Keyo

What 80's - 90s cars for sale have caught your eye recently.

944 outlaws on fb has people fitting turbo VR6s, chevy LSs 1.8ts etc

Edited by Dox

E46 M3 have always been tempted but I have heard some nightmare ownership reviews - the vanos and rear mount subframes crack are very common.  Think Shaun owned one for a couple oy years and it nearly bankrupted him. 

Edited by Keyo

I had a convertible M3 with a removable hard top back in the day, it cost an absolute fortune to run and insure. As mentioned the vanos unit needed replacing. But it was a thrill with its vvt and 8k Rev limit, alot happier in my turbo Corrado though, I don’t miss it. 

34 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

I had a convertible M3 with a removable hard top back in the day, it cost an absolute fortune to run and insure. As mentioned the vanos unit needed replacing. But it was a thrill with its vvt and 8k Rev limit, alot happier in my turbo Corrado though, I don’t miss it. 

It wouldnt be to bad if you could get one off a good owner that had carried all these works out recently- I love them in dark blue with a matching blue hood- very classy with some serious poke. 

1 hour ago, Keyo said:

It wouldnt be to bad if you could get one off a good owner that had carried all these works out recently- I love them in dark blue with a matching blue hood- very classy with some serious poke. 

Estoril blue mine was with black leather and dark blue hood, looked the nuts. 

4 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Estoril blue mine was with black leather and dark blue hood, looked the nuts. 

Think I know that colour the E36 m3 evo might of come int. 

Loving this USA G60 17500 miles. 

Edited by Keyo

4 minutes ago, pfnsht said:

Ouch indeed but 20 wheel and tyre packages - almost enough for something different every day of the month!

Makes you wonder what wheels they have ha. 

If you ever needed evidence the prices are rising- at over 6K all ready at auction- advertised as great file of work but looks barely touched to me compared to other members cars on here and also  no evidence of engine work or chains- the only thing they have is a clutch 5 years ago ha so scratching the barrel there ! Also high miler with 200K and no rare parts on it.  Has a flipping golf gear knob and a kilt as a gaiter- none original sunroof-  missing OE air box -riced out parcel shelf- rust on the arches and underbody- sills- tailgate - doors- elephant trunk hanging inside the front grill- bonnet foam dropping off- prehistoric bronze age petrol tanks straps that have been registered with national treasure committee-   and that is just what I can see.  

Ends 15 July. 

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/auctions/1995-volkswagen-corrado-vr6-w8eQ8x

Edited by Keyo

24 minutes ago, Keyo said:

If you ever needed evidence the prices are rising- at over 6K all ready at auction- advertised as great file of work but looks barely touched to me compared to other members cars on here and also  no evidence of engine work or chains- the only thing they have is a clutch 5 years ago ha so scratching the barrel there ! Also high miler with 200K and no rare parts on it.  Has a flipping golf gear knob and a kilt as a gaiter- none original sunroof-  missing OE air box -riced out parcel shelf- rust on the arches and underbody- sills- tailgate - doors- elephant trunk hanging inside the front grill- bonnet foam dropping off- prehistoric bronze age petrol tanks straps that have been registered with national treasure committee-   and that is just what I can see.  

Ends 15 July. 

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/auctions/1995-volkswagen-corrado-vr6-w8eQ8x

Auctions are littered with dodgy dealers often bidding on each others stuff to make the reserve (the reserve being what the seller "thinks" its worth). Most of us have done it on ebay too - its a learning curve (that's my excuse anyway).

Live auctions are just as bad as online, but the risk is higher of a false sale. I used to watch one trader sweating washing shitty old Jags at BCA Manchester only to bid on the cars himself week after week, sometimes he was lucky and didn't buy the cars himself.... - shill bidding is not illegal to the point of the reserve

Any one here think this particular car is a £6K buy?

I know historically we talk down the prices, but would that car make £6K advertised here?

Its a hard one as my car was advertised with a Schrick VGi  a few years back with less mileage and I knocked some serious figures off (rubbing of the chin and sighing helped ) knowing what money-time-effort goes into a restoration. However I wouldn't be surprised if you purchased this car that you could enjoy it for a couple of years and sell it on for the same price-  although that rust could get a hell of a lot worse over the next couple of years. Maybe we need to put ourselves in a present day buyer's shoes to be realistic what 6K can get these days. 

