Stormy_VR

Newbie here from West Sussex

Hey all. Just a quick hello from me, recently got myself a Rado so thought I’d join up as I’m sure I’m gonna need your expertise and advice along the way as I delve into the world of ‘tinkering in my garage with my little piece of freedom!!’ Plus I need some ‘like-minded’ people to talk about it all to as the missus just don’t get it!! Lol!

Welcome! Fire away and get yourself a members gallery going :)

Lots of knowledgeable people on here and on the facebook site too.

Thanks guys! First thing is bodywork, few little dings and a couple of small rust bits I want to sort out, but my ‘wish list’ has grown ten fold in a few days!! 🤦🏻*♂️ Want to get it sitting a tad lower, roughly 35-40mm, so was thinking of some decent springs on standard shocks as I don’t want to lose all the ride comfort and the shocks were replaced with new oem parts less than a year ago, any thoughts??

Thanks guys! First thing is bodywork, few little dings and a couple of small rust bits I want to sort out, but my ‘wish list’ has grown ten fold in a few days!! *♂️ Want to get it sitting a tad lower, roughly 35-40mm, so was thinking of some decent springs on standard shocks as I don’t want to lose all the ride comfort and the shocks were replaced with new oem parts less than a year ago, any thoughts??

Don’t think you’ll get a comfortable (ie close to standard)ride with any 35-40mm drop, and standard shocks with lower springs is not the way to go anyway.

Yeah I realise I’d not get the same ride near to standard, just didn’t wanna lose it entirely (if even possible) and just wondered whether anyone had a certain set up close to achieving this. My ears are open to any advice/set ups anyone has that hasn’t gone the full blown coilover route!

Welcome to the greatest Forum in the world.

I put some Eibach springs on the standard shocks to make it look slightly more sensible. If you do this make sure you get the correct spring plates as they do an early and late version, which is actually dependant on the spring.

Enjoy the car and Forum mate

Cressa

H&R do a set of green springs that will mildly lower with standard shocks - to be honest, if it's a Storm you have, try and keep it as original as possible as that is where all the smart money is going these days - or make any changes easily reversible and keep the original parts.

Early VRs used different, sightly shorter springs and sat a tad lower as a result - that might be worth looking into as well.

H&R do a set of green springs that will mildly lower with standard shocks - to be honest, if it's a Storm you have, try and keep it as original as possible as that is where all the smart money is going these days - or make any changes easily reversible and keep the original parts.

Early VRs used different, sightly shorter springs and sat a tad lower as a result - that might be worth looking into as well.

Be in the in crowd and keep the 4x4 off-road look. I have...

I put some Eibach springs on the standard shocks to make it look slightly more sensible. If you do this make sure you get the correct spring plates as they do an early and late version, which is actually dependant on the spring.

Cressa

Haha thanks a lot for the info, appreciate it 👍🏼

Yeah I don’t plan on too many major mods, just suspension and probably wheels so I can keep the originals in as best condition I can ( under some blankets in the garage!) And whatever I do take off will certainly be kept so I can put back to original if need be

I will have some pictures for you over the next week as getting Eibach springs and Bilstein B8 shocks fitted. Watch out on eibach springs - as said you need a different spring cup up front (as with most springs) and the rear eibach springs are sometimes incorrect (sits way to low) but eibach replace free of charge. See my build thread in members rides for details on this.

I liked the eibach kit as it just drops the car 20-25mm so it looks more oem by today’s standards.

I will have some pictures for you over the next week as getting Eibach springs and Bilstein B8 shocks fitted. Watch out on eibach springs - as said you need a different spring cup up front (as with most springs) and the rear eibach springs are sometimes incorrect (sits way to low) but eibach replace free of charge. See my build thread in members rides for details on this.

I liked the eibach kit as it just drops the car 20-25mm so it looks more oem by today’s standards.

That would be great to see when it’s done, also be interested to know what the ride is like. I’ll check out your build thread for sure, cheers bud

Cressa

I have some Eibachs ready to fit on B4 shocks which are basically the same as the stock shocks, how are you finding the ride mate is it harsh or is out just a bit harder . Also seen comments on here saying the rear springs can be to low on a late VR6, how do you find them ?

Thanks.