VEEDUBBED

Digifiz cluster..

Right then my little weasels,

Anyone know anything about the golf Digifiz digital instrument cluster??

I've got one spare that has been stashed for 20+years but I can't get anything digital to work.

Anyone ever buggered around with one?

Probably better off asking on clubGTI or one of the mk2 forums Andy. A lot of very knowledgeable folk on there, though the experience is thinning out a little as time passes but you may find an old post on it possibly......

Didn't know there was a digi option for the MK2 Golf ?

My knowledge of the cluster was you swapped the 8V 120mph one for the 160Mph 16v item..... I can remember looking at my mates UR Quattro that had a digi dash and thinking - I bet thats a PITA when it goes wrong! LOL!

I've got a very early MK2 cluster in the garage.. 1984 GTI, one of the first and it had the economy meter fitted with the gear change light that was dropped on later models

The Digifiz is too small to fit snugly into the Corrado binnacle, it would need a bit of fettling and a surround to look right.There's plenty of info online about fitting them to a Mk2 Golf.

The most common digi dash conversion for the Corrado that I've seen is using the ones from an Astra GTE - there was a post on the FB group a while back from a lad that had a few of these for sale.

I don't mean the actual phisical fitting, The cluster doesn't work, just the digital part, lights and warning lights are fine.

Just wanna know if anyone has ever repaired one.

There is bound to be a voltage regulator on the pcb.

It will most likely be a T0-220 3 pin device (probably with a small heat-sink attached).

Check you have +12V in and my guess is 5v out.

When you have found the device google the part number for the datasheet to establish the pin out.

Andy,

First start by performing a visual inspection of the board components then the solder joints.

If everything looks OK check the voltage regulator.

I've taken a pic of a std Corrado dash to give you some idea of what you are looking for. This uses a LM2940T low drop out reg (yours may be different).

Using a multi-meter check you have +12V on the input and something like +5v on the output. Don't short the pins together so you may want to find another earth point on the PCB using the continuity function on your meter first.

If the regulator is OK my next step would be to check the XTAL (component circled in the 2nd photo). Unfortunately you will need a scope to do this. (Pity you're not in the UK as I could help).

Excellent mate,

Now that you mention it, i have indeed checked the entire PCB for any obvious damage but i found nowt..

One curious thing that happened was that whilst removing the back cover, i found a stray resistor sitting on the top of the plastic panel, this is apparently a very common fault with the digi dash, the heat from one of the illumination bulbs (The 5W ones) weakens the solder and this causes the resitor to fall off..

Try as i may, i can't find any missing components off the PCB though!

Mark, is this your job? repairing stuff like this?

I'll get you a couple of photos of the PCB loaded up and try and upload them on the forum.

Cheers

Edited by VEEDUBBED

Get some pics up of the resistor and area on the pcb that the blub is close to and let's see if we can spot where it came from.

'Mark, is this your job? repairing stuff like this?' - close but no I don't repair electronics for a living.