The car plays a few tricks by having the a newish VR6 red decal- new grill and the fogs which could be a mess covered by yellow protection decal - also has black leather so it can easily catch as seller out with buyer envy - the car photographs well from the front. 

Would I buy it for 6K - no absolutely not would have to be half that price - but maybe that is not possible anymore unless you had a bit of luck. 

These cars are been propped up by restored cars no doubt about it. 

Edited by Keyo

Whaaat that's pretty high already. Most people run for the hills with high miles (not me though). As for being worth 6k I'm going to err on the side of caution and wouldn't put my money there. It isn't the milegae that puts me off it's the following items

-rusty wing and bootlid

-underside doesn't look like it has had any attention so will need some tlc. We can't see the sill around the front jacking point.

-too many barry mods - ram air, sticker, green HT leads.

-no evidence of chains being sorted

-the presented service history stopped 15 years ago. If it was home serviced that is fine but it would make sense to present that.

oh and edit to add - paint flake around the front suspension turrets must be an engine out job to sort properly before they rust.

And I like how the glass roof is described as a rare part. Basically the original broke so it was changed out and if you were to use the tin roof with that mech installed you'd have to manually pull back and close the interior blind. 

10 minutes ago, pfnsht said:

And I like how the glass roof is described as a rare part. Basically the original broke so it was changed out and if you were to use the tin roof with that mech installed you'd have to manually pull back and close the interior blind. 

Yeah I've seen that one used before 😂

But seriously chaps if you have a well sorted car and spent a lot of time and money on her don't be daft if your selling and give it away for a song. 

Also to add to the negatives the shiny red decal is a fake MK3 one Sorry Im a f....er but cant help it 😂

Edited by Keyo

Anyone remember the renault 19 16V hatchback - looked great in the dark blue and black leather. Have not seen one for sale for a year so must be rare as hens teeth now. 

renault.jpg

4 hours ago, Keyo said:

Anyone remember the renault 19 16V hatchback - looked great in the dark blue and black leather. Have not seen one for sale for a year so must be rare as hens teeth now. 

renault.jpg

I did like the William's Clio of that era, but thought it was French so would never buy one 😂

Haha, but the Renault 5 turbo was awesome too. Possibly the only one I really hankered after. I liked the Rocco at the time, but always thought it was a bit grown up for me! Lol. The one I wanted mostly (please don't judge me!) was the MK2 Astra GTE. Think it was the Digi dials that had me! Lol.

yes i remember these cars - did the renault 16v have a bonnet scoop?? these were very quick cars in their day but i did not like the dash at the time. like all hot hatches as they became cheap they were thrashed to death and now all previous owners would like to own one again. seen one advertised a while back as a resto project but it needed serious body work and i would assume body panels are hard to find for these cars

9 hours ago, seanl82 said:

Haha, but the Renault 5 turbo was awesome too. Possibly the only one I really hankered after. I liked the Rocco at the time, but always thought it was a bit grown up for me! Lol. The one I wanted mostly (please don't judge me!) was the MK2 Astra GTE. Think it was the Digi dials that had me! Lol.

astra gte - i had a mk1 in the early 90's - a very good car which i thought had a brilliant driving position - felt like you were sitting on the ground. The throttle response was fantastic due to it being a very early system compared to a mk2 golf digifant. Rust was taking a serious hold of it and it had to go

Ahh yes I remember those Renault 19s. It was quite a rare car when I was starting to drive (2000). I didn't get to have a go in one but a friend had a Clio 1.8 16v which went well and sounded nice. I'm not sure why I didn't get into French cars as they were light, nimble in the corners and sounded nice. Much like what attracts me to older VWs now modern cars are so oversized.

I had Vauxhalls as my first cars, don't laugh, but 3 Corsas in succession. I started off with a new 1.0 because I got free insurance, then an older raw 1.4 SRI 16v with no PAS or electric windows and then a 1.6 16v which was slower than the 1.4 and rubbish compared to my mates saxo vts & pug 106 GTI. I kept buying them as I worked on them myself and knew my way around them. Like Sean says above I lusted after a mk2 Astra GTE and the digi dials but couldn't justify an older car back (oh how times have changed) and tried instead to buy an Astra mk3 GSI but ended up with a Cavalier 2.5 V6 as the insurance was cheaper. I still have a soft spot for Carltons and Senators, my Dad had a couple.