ChrisL

Moonlight Blue VR6

11 minutes ago, MJA said:

What are you guys using for the cleaning process? I've use a steam cleaner but not too much around the drain holes as don't want too much moisture in places it shouldn't go. Wondering if there is an "easier" way.

I used petrol & a neat degreaser with a nail brush and a ton of rags. I know the petrol isn't the safest option and make sure you use it in a well ventilated area with limited time doing it in between breaks, but it worked really well. You could use thinners as an alternative, but I was initially mindful of removing the factory overspray. Wouldn't have mattered in the end as I painted the entire underside anyway. 🙄

I use Bilt Hamber all purpose cleaner (amazing stuff), a toothbrush and loads of rags then finish with white spirit.

16 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I use Bilt Hamber all purpose cleaner (amazing stuff), a toothbrush and loads of rags then finish with white spirit.

I love Bolt Hamber products, Surfex HD I presume? One of my go to's as well. cracking stuff! 👍

Edited by seanl82

13 minutes ago, seanl82 said:

I love Bolt Hamber products, Surfex HD I presume? One of my go to's as well. cracking stuff! 👍

Yes that’s the stuff. Supposed to be used really diluted but I use it nearly neat.

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Yes that’s the stuff. Supposed to be used really diluted but I use it nearly neat.

Yeah it great. I've got it as well as the clay bar, korrosol, autowash, and double speed wax as part of my cleaning gear.

I like their products too - I have their Autowiz wheel clearer and use their hydrate 80 rust converter and the Gel stuff - all great products. I've not tried anything else but will make a point to try when I run out of other products.

Not done anything on the Corrado for a while but finally got one floor pan cleaned. Just the drivers side to finish now.

EE2D652E-35F4-4B85-AE7C-E0FD395DAA17.jpeg

C3A4DC54-3691-4A92-85A8-6E5A957DCD6E.jpeg

F6F7B6BA-43E3-4B80-8966-EAF8FFA00222.jpeg

what a transformation!  How high does the car need to be to do this comfortably?  I have some height adjustable ramps but i'd likely end up dropping all the road grime in my eyes and ears! Looks like the sort of thing that would need  4 poster?

26 minutes ago, fla said:

what a transformation!  How high does the car need to be to do this comfortably?  I have some height adjustable ramps but i'd likely end up dropping all the road grime in my eyes and ears! Looks like the sort of thing that would need  4 poster?

If you look in my earlier post you can see how high the car is. It’s not that high and I can just squeeze under. You have to work to the side of you so it doesn’t fall in your face 🤣

Looking good Chris. It's a very long and tedious job which you'll know, but the results speak for themselves. I had a standard set of axle stands one notch from the bottom (second highest) when I did mine - had to have at least one safety mechanism in place! Lol. Spent about 40 hours in total cleaning it all with a nail and toothbrush, though it was pretty grim to begin with!

That looks great, its a real pain of a job. I can see why it took 40 hours. I am in the progress of doing mine. So far i have had the most success with a citruis based cleaner liquid. What did you use to get thoses results? apart from plenty of elbow grease....

5 hours ago, Wild-Animal said:

That looks great, its a real pain of a job. I can see why it took 40 hours. I am in the progress of doing mine. So far i have had the most success with a citruis based cleaner liquid. What did you use to get thoses results? apart from plenty of elbow grease....

Thanks, I used a toothbrush with bilthamber Surfex HD and also white spirit.

have plenty of rags on hand too.

I did it once to get As much off as possible then went back over it with a clean toothbrush to finish.

It never gets old looking at these parts refreshed and renewed. It just looks so much better and you know after all the hard work you shouldn’t be going back to them very often, just light fettling and cleaning after all that. 

Wow that looks nice, but then again your reputation in revamping corrados is well established, Chris. Metallic shocks are a nice and unique touch too.

Hasan

12 hours ago, fla said:

Wow that looks nice, but then again your reputation in revamping corrados is well established, Chris. Metallic shocks are a nice and unique touch too.

Hasan

Cheers thanks. Shocks are KW coilovers which are stainless steel I believe 👍

Great result. How long did that take from start to finish?

Btw, do your indicators flash orange? I used some high powered orange leds in mine and they're very borderline. Mine are also tinted red.

Cheers thanks.

not really sure how long as I’ve done little bits over a period of time. Realistically, it didn’t take that long I guess.

not sure on the indicators actually.

Amazing job Chris!  I’m planning a similar job next spring, so really appreciate you sharing the pictures.  I also have a Supersprint exhaust on order so would be interested in your thoughts on fit and tone, but it does look great quality.