Dave-e

ABS dash warning light

Hi guys , my light doesn’t light and it looks like the fault is with the printed circuit board / light .

Can anyone supply me with a working one or advise best way to fix .

Thanks , Dave

The pics are of an early dash light.

There are 4 clips that secure the PCB / Connector assembly into the housing.

Use a small flat blade screwdriver to un-clip taking care not to damage the case.

The PCB assembly slides out of the housings.

There are 4 components on the board (2x general purpose 1N4007 diodes a 8R2 resistor and a filament bulb).

The diodes / resistor can be tested in circuit with a multi-meter.

My money would be on the bulb having failed. To test the bulb set your multi-meter to read ohms. 14 ohms (or there about) indicates the bulb is good.

While you have it apart check the solder joints with a jewelers loupe. If any of the joints look suspect re-flow with tin / lead solder.

Alternatively (if yours is an early dash) £20 and the one in the picture is yours!

Edited by marks2

Thanks , mine is the later one ! Sod’s law . It looks like it may be the bulb that has failed .Can this be replaced ? Where would I source one ?

Dave

Thanks , mine is the later one ! Sod’s law . It looks like it may be the bulb that has failed .Can this be replaced ? Where would I source one ?

Dave

I replaced the bulb on mine, open yours up to see if its been butchered to get the car through an MOT.....

The bulb and pcb are there and have not been damaged . I assume to replace the bulb it has to be desoldered and removed . What is it replaced with and does anyone know where to get one ?

Thanks , Dave

Guaranteed that at least one of the small plastic locating tabs will snap as soon as you even glance at the bloody thing.. Try heating the plastic body first mate, not 100% certain but it normally avoids damage.

My soldering is on a par with my welding , a bit rough but I am sure I can find someone who can .

Dave

1w 12v filament bulb, or similar LED with an in-line resistor from any good electronics supplier - try Radionics, would have said Maplins until the last few weeks...

Yeah, the bulbs tend to blow if there is an ABS fault as they're not meant to be on all the time, like mine was! Make sure you test the loom connector and PCB to check that it is the bulb and not something else.

Yeah I am sure there are other faults with sensors or whatever .This light has been out for some time and abs is not working but as you say I will need to check pcb and bulb first before moving on to checking the rest of the system .I am hoping to have a fault reader check to see what this reveals .

Dave