Keyo

Black magic returns home

Two

Bloomin hell never new that, have seen them relating to Volvo as well off ebay.

Yeah I sold them over winter. I don't think they're particularly rare, kind of middle ground I think. The 16" in 5 stud are quite rare I reckon. More in 4 stud from the Polo 6n2, but though I've never really searched thats the first set of 16s in 5 stud that I've seen. The 17s do come up every so often on ebay though. They're RX 228 if you search for them.

These look the same as your Sean but with a different ET.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Astra-G-Mk4-EDITION-100-BBS-RX258-17-5-Stud-Alloy-Wheels-Alloys-Set/264182966715?hash=item3d828829bb:g:2UsAAOSwA3xcWrB1

Bloomin hell never new that, have seen them relating to Volvo as well off ebay.

The Vauxhall’s rims are 110 PCD so won’t fit.

Don't forget the centre bore either. Though you can get adaptor rings if they're bigger, standard is 57.1. you'd have to get them bored out if smaller.

Did the crappy job of door membranes today.

All I needed to do the job was some

15 meters of double sided butyl tape.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOUBLE-SIDED-WATERPROOF-MEMBRANE-JOINTING-BUTYL-TAPE-DPM-VARIOUS-WIDTHS/182833094846?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=690136424080&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

1 per door sheet membrane

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-door-membrane-protects-from-damp/253356930907?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Heat gunned the old butyl off then applied new membrane using the old membrane as a template. Used WD40 electric contact spray on all connections whilst in that area.

Before

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97185[/ATTACH]

After

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97186[/ATTACH]

Happy with outcome !

Just has to replace one of the speaker connectors .

Before you refit the door card have you checked the window rollers?

Before you refit the door card have you checked the window rollers?

Of course I didn't as there was bound to be something I missed ha ! How do you check them , do you have to lower the window and inspect the rollers in the track ?

Cheers

The white nylon rollers (2 per side) run in a horizontal track at the bottom of the doors, one of mine on the drivers door (so used most) was in poor condition and falling out of the channel leaving the glass banging around in the door.

Thanks Dox, my driver side glass does shake when half way down and you can move it a little from side to side , is this the rollers causing this.

Looked at that thread but can't see how you change them, is it a big job?

I actually have 4 new rollers as spare at home.

Cheers.

Thanks Dox, my driver side glass does shake when half way down and you can move it a little from side to side , is this the rollers causing this.

Looked at that thread but can't see how you change them, is it a big job?

I actually have 4 new rollers as spare at home.

Cheers.

Its been a long time since I did mine, the hardest thing was finding the door card screws I seem to remember. Rattling glass is a sign the rollers are worn / dropping out of the channel

Thanks somone showed me how to remove the doors cards a few weeks ago so can get them off in under 5 minutes .

Does the whole window aperture have to be taken out of the door to replace them or can you just pop them off when they are in the horizontal track at the bottom of the door? Can you inspect the door rollers visually by lowering the window when the door card is off by looking at the horizontal strip at the bottom of the door.

Cheers.

I think I levered the ball joint out of the roller, slid the roller along the channel and out. Rolled the new roller down the channel and used pump pliers to press the ball into the new roller, then repeat. Save the best till last and it will hold the regulator in place whilst you work on the other.

I think I levered the ball joint out of the roller, slid the roller along the channel and out. Rolled the new roller down the channel and used pump pliers to press the ball into the new roller, then repeat. Save the best till last and it will hold the regulator in place whilst you work on the other.

Ok thanks Dox think I will leave it be for the time been.

Cheers.

The rollers might not fix a loose window, but are a wise check and easily replaced. Clean and grease the rails as well if you can.

There is a rectangular metal runner/guide bracket on the B pillar side of the window mech that is supposed to be bonded to the bottom of the glass and runs up and down a vertical rail as the window opens and closes - if the glass was ever replaced following a break in then it's possible that this was not bonded back on as it just sits at the bottom of the rail - this will cause a lot of rattling and a loose window.

It's easy enough to locate if you but your hand behind the skin on the right, locate the rail, and check bottom (loose) or top (attached to glass).

Some have just fixed it in place at the bottom of the rail, as it's well out of the way, just to fix rattling, but the secure the glass properly it need to be bonded back on.

Edited by fendervg

The rollers might not fit a loose window, but are a wise check and easily replaced. Clean and grease the rails as well if you can.

There is a rectangular metal runner/guide bracket on the B pillar side of the window mech that is supposed to be bonded to the glass and runs up and down a vertical rail as the window opens and closes - if the glass was ever replaced following a break in then it's possible that this was not bonded back on as it just sits at the bottom of the rail - this will cause a lot of rattling and a loose window.

