Erallus

Final drive flange into diff - availablity

Hey all, can't seem to find anywhere to get the following part : 02A409355A . Final drive flange that goes into the diff and the driveshaft on either side.

Any ideas ? Done a general internet search and on VW heritage .

Cheers

They’re usually on eBay, people use them to convert Mk4 platform gearboxes to mk2 / 3 / Corrado driveshafts.

Around £60 - £80 for a pair, either bolt on or push fit depending on gearbox etc

02A or 02M flanges?

I can't remember which one is which now.. getting old..

I think i may have a few of both types left over amoungst bits, let me know what type.

Okay so it's a 5 speed 02a gearbox . I'll check eBay again , as probably need a new one . Cheers for offer, will let you know how I get on

They’re usually on eBay, people use them to convert Mk4 platform gearboxes to mk2 / 3 / Corrado driveshafts.

Around £60 - £80 for a pair, either bolt on or push fit depending on gearbox etc

As an aside is the mk4 gearbox able to handle.more power than the 02a?

As an aside is the mk4 gearbox able to handle.more power than the 02a?

You'd have to ask someone like hotgolf for a definitive answer on that.

If you think about the circumference of the tyres of the MK4 compares to a C you'll soon realise the final drive doesn't really suit the C - 195 50 15 V 195 65 15 for the goof

Fla,

I only know this because I've been digging in the crates this morning. This should hold your answer:

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?17287-The-Forced-Induction-VR6-thread&p=503309&viewfull=1#post503309

EIP put 1000hp through a standard R32 O2M drivetrain (plus a clutch obviously) and it took it. For how long though, I don't know.

Considering the grip of 4WD, that's seriously impressive for factory parts.

Back in the day, they also put 500whp through a FWD VRT with the Gemini kit and that took it also, although FWD + road tyres + 500whp = spin city and therefore not so much strain on the transmission (until it regains grip that is!).

Having spoken to a few big power VRT folk, it seems the bottom line is the stock O2A box is OK with 350whp so long as your sensible and don't put it on the strip. 400whp is the outer limit and you're on borrowed time. It will generally only last 3 to 4 pulls on the strip at that level!

I know it's torque that breaks the gears etc, but it's just easier to say whp....but assume torque to be equal to the power, if not higher, as is often the case with turbo engines....although you can size the turbo, cams and timing etc to get it boosting higher up the revs.

I'm sure i've attached this before, but this particular 02A gearbox has seen plenty of strip action in an internationally renowned car :wink:

It finally gave up the ghost on the strip with 800whp going through it, but you'll notice the SQS gearset wasn't phased by it all.....rather the casing flexed and shattered instead

It laid down 800whp quite a few times prior, but at that level you just don't know when it will go twang.

The 02M casing is a lot more rigid and far less likley to do that, but who among us is going to be running 800whp on the public roads with 20" wide slicks?

02A or 02M flanges?

I can't remember which one is which now.. getting old..

I think i may have a few of both types left over amoungst bits, let me know what type.

May very well take you up on this, if that's okay. Ebay has turned up a bust. I'll try the stealers, but probably a waste of time.

I'm possibly jumping the gun, but read on this thread they may need changing, as I only have a limited window to work on my car, want all the required parts sat ready, just in case :D

Edited by Erallus

Does anyone know the part number for the dust cap that goes on the diff ? Can't seem to locate this . Or even a good supplier