GrahamU

Black sun visors

Did any of the Corrado's come with black sun visors?

If they didn't, has anyone fitted some from another car and if so which car did they come from?

Seen some tacky looking leather covers on ebay but I not liking the look of those and dont fancy covering mine.

No C's came with black visors,mine have been dyed,and have lasted well.

There was a thread on VWvortex years ago,which told you what vw's came with black visors,and how to fit them(not a straight swap) IIRC it was a few cabriolet's

e6099895f64589e115e598dd111ac5dc.png

Pic of mine sent to show how good they look with black headliner

Nice

I wasn't sure they would take dye but they look good

I have seen some mk3's have them but they are a different fit and not cheap with the illuminating mirror

Like the center visor aswell, I have one of those aswell but also in grey

I have a set out of a TT that I was thinking of trying to fit at some point, I think the best ones are out a golf 3.5 cab

I would be interested to see if the TT one's fit, and they are half the price

On 7/27/2017 at 1:14 PM, easypops said:

I have a set out of a TT that I was thinking of trying to fit at some point, I think the best ones are out a golf 3.5 cab

I know this is old but you're still around so! Have a tried fitting those TT ones in the end? 

I too fancy black sun visors. Trying to decide between dying them or sourcing MK3.5 Cabrio black ones. Is it true these need Porsche 944 clips? 

Cheers! 

10 hours ago, ABV-VR6 said:

I know this is old but you're still around so! Have a tried fitting those TT ones in the end? 

I too fancy black sun visors. Trying to decide between dying them or sourcing MK3.5 Cabrio black ones. Is it true these need Porsche 944 clips? 

Cheers! 

FYI i had my sun visors trimmed in alcantera when i had the headliner done - they did it as a sleeve which was stitched over the top & i was able to simple click them back in place

1 hour ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

FYI i had my sun visors trimmed in alcantera when i had the headliner done - they did it as a sleeve which was stitched over the top & i was able to simple click them back in place

that sounds nice.  Any pics?

I agree, any pics would be nice. I did think about this option has I have access to an industrial sewing machine. But, the part where it narrows down for the clip, I'm not so sure about how to pull it off... 

I am still alive, just snowed under with work. I didn’t use the Audi TT ones I had as they were too long. I ended up using the Golf 3.5 ones, not a perfect fit either but close enough for me 

6F4DD1BD-3447-4734-BB79-6963C7D5C4D9.jpeg

On the Campaign, the trim shop at Karmann created a simple sleeve (in a silmilar way to goldfinger describes) using the same headlining material and stitched them along the top edge. Painting the grey brackets and connectors black in the process. You can still feel the light and vanity mirror underneath. I can put a picture up if you like, but it’s pretty basic.

18 hours ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

i will get some pics & post them up - TBF i do love the black alcantera above head in comparison to the factory grey

Thank you, much appreciated. Close up pictures would be nice! Cheers 

9 hours ago, easypops said:

I am still alive, just snowed under with work. I didn’t use the Audi TT ones I had as they were too long. I ended up using the Golf 3.5 ones, not a perfect fit either but close enough for me 

6F4DD1BD-3447-4734-BB79-6963C7D5C4D9.jpeg

I knew you were still around! Thanks for the update, now I can forget about those TT's. These MK3.5 look pretty good to me. What kind of clips did you used? That interior looks absolutely fantastic! 

9 hours ago, James. said:

On the Campaign, the trim shop at Karmann created a simple sleeve (in a silmilar way to goldfinger describes) using the same headlining material and stitched them along the top edge. Painting the grey brackets and connectors black in the process. You can still feel the light and vanity mirror underneath. I can put a picture up if you like, but it’s pretty basic.

I would love a close up picture for sure, thank you for joining and offering. Making the sleeve is easy except where it meets the clip, that's the part that I'm not sure about. If I could see a close-up picture of this area, maybe that would help me figuring this out.. I'm thinking of dyeing the clips black to match and maybe a nice thin leather for the visors. Thanks! 

3 hours ago, ABV-VR6 said:

I knew you were still around! Thanks for the update, now I can forget about those TT's. These MK3.5 look pretty good to me. What kind of clips did you used? That interior looks absolutely fantastic! 

I used a Porsche clip as it’s identical but already black. For the fixed side I had to trim the existing part a bit to get it into the hole but then it was kind of like for like I think, it’s been a while 🤣

19 hours ago, easypops said:

I used a Porsche clip as it’s identical but already black. For the fixed side I had to trim the existing part a bit to get it into the hole but then it was kind of like for like I think, it’s been a while 🤣

Yes I guess it makes sense to use the Porsche ones if they are already black. Thanks mate! 

Here’s the visors on mine. Looks like they’ve been sewn as a pocket and slip stitched along the upper edge. One of the hinges is a bit stiff and holds itself off the roof liner, which is frustrating.

It’ll have to stay that way though, as I’m not likely to find one in a breakers yard 🙂.

293053F1-4970-4D05-B498-BE001963E0A2.jpeg

8C12C696-3694-492B-9C30-8E412A598190.jpeg

7D6F936C-4316-41C9-99C7-54311334D71C.jpeg

Just for info, TT visors are bigger so the hole positions need to be moved but I did fit them

50723809151_0fd08ec0fe_z.jpg

50723071833_6e031b1aa5_z.jpg

50723898442_4f2b1504b9_z.jpg

Even the light works when the visor is down 🙂

Edited by GrahamU

On 12/6/2022 at 3:21 PM, James. said:

Here’s the visors on mine. Looks like they’ve been sewn as a pocket and slip stitched along the upper edge. One of the hinges is a bit stiff and holds itself off the roof liner, which is frustrating.

It’ll have to stay that way though, as I’m not likely to find one in a breakers yard 🙂.

293053F1-4970-4D05-B498-BE001963E0A2.jpeg

8C12C696-3694-492B-9C30-8E412A598190.jpeg

7D6F936C-4316-41C9-99C7-54311334D71C.jpeg

Thank you, they look great and that means it is possible to make a "pocket" and make it happen. I'm thinking of maybe doing them in leather to match the shift & e-brake boots if I end up going this way. 

17 minutes ago, GrahamU said:

Just for info, TT visors are bigger so the hole positions need to be moved but I did fit them

50723809151_0fd08ec0fe_z.jpg

50723071833_6e031b1aa5_z.jpg

50723898442_4f2b1504b9_z.jpg

Even the light works when the visor is down 🙂

Thank you, that clears things up for the TT ones and I appreciate you taking the time to show. It's not that hard to drill & tap holes; the only "downside" I see is the headliner needs to be redone which is probably in the plans anyway! 

I ended up finding a deal on MK3.5 BLACK ones. They were cheap so I'll give them a try. That and I also have a spare set of Corrado ones that I can also cover in black fabric or leather. 

Now, all MK3.5 sun visors that I see look bulkier and have a flip up mirror instead of side sliding mirrors like found in the Corrado or TT ones. But I came up on that set, it's also from a MK3.5 as per seller but they look thinner or not as bulky and have the side sliding mirrors as well. I don't have a part number and I don't know why this set is different but it sure looks pretty close to the Corrado ones. Anyone knows more than I do about these? They're the ones in the picture. Cheers 

Screenshot_20221210-114938~2.png