may temporarily get me a pass, but it looks as though I am looking for both a cat back exhaust system and a catalytic converter in the very near future. Can anyone recommend a company for a new catalytic converter as I have checked with TPS and they are no longer available OEM...

Cluffy

i can personally recommend Longlife exhausts - i got my VR done with them, 2.5" stainless from bottom of downpipe back with hiflow CAT for £400 a while back

EMISSIONS HELP

CO high, co2 low hc high, o2 high - rich mixture with ignition misfire

CO high, co2 low hc high, o2 low -faulty thermostat or coolant sensor

CO low, co2 low hc low, o2 high - exhaust leak after cat

CO low, co2 high, hc low, o2 high - injector misfire, cat ok

CO high, co2 low, hc medium to low, o2 high - rich mixture

CO high, co2 high, hc high, o2 high - injector misfire, cat not working, combination of rich mixture and vacuum leak

CO low, co2 high, hc low, 02 low, good afr and cat operation- system normal .

lambda typical range 0.97 to 1.03 [ ideal lambda 1 ]

The emissions limits to be met are specified for both the fast and normal idle tests. At fast idle, CO must be at or less than 0.2%, HC at or less than 200 parts per million (ppm), and the lambda value(1) must be between 0.97 and 1.03. At normal idle, CO must be at or less than 0.3%

Edited by Dox