robrado974

Fog light reproduction .

Afternoon chaps .

Im talking to a company , about making the fogs for me . If this goes ahead it will cost a few quid to set up , what with moulds and stuff . Any opinions on this subject will be much appreciated . These will be made of glass as oem . As far as im aware they are now a deleted part with no plans to make any more ,most that are on our cars now are cloudy , cracked and chipped , so i thought it may be an idea to have these made .

Kind regards

Rob

Afternoon chaps .

Im talking to a company , about making the fogs for me . If this goes ahead it will cost a few quid to set up , what with moulds and stuff . Any opinions on this subject will be much appreciated . These will be made of glass as oem . As far as im aware they are now a deleted part with no plans to make any more ,most that are on our cars now are cloudy , cracked and chipped , so i thought it may be an idea to have these made .

Kind regards

Rob

sounds an interesting project rob. are yours cracked / cloudy at the moment ??? I ask as i'd go for a set of fog indictor protectors instead... not pretty but cheaper than buying new fogs....

good luck with the project... I guess their will be some call for them...

Edited by delfinis38

Mine are not in the best condition Delfinis. Compared with my new indicators , they let the car down tbh. So many people seem to be after a good set nowadays. I thought if I can offer them at a reasonable price it would be worth doing.

I think its a good idea Rob like you say as long as the price is good and the quality acceptable. Thanks for looking into this.

Is it just the lenses you looking to reproduce?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, most people need the fog light glass on the corrado. It seems an ever increasing race to the forum to grab a second hand set of lamps with many of us missing out. I think its a wonderful idea and offer you the best of luck in your reproduction project.

Don't wanna pi$$ on the parade but you do realise how tedious and difficult it is to actually remove the old glass (that's the easy bit) then your faced with removing the cement like sealant from the plastic foglamp surround, no easy feat, then you gonna need the PROPER sealant and not unsuitable silicone stuff.

After all that you will probably find the internal reflectors rusted or tarnished..

I've done loads over the years so I've gathered a fair bit of hands on knowledge.

Like I said, don't wanna ruin anything but doing this work is not as easy as it seems, these components were designed not to be reopened.

This is my second time around at reproducing them . The first time I had two sets spare on my hands , I went to remove the glass and it fell off . A bit of careful scraping with a box cutter should release them , considering how old the sealant is . As for their use , they were not brilliant anyway, it's more for the aesthetics really , no cracks or pitting , which lets the look of the car down . It's in the pipeline anyway, depending on costs . We will see .

This is my second time around at reproducing them . The first time I had two sets spare on my hands , I went to remove the glass and it fell off . A bit of careful scraping with a box cutter should release them , considering how old the sealant is . As for their use , they were not brilliant anyway, it's more for the aesthetics really , no cracks or pitting , which lets the look of the car down . It's in the pipeline anyway, depending on costs . We will see .

rob - do you already have the fog glass to make the repro's from?

ive had 2 genuine new fog lenses in a box that came with the VR from back when i brought it

they have been waiting for my re-spray before fitting

i could potentially be persuaded to loan them for a short while if it would help

rob - do you already have the fog glass to make the repro's from?

ive had 2 genuine new fog lenses in a box that came with the VR from back when i brought it

they have been waiting for my re-spray before fitting

i could potentially be persuaded to loan them for a short while if it would help

That's very kind of you indeed.

I've been in contact with a company and they have come back with a price of £200.00 each to reproduce them . I feel this is to expensive tbh . It's the initial cost of the mould that is the problem. Hopefully I will be emailing a few more companies soon to see if it can be done cheaper.

That's very kind of you indeed.

I've been in contact with a company and they have come back with a price of £200.00 each to reproduce them . I feel this is to expensive tbh . It's the initial cost of the mould that is the problem. Hopefully I will be emailing a few more companies soon to see if it can be done cheaper.

no danger rob, just drop me a pm if you need them. i think my paint will be early next year now as the person going to do it came off his bike & broke lots of bones....crazy downhill mountain biker lol

wow i would imagine most couldnt or wouldnt muster £400 for 2 fog light lenses but yes the start up with molds etc is where the cost lies

i wonder if they make a heat resistant clear plastic that could be 3D printed

lego for example get nice clear plastic parts so light output could be ok but the plastic would need to deal with the heat

Wasn't there someone in the past that fitted glass from a different car altogether, seem to have a vague memory of it, maybe a BMW or something?

Wasn't there someone in the past that fitted glass from a different car altogether, seem to have a vague memory of it, maybe a BMW or something?

Yep, BMW E30 fog light lens is what someone fitted, they look similar to the Corrado's

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en-GB&rlz=1T4GGHP_enGB730GB730&biw=1680&bih=871&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=BMW+E12+E21+E28+E30+Fog+Light+&oq=BMW+E12+E21+E28+E30+Fog+Light+&gs_l=psy-ab.3...4056.4056.0.4303.1.1.0.0.0.0.42.42.1.1.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.pUt134CaYfA

I think the problem with the original Corrado lenses is that they don't use tempered glass, and crack either from stones or the heat of the light.

A repro lens with tempered glass would be ideal :)

I've never experienced the heat cracking the lens, drove about 30miles home once using the foglights as the headlights had decided to break :lol:

I've certainly had the heat crack. Bloody weak units. Not turned a wheel and had put the front of the car back together. Fog lights on and working oooo looks lovely.

Next day I notice one side is cracked !!!

I need to look into led bulbs...

Or only switch on if I ever drive to, allow for heat Dissipation

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

definitely interested depending on how cost vs volumes works out to be.

refresh my memory...are the fogs on the same on all the 'rados through the years, or was there a revision with the facelift ~1992? if so would the proposed design fit on old and new?

top work rob. cheers :)

Great idea, wish ya luck!!

My friend replaced his - and like VeeDubbed commented - very tedious.

Remember having no luck finding the high-temp silicone and then taking a few weeks to order it in.

But ya know, I'd probably buy a set.

Two sets if price was right ;)

Thanks for your efforts

The ones I've seen here in North America are different.

My car was German built and driven, shipped to BC in 2006.

Will you be making G60 or VR6 fog lenses?

Volvo iirc.

I thought it was Saab? they looked a bit wonky as I remember?