seanl82

Help! I'm considering a French car!!!!

Yes it's true. I need some evidence as to why I shouldn't, so I'll explain. My daily commute is 172 miles, so I'll be putting 25-30k miles on a car each year. I need something newer, and as fuel is currently costing me about £400 per month in the Passat, coupled with £240 per year tax, it needs to be small and economical. I sit at 70 with the cruise control on for most of the journey, so it doesn't need to be big engined as most of the time I'm on the inside lane anyway! I have 15 mins of country roads though so nothing too wallowy. The amount of mileage I'll be doing means I don't want to spend a great deal so low mileage isn't a necessity (it'll depreciate before my eyes anyway) though the lower the better for obvious reasons. My budget is 4-5k, and probably diesel as it actually works in my favour due to the distances I'll be covering. Happy to be told otherwise though. All I can currently find that offers good value and great economy are; Pug 208, Citroen DS3, or Renault Clios. I'm looking at economy figures online though, so has anyone got any real world experience on economy please? It has to be comfortable, have DAB radio, AC, and cuise control - those are my only stipulations. Any help or advice appreciated!

My nephew has a 3 cylinder Tdi Ibiza and gets around 80 mpg real world

Get a Yaris Sean. Super reliable, economical and quite ok on the motorway. Plus really easy to work on.

I think a Yaris or Up may be a little too small to be comfortable on long drives...... I'm only 5.10" but I need to extend my legs a bit when driving.

I'll look into the Ibiza a bit more, and I've considered a Fabia and even a Mini One D. They just don't seem to offer as good value for money as the French stuff though

Sean,

I know I am biased but Mk1 Fabia VRS are very reliable, cheap to maintain , eat up the miles and can be mapped to around 180 bhp. I could average around 60 - 65 mpg on mt 17 mile commute.

Sean,

I know I am biased but Mk1 Fabia VRS are very reliable, cheap to maintain , eat up the miles and can be mapped to around 180 bhp. I could average around 60 - 65 mpg on mt 17 mile commute.

Its still going strong then Martin! I know what you're saying and I may well look at something a bit older. I'm not fussed about power though tbh, as I'm constantly trying to eek out an extra MPG! It would be nice to have a few mod cons though, and don't really want to have to worry about fixing things over the next 3 years. Thats all the car would be likely to last before it gets moved on due to the mileage and things needing replacing. The Passat had an awful lot of advisories at the last MOT, and though the plan was to replace bits here and there, I couldn't be arsed and it'll cost about 1k in parts to sort. Just seems like dead money considering its only worth that anyway.

Maybe not this colour combo, but this is what has drawn me so far.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201810071271899?make=RENAULT&postcode=ex168ag&sort=sponsored&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&price-to=6000&year-from=2013&radius=100&model=CLIO&fuel-type=Diesel&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

Edited by seanl82

Its still going strong then Martin! I know what you're saying and I may well look at something a bit older. I'm not fussed about power though tbh, as I'm constantly trying to eek out an extra MPG! It would be nice to have a few mod cons though, and don't really want to have to worry about fixing things over the next 3 years. Thats all the car would be likely to last before it gets moved on due to the mileage and things needing replacing. The Passat had an awful lot of advisories at the last MOT, and though the plan was to replace bits here and there, I couldn't be arsed and it'll cost about 1k in parts to sort. Just seems like dead money considering its only worth that anyway.

The map gave improved economy as well as extra power when I need it. Not that I am power obsessed, but it’s nice to have it when you need it. I have driven a few new french and German low powered so called eco cars as hire cars and they don’t return the economy you would necessarily expect. French cars are made of cheese

I've driven quite a few recently as well, though most have been Petrol and I'm not particularly worried about economy when I'm not paying for it! I was surprisingly impressed by the Suzuki Swift actually!

Don't do French.... its like driving something made out of bog roll and chewing gum after a Germanic motor... even the difference in the sound of the door closing is hugely different - one sounds like a well build heavy door the other sounds like fag paper... I even notice the difference between Ford and VW (sorry Ford fans) - but I used to work in a panel shop so tend to look at things.

I was going to say the same as Dox or VR6 South - the three pot Ibiza is pretty reasonable, a mate had one for ages doing long miles... as is the VRS - and definitely map for better MPG... you can just sit on the torque and keep the RPM down.

Actually I drove a Kia the other day.... that wasn't bad in all honesty....

Do not under any circumstances buy french, the build quality is so poor I would be worried about things falling off in a slight breeze. My wife had a clio dci sport thing she used to commute in and it was forever eating slave cylinders which helpfully is internal so gearbox out job and also blew a turbo by snapping the shaft completely in 2! as well as most of the interior coating peeling off and all the door seals tearing and just waving in the wind. Also, having driven it to Devon a few times, was the most uncomfortable thing I have ever had the mispleasure of being in.

We now have an A3 TDI which is good, quite comfy and handles well but on motorways isn't amazing on fuel, still good for a diesel but not how I expected.

The little ibiza's, lupo tdi/sdi apparently do bonkers mpg (70-80mpg), but couldn't tear the skin off custard.

