dazzx10r

My Corrado 1.8 20v turbo build

I had always been a fan of the Corrado way back when it was first brought to our shores in it's lhd guise, but I never actualy got around to buying one. Fast forward 28yrs and I find myself driving a 400 mile round trip to pick up a rather cheap and unloved 1994 2.0 16v. [ATTACH=CONFIG]90631[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]90634[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]90637[/ATTACH]

My first thoughts were to keep the car as standard as possible, but I had this little demon in the back of my head shouting 20 valve turbo:cool: 2 weeks later and I find a very good low mileage engine for the princley sum of £100. [ATTACH=CONFIG]90640[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]90643[/ATTACH]

I have a pretty good understanding of these engines and know just how potent they can be, I had already converted my old Lotus Exige using and AGU with Emerald ecu and an Impreza STI VF35 turbo.

So I made a start pulling the old 16v motor from the car [ATTACH=CONFIG]90646[/ATTACH] with the front end removed it was easy to gain access to the old engine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90649[/ATTACH] Loooks like I found the culprit of the car's stalling issues.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90652[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90655[/ATTACH] A quick test fit before stripping out the old wiring loom.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90658[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90661[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90664[/ATTACH] Mk4 Golf shifter fitted, I was very pleased with how this turned out, looks almost factory.:smug:

I should have taken more photo's of the shifter install, but I was quite busy working it all out how it was going to fit. I was going to send the wiring loom off to be converted but after reading the guide over on Club GTI I decided to give it a go myself. I say myself but a mate had a huge hand in doing it with me. Thanks Steve!

Well that's all for now, I'll get more photo's up over the xmas period. Merry xmas!

Very good work, well done!

What is the bike lurking in the back of the garage if you don't mind me asking?

Ducati Panigale 1299s [ATTACH=CONFIG]90670[/ATTACH]

Great to see another 20v Corrado, they suit the car so well and same colour as mine. I'd never done an engine conversion before but got stuck in and it was all easy enough, including the wiring. Is it on oem management? Any more plans?

Great to see another 20v Corrado, they suit the car so well and same colour as mine. I'd never done an engine conversion before but got stuck in and it was all easy enough, including the wiring. Is it on oem management? Any more plans?

Yes oem management, I have a Revo stg 2 map on my ecu. I'm making the downpipe myself. No plans with trying to chase big power, Im just going to stick with the KO3s.

Got a bit more done on the car today after the mad supermarket run. I finished up wrapping the loom with Tessa tape and fixed it into place, i'm running the loom along the inside of the scuttle, asyou can see I have my ecu mounted up in there just as it was with the 16v. I then went on fitting my Focus master cylinder, getting the servo back in was a right pain it's such a tight fit against the strut tower.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90676[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90679[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90682[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90685[/ATTACH]

I had a bit of a brain wave and thought I could maybe convert the old carbon canister into a catch tank, if it does'nt work then i'll get my mate to make me one and mount it in position of the carbon canister.

As things were going so well I thought I'd look at the strut brace that I've been working on. I cut the 2 m6 studs that hold the abs sensor cable from the strut tops and applied a bit of primer (i'll give it a proper paint at a later date).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90688[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90691[/ATTACH]

The 2 strut mounting rings were made from a lump of 5mm plate that I had knocking around. I cut it into a sqoare and then mounted it into my lathe using the 4 jaw chuck, once I had it centered I bored a pilot hole and then opened this up with a 70mm hole saw. I could now use the lathe to bore the centre out to the diameter of the inner strut top. Once I had a perfectly round circle I swapped the chuck over to my 3 jaw and mounted the plate from the centre of the circle, I could now turn the outside diameter to suit. Which left me with a perfect circular ring

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90694[/ATTACH]

I 'borrowed' a bit of CDS tube from work, I think this will do the job 4.2mm wall thickness :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90697[/ATTACH]

That's about all for today, I can't see me getting much done for the next few day's, something called xmas has gotten in the way.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90700[/ATTACH]

Test fit with the engine back in (again)

I wish I still had access to a lathe or a mill

It sure does come in handy, it's an old Colchester Master made in 1960! I only paid £500 for it and it's already paid for itself.

Manageged to get a couple of days back in the garage, been quite busy

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90706[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90709[/ATTACH]

I cut the flange fom the old mk4 golf downpipe and put it in the lathe to clean it up ready to make the downpipe when my bends arrive. That's the problem with ordering parts over the xmas period, postal delays and vendors closed for the xmas break.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90712[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90715[/ATTACH]

I stripped the old brake off and fitted my G60 discs that I already had. These mate up perfectly with the Mk4 Golf calipers, which I stripped and cleaned and then treated them to a coat of silver caliper paint. I went with silver because I did'nt want anything too ott, that and the fact that I already had the silver paint. :)

I managed to bet bak on the lathe and turned the ends up for my strut brace, I then weled it all together and went for a test fit

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90718[/ATTACH]

Posty came and left a few parts, of which were my new driveshaft bolts. I have not gone with the standard VW bolts, instead I have used high tensile (10.9) M8 x 80 cap screws. These are about 5mm longer than the standard VW ones and just poke through the other side of the flange. Being 10.9 tensile I wasn't scared of really nipping them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90721[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90724[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90727[/ATTACH]

Got some new brake lines through the post today, really pleased with them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90730[/ATTACH]

Also got some new gearshift cable ends

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90733[/ATTACH]

So I thought I would get the brakes all bak together with the new lines fitted.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90736[/ATTACH]

I fired up the compressor and gave the strut brace a coat of 2k black and got it fitted, this then gave me the opertunity to get the front suspension back on the car.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90739[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90742[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90745[/ATTACH]

So that's about it for now, I'm waiting on a few parts to arrive, Exhaust bends & a MAF. I'm going to make my own turbo intake rather than spend £80 on a silicone intake pipe, so to make a start I spun this turbo intake nozzle up on the lathe

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90751[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90754[/ATTACH]

It fits perfectly and blends into the throat of the turbo lovely. I had the idea from the old Badger5 one that I had on my Lotus.

I will fit a 2.5" to 3" silicone bend onto this and the rest will be made up of aluminium pipe.

Manageged to get a couple of days back in the garage, been quite busy

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90706[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90709[/ATTACH]

I cut the flange fom the old mk4 golf downpipe and put it in the lathe to clean it up ready to make the downpipe when my bends arrive. That's the problem with ordering parts over the xmas period, postal delays and vendors closed for the xmas break.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90712[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]90715[/ATTACH]

I stripped the old brake off and fitted my G60 discs that I already had. These mate up perfectly with the Mk4 Golf calipers, which I stripped and cleaned and then treated them to a coat of silver caliper paint. I went with silver because I did'nt want anything too ott, that and the fact that I already had the silver paint. :)

Looks like you have 288mm brakes and 280mm disks? If so the pad will over hang the disk and in some cases the disk will over heat and the pedal will go to the floor when used in anger