It's easy enough to locate if you but your hand behind the skin on the right, locate the rail, and check bottom (loose) or top (attached to glass).

Some have just fixed it in place at the bottom of the rail, as it's well out of the way, just to fix rattling, but the secure the glass properly it need to be bonded back on.

Thank Fen I'll keep that in mind in the future but I can't bring myself to peel off the membrane now it has been newly fitted. One thing I was thinking is some waterproof treatment to the bottom of the internal door as this looks like a very damp area and prone to erosion.

Update.

Car back form Stealth , she is running like a beast I'm glad to report and I have extended the ASBO on her.

Had a new printed circuit with housing fitted as MFA display was starting to fail, part number 525 919 042, Cost £223 but it use to retail for just under £600 from VW , it includes the brains , MFA and clock etc. Surely if your in long term ownership it's worth getting one of these whilst still available as a spare. I kept my old one as a spare as it was just the MFA last digit that was starting to play up and only half displaying.

It's so clear to read and now I have the lowest mileage Rado in the country wink wink :shrug:

Number 3 on diagram

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/catalog/vw/markt/RDW/modell/COR/year/1995/drive_standart/76/hg_ug/919/subcategory/211010/part_id/0/lang/e#sec_3.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97275[/ATTACH]

Also got the VDO Pump and sender fitted

V belt Continental

Hella Oil cooler

Every clamp changed on the hoses to updated VW clamps so no nasty rusty ones shaming the engine bay. (going to get the old clamps powder coated as spares as not cheap to buy !)

Coolant Hose which was really good quality 119 121 0068 MEYLE Radiator hose fit VW

Bosch Aux water pump and Gurven alloy aux water pump bracket.

Had the drivers window clip /guide fitted to stop the awful window rattle/shake

Last job now body shop ! Ouch

Pfsht I saw your car at Stealth , nice motor mate.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97276[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97277[/ATTACH]

Edited by Keyo

hey keyo thats what i call dedication to getting a car as good as new

i am sure your wallet is empty at the moment!!

mine just failed its mot today - cant believe it

failed on brake imbalance on the rear - nearside handbrake - something tells me i have fitted mk2 golf handbrake cable and iam

going to change the caliper as well. i fitted new mk3 rear calipers during its rebuild

Hi Geri,

Sorry to hear that chap , these MOT testers are like little Hitlers these days it's almost like you get anxiety taking your car for a MOT !

Hopefully not to much work for you to get her passed mate.

Yes feeling like I have spent far to much but it's a car I'm keeping long term , want the a MK2 16V to keep her company to.

My dream three car collection would be a Rado, Mk2 golf 16V and a 964 in red but these are an absolute rip off at 50k !!!

Ive seen a Rado for 21k on ebay that has done only 42k miles and had some recent work done but I would say my car has had more new parts , this just shows do not get obsessed with mileage folks as a car is all about condition and the one with the high mileage could well be the bargain of the century.

Edited by Keyo

Cheers Keyo. Shame I didn't get to see yours - fantastic attention to getting it tip too. I've got a couple more weeks left to go.

I have some pictures to update my thread shortly. Did Vince show you the state of my tensioner - it was a mess and sure to fail anytime.

Mine needs bodywork too. Looks alright from a few paces away and in photos sort of thing. Oh and a new drivers seat (Ben on here has sorted me out)

Fair play for sorting the seat out.

He didn't chap but he was quite busy at the time, I bet you was almost glad that the tensioner was mashed as it justified your commission, your instincts were correct.

Bet you can't wait to pick her up she should pull pretty hard now.

Indeed I was and I felt pleased i could report it back to the wife as disaster avoided.

I would equally like a mk2 golf and a 964 too! I've also got a thing for classic saab 900 turbo's at the moment too..

Love the old classic 900 Turbo. I remember when I was working away at Sandringham Palace erecting some handrails dummied into the ground for a country fair in about 91 , one of Prince Phillips low level relatives was driving round the fields in one and I said nice motor mate and he pulled over and showed me round the car, best interior in the world !!! Also can't quite remember but I was asked to keep watch over a horse that was in the back of horse truck, it so goes that horse was an old Red Rum himself that was attending the show as a bit of a star!

Edited by Keyo

I have a very late front grill , after speaking to Vince he explained to me that the very late grills (last year or so) only have one opening to Chanel air into the radiator . I have now ordered a late style grill to help cool the radiator which has three opening vents. The reason they blocked the grills was to help with emissions apparently but crap for cooling.

Run out grills blocked

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97280[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97281[/ATTACH]

Delfinis.

I;m not sure how it effects emissions, unless more air in the engine bay causes drag creating less mpg , god knows.