nitsypee

Burning oil - what are my options?

My Storm is burning oil. What are my realistic options, other than topping it up (which is my current method)? Using about 1/2 litre a month.

Ta in advance

Depends what the symptoms are mate. Are there any minor or major leaks? If not, its likely going to need internal work with the head (valve stem seals) or block (piston rings). Either way it'll require further digging by removing the head to check. Do you get blue smoke from the exhaust when coming off the throttle?

It's definitely putting out some smoke from the exhaust. No oil leaks, so it's being burnt up somewhere.

I guess it's difficult to tell before it's investigated, but I don't suppose anyone's got a rough guide of cost for likely solutions?!

(And, linked to this, does anyone know if Jabba Sports would be a suitable helper? They're not far from me.)

Cheers

he heh! It is indeed. But am I just creating more damage, or making things worse by ignoring it? Or is it ok to live with?

It'll potentially damage your lambda sensor so could cause emissions test failure at MOT, but a small amount is unlikely to damage the engine.

The book states it can use up to 1l/1000km, like all car handbooks; it's not a good sign to use a lot but the cost of a fix is very high, so you need to be sure it's what you want to do before going that way.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

The book states it can use up to 1l/1000km, like all car handbooks; it's not a good sign to use a lot but the cost of a fix is very high, so you need to be sure it's what you want to do before going that way.

And money is a bit of a problem at the moment, so if it comes to the crunch it might be sell rather than fix. Which would not make me a happy chappie.

Why does it even matter? Why sell a good running car you love just because it's burning a bit of oil? It'll run for years like that.

Why does it even matter? Why sell a good running car you love just because it's burning a bit of oil? It'll run for years like that.

That's good to know. I was worried I might be causing more problems by "ignoring" it. Cheers.

What mileage is on her? I bought my VR off my uncle at 255000miles. He had a similar issue and it was diagnosed as the valve stem oil seals. He ran it without issue for years until the oil pressure dropped (due a to a worn oil pump drive shaft) but he didn't notice because the oil pressure warning system wasn't working properly! Which resulted in the chain tensioner failing and so on. Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is if you keep on top of regular maintenance and make sure you oil pressure warning systems are working ok then I would say it would be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it were piston rings on the other hand I would think you'd have running issues due to low compression. And it would be smoking a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The VR6 can have bore ovalling that causes oil consumption without having significant running issues. Point about it all really is that that is the only symptom, so you put up with it until the engine starts to run badly or you find yourself feeling flush enough to drop a couple of grand on a rebuild..

You could Always make me an offer on My, possibly only one, 19.000km run block, pistons and crank!!

That's guaranteed to sort your problem mate..

My mileage is around 135k. Used daily, oil level checked regularly, and I make sure I keep on top of servicing and anything it needs. It does smoke a bit, but I don't really have enough spare cash for rebuilding.

So - probably safe to leave it for now, I guess?

That consumption is normal, keep it topped up and it'll last years.

To answer my own question of whether Jabba Sports would be interested in investigating the VR6 engine - that would be a no. Popped in there today.

Also popped in my usual local garage, who suggested that the longer I left it the more likely it would be to fail on emissions in the MOT. Have they got a point? (That got me a little worried.)

Unlikely. It usually burns oil on the overrun, not on constant light throttle running at 3000rpm, which is what the MOT test does.

Anyway, as others have said, it's likely it will be years and tens of thousands of miles before anything significant happens.

To answer my own question of whether Jabba Sports would be interested in investigating the VR6 engine - that would be a no. Popped in there today.

Also popped in my usual local garage, who suggested that the longer I left it the more likely it would be to fail on emissions in the MOT. Have they got a point? (That got me a little worried.)

Some new audis use 1L per 500 miles, stop worrying about what could happen sometime never. £30 per year on oil burning is nothing compared to £4-5K for a full rebuild

Some new audis use 1L per 500 miles, stop worrying about what could happen sometime never. £30 per year on oil burning is nothing compared to £4-5K for a full rebuild

Some old ones too....my S4 uses quite a bit of oil between services.

I wish "burning a bit of oil" was top of the list of concerns with my Corrado!

If it's burning it on over run then the likely hood the valve stem seal are worn, probably due to worn exhaust valve guides. Common problem with old VR6 engines. So to repair properly would require the head off, guides replaced and valve seats re-cut. And possibly new valves if they are out of spec.