If you want something a little older I cannot recommend E46 320d's enough, had mine about 5 years now, just hit 205k in it and it just never skips a beat *touch wood*. It's comfy, goes well and because it's an M sport looks good as well. Doesn't have DAB but can always add it. And because they were designed for rep's just eat the motorway miles

Thanks all so far. I think it's now a toss up between a Fabia, Ibiza, Mini One Cooper D, Fiesta, and the 208. They all have good and bad points - Fabia is a bit bland but a decent all rounder, Ibiza is basic in the way of mod cons but cheap, Mini, well, it's a bit of a hairdressers car and the most expensive out of the lot but is well put together. I find the interior of the Fiesta pretty hideous, but it's cheap to run and repair, and the 208 has poor build quality, but is the most stylish inside and out of the lot, and you get tons of extras on even the most basic models......

I've driven them all bar the Ibiza over the last few years but hard to make a comparison over such a long period. Think I'll have to test them all again.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with French motors.

They're no more unreliable than anything else I've ran. No extra rattles or squeaks.

They don't rust any more than anything else and bits don't drop off.

In fact I can say that in all honesty the least reliable cars I've ran have been German.

Don't believe the hype.

Because it's all about the absolute maximum in economy, so unfortunately sporty doesn't link in all that well. I have looked at Polos as well, but bang for buck I think the Ibiza but mostly the Fabia comes out on top of the VAG range

Don't let ultimate economy rule over ultimate running costs. EG modern VAG diesels have fragile EGR valves, DPFs can be an issue on low mileage as well as high mileage cars, then there's DMFs and clutches, turbos etc - any will give you a bill of around £800 with very poor access around the engine bay hampering DIYing.

All the above makes you current car look promising even with the £1000 of repairs needed for another 12 months motoring?

For me I'd be looking for a 1.9 TDi pre DPF diesel as everything is cheap and simple to repair

I have an older Renault and while pretty reliable the electrics are fragile and home repairs are frelling awkward. Access is difficult and most tasks take ages due to the location and access problems, not including mad construction techniques. Noticed a small leak from the rocker cover and discovered that the camshaft bearings are built into the cover meaning you have to remove the timing belt and from there on it just got worse. Garage cost would have been in the region of £550/£600. Other jobs are just as awkward, took me 20 minutes to find the starter motor. For it's age though it's pretty good on petrol.

Well I stopped off to have a look at a few on the way home today. Just sat it them and got a feel for how they are and comfort levels etc.

Mini is way too small. I'm 5.10" and even with that, the seat was right the way back and pretty much up against the rear seats. With 2 kids, even on the occasion that they'd be in, its a no. The Citroen is as mentioned, very poorly put together and felt very cheap and tacky. The Fabia was just dull. As much as its solid, the plain single colour dark grey plastic all over is just so bland. The seats aren't at all comfortable either. The Ibiza wasn't bad, though it was an FR so seats were a little more supportive than would be standard, but again I wasn't overly enamoured with it. And the 208 was better than I thought it would be. It wasn't the car for me (1.2 petrol) and although the plastic is a little thinner than that in the VAG range, the different shades of black and different textures, with plenty of options available and decent levels of comfort in the cab drew me. The only down side was I couldn't find the steering wheel reach/rake adjuster which I think I'd need to make the driving position correct for me. I'll be looking at one again, and also the Clio as they are similar in most respects. Unless you're looking at top spec cars in the VAG range, they just seem very basic in comparison.

I've taken in what everyone has said, but it'll be all motorway miles I'm doing and it only really needs to last for 3 years when I'll be on the cusp of finishing in my current career path.

Well, I've done it. I've put a deposit down on a 2015 Pug 308 1.6 BlueHDI. Should be picking it up within the next week but have to sort out storage for sale of the Passat (No space in the garage!) and wait for the wife to find a new car too so we can sort insurances out.

The quoted figures on it are phenomenal, so the small amount of finance I've got will be more than offset by the fuel saving alone (even if I only manage the urban figures on a run it still works out 60% better than the Passat). Free tax as well, and its really tidy. Drives great, 120bhp so plenty powerful for what I need, loads of toys and everything seems to work! The only thing I'm a little nervous about is the touch screen console, as it controls absolutely everything including the heaters! :eek:

Amongst the French manufacturers I've always preferred the Peugeots. They are actually very solid and reliable, much more so than vag in my experience. They just feel light, they are generally nimble and can take the abuse, don't worry about your choice.

Personally i might have gone with a petrol but that's just me.

Amongst the French manufacturers I've always preferred the Peugeots. They are actually very solid and reliable, much more so than vag in my experience. They just feel light, they are generally nimble and can take the abuse, don't worry about your choice.

Personally i might have gone with a petrol but that's just me.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I would have gone with petrol if it wasn't for the fact I'm doing 25 - 30k miles per year!

I think you've made the right choice out of the original selection (they were a bit small I thought). The 308 is a better size for your commute and should prove more economical than the Passat and without the worry of repairs looming as I guess you just want hassle free motoring.

The 1600 diesel also lives in small commerical vans covering massive miles and with your 25-30k it will be doing as it was designed. Hope all works out well!

I work as a technician in a Renault.Dacic,Nissan dealerships

Have a look at a Dicia stapaway 1.5 DCI ,Old school Renault £30 road tax do 70 plus on the motorway

It all depends on your view of a a Dacia.

Dacia, For those that don't like cars! haha.

I've already bought the 308 anyway mate, picking it up Saturday. Missus has also just chopped her BMW 118d for a 2014 1.6dci Qashqai NTEC+ which shes collecting tomorrow. Thats a nice car actually.