Keyo

Aftermarket parts that have failed prematurely or faulty

Thought I would start this thread so I can share which aftermarket parts have failed on my car that were relatively new and other members can add on. Please note that it is possible I was unlucky and got a bad egg out of the factory. These parts were professionally fitted.

Topran oil cooler.

Noticed oil in the top of the coolant reservoir after 2 months of been fitted. Was really worried it was the head gasket, after chatting to Vince at stealth he insured me in all his career that he had only seen one blown head gasket that had caused oil in the coolant in a VR6, there was no coolant in the oil if that makes sense. After taking the Topran cooler off and testing it with air pressure in a bucket of water bubbles starting popping out , cooler had failed after 800 miles . Had to flush the coolant system and Install a new cooler a right pain!. This time I went with a Hella cooler and no problem since. Coolant is now clean as a whistle.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HELLA-OEM-Quality-Oil-Cooler-Seal-for-VW-Mk2-Mk3-GTI-16V-T25-T4-068117021B/401070088013?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

New JP GROUP Air Mass Flow Sensor 1193902400

Caused a fault code 00561 mixture adaption , fault code came shortly after installation, car ran rich with poor MPG. Bosch OE Mass sensor cured the problem immediately.

Edited by Keyo

Topran are rubbish, nothing but cheap copies with inferior materials and dodgy tolerances - like most things you get what you pay for when it comes to parts.

It's why Bosch, Hella, VDO, ATE etc, stuff is expensive unfortunately and becoming harder to get.

I've been burned in the past with radiators, heater cores and oil coolers (not on the Corrado, but on Mk2 Golfs) bought from discount European car retailers and had them fail either immediately or within a couple of weeks and had to replace with OEM VAG or equivalent parts from OE suppliers.

The problem for us Corrado owners now is that the quality parts are getting scarce and it looks like we will just be left with the rubbish ones.

Topran are rubbish, nothing but cheap copies with inferior materials and dodgy tolerances - like most things you get what you pay for when it comes to parts.

It's why Bosch, Hella, VDO, ATE etc, stuff is expensive unfortunately and becoming harder to get.

I've been burned in the past with radiators, heater cores and oil coolers (not on the Corrado, but on Mk2 Golfs) bought from discount European car retailers and had them fail either immediately or within a couple of weeks and had to replace with OEM VAG or equivalent parts from OE suppliers.

The problem for us Corrado owners now is that the quality parts are getting scarce and it looks like we will just be left with the rubbish ones.

Thankfully it is the only Topran part I have purchased and wont be giving them another go that's for sure, think I only purchased it as it came with some Meyle hoses and O rings as a kit and couldn't be bothered to source the parts individually .

circoli thermostat , failed from new

hella temp sender faulty from new

intermotor temp sender faulty from new

think topran /meyle fool a few people with the badging ...packed in germany but the parts are from wherever , mixed bag try and avoid if possible

idealy unless in a pinch the parts need to have a known brand on them or a used genuine is better than a china special

Edited by steveo29

circoli thermostat , failed from new

hella temp sender faulty from new

intermotor temp sender faulty from new

think topran /meyle fool a few people with the badging ...packed in germany but the parts are from wherever , mixed bag try and avoid if possible

idealy unless in a pinch the parts need to have a known brand on them or a used genuine is better than a china special

I think one of the problems is that most aftermarket parts are going towards manufacturing their parts in China all at the same factory and getting their own brand stamped on the part. Disappointed to hear the Hella temp sender failed would expect better off them. If I have to get an aftermarket part Lemforder is top on my list but parts are thin on the ground now for the Corrado, secondly I will go for Hella, then Febi Bilstein all though I wouldn't be surprised if they manufacture in China now.

Edited by Keyo

I think one of the problems is that most aftermarket parts are going towards manufacturing their parts in China all at the same factory and getting their own brand stamped on the part. Disappointed to hear the Hella temp sender failed would expect better off them. If I have to get an aftermarket part Lemforder is top on my list but parts are thin on the ground now for the Corrado, secondly I will go for Hella, then Febi Bilstein all though I wouldn't be surprised if they manufacture in China now.

Even vw use china to manufacture parts - i got a new fuel filter from my local vw dealer paying the vw premium came in a vw box opened it only to find a made in china stamped on it!

Apple products are all made in China, not everything from there is bad

Apple products are all made in China, not everything from there is bad

yes its true - i think it all comes down to quality control

Practically everything is now made in China (possibly assembled elsewhere) - thing is you get what you pay for with the factory and the manufacturing process, and this is reflected in the final retail prioe. A Chinese manufacturer will offer to make the part at a few different price points and levels and although they may look the same they will vary in quality dependent on the price - one thing is for sure, they will not turn business away - so if you ask for e.g. a MAF for 20 quid, it will still get made at that price point, but you'd be taking your chances.

So made in China is not necessarily a bad thing at all if it's at the correct price and quality level - the problem is how to ascertains this, and some will rip you off by selling you low grade components at premium prices.

Fender you're absolutely right - the blame for poor quality is absolutely with corporate buyers. They'll pay £2 for a £100 item which means they'll sell you just that. They're happy because they've "saved" a huge amount and will still sell at the existing market price. Procurement is now totally price focussed as opposed to cost- and quality- focussed

Edited by fla

yeah was disapointed with the hella

anyone else notice how rubber stuff doesnt last now , had ball joint and rocker cover gaskets fail /perish before fitting lol

im going to stock pile any quality parts i can find for future use, it will only get worse

Non mechanical parts are not that great either. I fitted new roof tails and the plastic covers a few years back . The roof rubber is split , the caps are now grey instead of black . I also purchased a brand new splitter two years ago , it now looks as old as the car . These are OEM parts not after market. Nothing seems to last nowadays.