Motoriousss

Corrado Storm query

Hey everyone

Looking to buy my first VR6:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/389717998400288

However, not sure what to look out for on its underside as its my first "classic"

Also its MOT history isn't encouraging. Please take a look and let me know!

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

N646 OYU

And finally does the engine sound normal?

[video=youtube_share;JFNl0OOoYVk]

Any help would be appreciated!

Both ends of the sills having looked at the mot history, you have to remove the front wing to fix the front of the sills and not sure if you can still get the repair panel either. Also they’ve pulled blue smoke on acceleration which to me could be ovaling of piston bores, shot rings or valve stem seals or combination of them, head off. The vr6 is a bit noisy in general the chains can slap about if they or the tensioner is worn. Go through the receipt for the engine work and see what was replaced, if it wasn’t rebored it may need it now.

Both ends of the sills having looked at the mot history, you have to remove the front wing to fix the front of the sills and not sure if you can still get the repair panel either. Also they’ve pulled blue smoke on acceleration which to me could be ovaling of piston bores, shot rings or valve stem seals or combination of them, head off. The vr6 is a bit noisy in general the chains can slap about if they or the tensioner is worn. Go through the receipt for the engine work and see what was replaced, if it wasn’t rebored it may need it now.

It was rear sills which were repaired for mot twice but rotted again 2 years later. Needs to be properly repaired and a full respray.

Stealth rebuilt the engine with a rebored bottom end.

6k is a joke really but if that's what they are asking up to them I've washed my hands with it.

• Nearside Rear wheel bearing has slight play (2.6.2)
  • Offside Rear wheel bearing has slight play (2.6.2)

Nearly every MOT I've had this. The rear wheels have passive rear steering. They're supposed to have "play!"

I'd walk away from that car at £6k. More like £2500 and that's only because it's a Storm.

walk away from that car 6k !!!- has money pit written all over it - much better cars out there

check gumtree - vr6 in hillsborough northern ireland now reduced to £5500 - if i was in the market id be all over this

Edited by ger040

• Nearside Rear wheel bearing has slight play (2.6.2)
  • Offside Rear wheel bearing has slight play (2.6.2)

Nearly every MOT I've had this. The rear wheels have passive rear steering. They're supposed to have "play!"

I'd walk away from that car at £6k. More like £2500 and that's only because it's a Storm.

It's not really "rear steering", that was just marketing speak - the rear beam axle has a slight amount of movement in it alright, but bearings shouldn't be so loose that they result in "passive steering" at the back.

The wheel bearing thing is just because they are cup and cone integral to the disk and need to be adjusted from time to time to take any play out of them to allow for wear - most people (including me) forget, so hence why MOT/NCT testers will often comment on them as having excessive play. This is an outdated design, used on all the older VWs etc. and has been replaced by a more sensible cartridge bearing in newer models.

So if you see this, it most often just means pack new grease in there and tighten, otherwise replace the bearings.

walk away from that car 6k !!!- has money pit written all over it - much better cars out there

check gumtree - vr6 in hillsborough northern ireland now reduced to £5500 - if i was in the market id be all over this

Gumtree VR6

That's right on the money if it's as good as it looks. I've never seen a Rado with those Recaros before (needs a handbrake cover mind).

You'd also get a wee trip to N.Iron and the beautiful Hillsborough (The Queen has her local residence there). Bring a raincoat, you're guaranteed rain.

Ryanair/Easyjet over and Ferry from Belfast or Dublin back. I've done the reverse trip to buy almost every car I've owned. Less than £200 and a bit of an adventure and long drive home to get to know your new car.

It's not really "rear steering", that was just marketing speak - the rear beam axle has a slight amount of movement in it alright, but bearings shouldn't be so loose that they result in "passive steering" at the back.

The wheel bearing thing is just because they are cup and cone integral to the disk and need to be adjusted from time to time to take any play out of them to allow for wear - most people (including me) forget, so hence why MOT/NCT testers will often comment on them as having excessive play. This is an outdated design, used on all the older VWs etc. and has been replaced by a more sensible cartridge bearing in newer models.

So if you see this, it most often just means pack new grease in there and tighten, otherwise replace the bearings.

Aha! Mystery solved. Ok, I'll get them greased up pronto. Thanks! :cheers:

Edited by MikeVR6

Yeah, that looks like it's worth a visit if it's as good as it sounds - good asking price too. Those seats are US/Canada spec "Red Dot" Recaros, am I wrong?

Are we talking about the Zender ones on the Storm? I'd happily take 1.3k from someone for those. They're sh1t3 lookin'

Especially with the waaaay too low stance and stretched tyres.

No the Stock option LHD Recaros - half leathers, possibly the only set on a RHD car in the world I imagine.

I believe from seeing these seats in the past that they were a LHD euro option but maybe available in the North American market.

For some reason I read "Seats" as "Wheels" :)

Yeah the Recaros are worth a few bob for sure.

But the wheels are an acquired taste and probably worth a few quid too. Not in keeping with a Storm IMO and definitely not with stretched tyres.

Yeah, that looks like it's worth a visit if it's as good as it sounds - good asking price too. Those seats are US/Canada spec "Red Dot" Recaros, am I wrong?

Worth a look for you. Folk in England won't drive any distance to buy a car. You gotta travel to get the good ones!

Just get plenty of pics sent to you and ask the right questions before you set off.