fla

Uprated loom fuse melted!

Went to switch the lights on yesterday and the dipped beam wasn't working. Thought the relay had got stuck but when i checked the fuses the dipped one was totally burnt out. The holder was also slightly charred. Any ideas?

I'll be cutting it out and soldering a new one but ideally I'd like to ensure it doesn't happen again for the same reason..

Thanks

Edited by fla

did you find out what caused it? I'm suspecting that the fuse holder is not that moisture proof. I'll be using lots of silicone sealant around that area, although longer term plans are to move the relays inside the car.

I need to do something with mine . I stuck the relays to the battery cover. They fell off and got wet , so my lights failed as well .

Usually caused by moisture damage that shorts the fuse. Happened to me when a coolant pipe leaked and sprayed coolant under pressure all over the engine bay. You can get fuse holders that have a removable cover and are waterproof.

This thread had prompted me to search out my old MK1 golf up-rated headlight loom I did some years ago based on the 3 relay design which BRM Motorsport used to sell back in the day, I will be rewiring this to suit the Corrado lighting circuit.

Here's a pic of the old loom complete with fuse caps to keep the moisture out, all the components came from vehicle wiring products, the only thing is it uses the old style fuses.

How can we protect the relays ?. I presume you can’t put them inside something as they will get to hot ?. Ive tried using double sided tape and sticking them to the battery cover , so they are not sitting in the battery tray . But they fall off in the end .

If your wanting to keep it all oem ie: not drilling holes for some discreet support bracket etc there's not a lot you can do, but to protect them you can either get the relays with the cover over the fuses (if you have fused relays) or put the relay block in a small ABS box, the relays don't really get that hot.

Rob mine are in a box. Nice and dry but the fuses are exposed. They're the splashproof ones but even these got moisture in them.

I've replaced the failed fuse holder but will cover it with some grease to keep it waterproof. Some silicone grease will be fine. I'll post up some pics shortly including the burnt fuse holder

Edited by fla

What sort of box are you using Hasan ?. My fuses seem to be stuck in the air so I don’t have a problem with them .

I'm using an small household electrical junction box for my relays and fuses. Mounted on the inner wing next to the battery.

Where is the best place to get an Uprated loom

I believe someone on here was producing the three relay version for the corrado... I think his name on here is Kur2y

The idea for using three relays is one relay is for the dip and the other two are for the off side and near side main beams, if one of the main beam relays or its fuse fails you still have the other one to light the way home.

The more common two relay loom is just a cut down version and if your main beam relay or fuse fails on the move your buggered.

Both loom versions work but its down to personal choice at the end of the day.

If you keep your original connectors to switch the relay it's also simple to re-connect the original loom if anything fails on the new one in an emergency.

If you keep your original connectors to switch the relay it's also simple to re-connect the original loom if anything fails on the new one in an emergency.

True, But my point is.. if like me you live in a rural area with unlit roads with plenty of bends and if both your main beams go in the dark its a bad situation when on the move.. better to have the safety margin of a three relay loom, but yes always keep your original loom and connectors intact.