Keyo

Black magic returns home

19 minutes ago, Cressa said:

Damn. I dont see how there is any space without taking the front end off. 

Yes mate that is what Im thinking would be a front bumper off. Should of done a couple of weeks back-.

Just purchased this Hella Behr - although is now officially Mahle as they purchased Hella refrigeration in 2019. 

Not a bad price was showing £130 on autdoc + B and B components and also showing out of stock so thought I would grab one before they become obsolete like the radiators. 

I don't want to risk the plug popping off - we all now what happens if a fan dont come on in congested traffic on a hot summers day. 

£76.00 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mahle-8EW-009-144-541-FAN-RADIATOR-FITS-VW-POLO-6N1-GENUINE-WHOLESALE-PRICE/153125316096?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Edited by Keyo

18 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Just purchased this Hella Behr - although is now officially Mahle as they purchased Hella refrigeration in 2019. 

Not a bad price was showing £130 on autdoc + B and B components and also showing out of stock so thought I would grab one before they become obsolete like the radiators. 

I don't want to risk the plug popping off - we all now what happens if a fan dont come on in congested traffic on a hot summers day. 

£76.00 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mahle-8EW-009-144-541-FAN-RADIATOR-FITS-VW-POLO-6N1-GENUINE-WHOLESALE-PRICE/153125316096?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Pretty sure that’s a two  stage fan unit. Also pretty sure clips are on the wiring. I’ll go in the loft in a min and check for you and it’s front end off or scratch your manifold etc

I think if you remove the top slam panel bolts you can get access to the fan housing bolts. Just tilt the towards you for some clearance.

Tbh its been ages since i took the front end off so i might be wrong

2 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Pretty sure that’s a two  stage fan unit. Also pretty sure clips are on the wiring. I’ll go in the loft in a min and check for you and it’s front end off or scratch your manifold etc

Ok thanks there are clips on the plug but they are good which house onto locating tabs on the fan I believe which looked snapped on the photos on mine . 

10 minutes ago, fla said:

I think if you remove the top slam panel bolts you can get access to the fan housing bolts. Just tilt the towards you for some clearance.

Tbh its been ages since i took the front end off so i might be wrong

Thanks Fla and Shaun- Im concerned now my car fan unit has the wrong fan unit- has anyone got a picture of an S chassis fan or a storm of the radiator fan part number- very confusing on etka. Different size fans etc and age related. 

Cheers. 

Looking at the rated power spec on Hella has 450/ 250/80 does that mine stage 3. 

Description below on photos and etka cant see a fan J on the end though just L - but has same ratings as the Hella.  

h1.jpg

fannn.jpg

Edited by Keyo

13 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Looking at the rated power spec on Hella has 450/ 250/80 does that mine stage 3. 

Description below on photos and etka cant see a fan J on the end though just L - but has same ratings as the Hella.  

h1.jpg

fannn.jpg

I’ve been looking and it does list 3 different powers as you say and a few say it cross references your fan part number but I can’t he my head around the plug only having 3 pins on the drawing, unless it means 3 power pins and one earth. I looked into this as was worried running a 30 year old fan on a turbo set up as it comes on more often, I gave up in the end. 
From what I can read about it you should be good Keyo, you are correct in it is your fan plastic they have broken so I suppose you don’t have much choice but to roll the dice. 
good luck with it mate, it’s a good find if it works out 👍

Here is mine ending with J on another etka platform - Im noticing 7 zap etka has many parts missing off their platform so be carful using it. 

One observation is stage 3 power is 350 ending with J but on the Hella they give you the uprated power of the ABV with power 450 which is good I guess. You can still get the ABV ending with L from classics for ABV but is £360 nippers - maybe this one is for tow and aircom with but more top power - although as mentioned Hella are giving this on their unit.  

fan3.jpg

Edited by Keyo

To add the other belt driven fan is still available from classics for £160.00 - im feeling to poor to buy that - aftermarket is very thin on the ground with every option showing out of stock . 

Im hoping the plug and pins are the same on the hella fan mate. Can see the lugs on your plug that should be on mine. The onlt difference I can see is setting 3 on the Hella has 450 and the stock motor ending with J is 350 . 

If it only has three pins could it just still work the same I wonder? 

Edited by Keyo

Why not just replace with some slimline fans? I made a new harness to use the original loom connector. I can send some pics of the harness if you need.

Hasan

Thanks for the offer Fla but payed for all the parts now- do agree with you slimline is a good upgrade for sure. 

2 hours ago, Keyo said:

Thanks for the offer Fla but payed for all the parts now- do agree with you slimline is a good upgrade for sure. 

I've seen Shaun's upgrade of the fans, like a bloody jet engine.  Must add an extra 30hp pulling the car forward by sucking the air In. Warning...Never stand in front of a Corrado that has those fitted 🤣

On 12/31/2020 at 10:59 AM, Keyo said:

To add the other belt driven fan is still available from classics for £160.00 - im feeling to poor to buy that - aftermarket is very thin on the ground with every option showing out of stock . 

Too poor 🤣🤣 I'm not surprised since buying those audioscope pods 🤪 

43 minutes ago, Cressa said:

Too poor 🤣🤣 I'm not surprised since buying those audioscope pods 🤪 

January blues  😂 

Edited by Keyo

Managed to comlpete my votex set up. 

What I learnt on the way. 

VDO Dials cost each  £30 - £34.00 from Merlin Motorsports , they come with green and red diffuser caps to illuminate green - you can buy plugs and connectors  for the back of the clocks to tidy them up for a couple of quid- had to send the analogue time clock back I purchased originally as has a different design build and you cant change illumination to green just the factory white. Its not worth buying second hand clocks they seem to sell for a £100- £200 a set for 30 year old clocks from an Audi or VAG by new its cheaper and of course 30 years younger. 

Gauge and switch trims I purchased from a very skilled seller from Eastern European - I think this guy could make the Corrado gauge pods with no issues. 

Sensors are M10 x 1 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-Votex-power-window-switch-holder-VW-Jetta-Golf-MK2-GTI-G60-GTD-16V/184177767564?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

votex.jpg

Edited by Keyo

Few pics of recent underseal from special pollution tarpits of the Industrial backwash of Birmingham .  The tarpit solution was really 

3M car body schutz then a coat of waxoyl  

•  

cr1.jpg

cr2.jpg

cr3.jpg

cr4.jpg

cr5.jpg

cr6.jpg

cr7.jpg

cr9.jpg

Edited by Keyo

Wow! Just prepping it would have taken some time .

It'll also provide some soundproofing too.

1 minute ago, fla said:

Wow! Just prepping it would have taken some time .

It'll also provide some soundproofing too.

Hadnt thought about that chap that is a Brucie Bonus. 

Well I would say it's a wise investment mate! And like Hasan said, it will provide some kind of dampening grom the road noise too. Back east with hatch winters and salted road, I used to do that to my cars too. Cheers! 

Guys I got the new Hella Rad fan today- tell me if this is abad or good idea please. 

Unplug the loom plug out of fan and plug into new fan not installed to test- but how can I hold the fan safely without chopping fingers off- want to start car and see if it comes on when it should. Obviously dont want to overheat the car either as installed fan will not cool facing radiator as will be redundant . I will turn ignition off as soon as rad comes on- I will need two people I guess. I do have an old fan shroud maybe pop it in there  and hold corners of shroud flat on engine bay ? ?

Thanks 

Edited by Keyo

2 hours ago, Keyo said:

Guys I got the new Hella Rad fan today- tell me if this is abad or good idea please. 

Unplug the loom plug out of fan and plug into new fan not installed to test- but how can I hold the fan safely without chopping fingers off- want to start car and see if it comes on when it should. Obviously dont want to overheat the car either as installed fan will not cool facing radiator as will be redundant . I will turn ignition off as soon as rad comes on- I will need two people I guess. I do have an old fan shroud maybe pop it in there  and hold corners of shroud flat on engine bay ? ?

Thanks 

Put a pick up of the plug on the back of it mate